Second Skin Audio

Plexi question

So i saw a car once at a local high end shop called AutoWerks a show car they did and the armrest was made out of plexi. It was about 3" thick and he said he made it out of 3/4" plexi pieces that he laminated/glued together. Thing is you couldnt see any of the seams or glue, it looked like one solid piece, and it was even lit up and you couldnt see it. Does anyone know how this was done?

The reason I ask is because i was toying with the idea of a plexi window. Problem is, 3/4" plexi is $$$. Im pretty sure 3/4" plexi is kinda extreme in some cases seeing as im pretty sure 1/4" plexi is stronger than 3/4" MDF. Rather than find out the hard way i was wondering if you can laminate 3 pieces of 1/4" plexi together to make a 3/4" piece. The piece would be frosted and i dont know if itd be lit or not (probably cuz its plexi, so why not, maybe find a cool way to light it up something a bit more unique than the traditional just putting LEDs in the box). And i dont want it to look like ish if i try it. So i figured id ask some of you guys if you know anything.

ALSO: I figured i could put this in the Fabrication section, but since its for a box i figured it could go here too, also this area seems to get more traffic. If it needs to be moved, please move it for me.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

I bought a 12"x7" piece of 3/4" thick and it was $17.

We have a plastics place locally and they have a scrap bin, which is sold by the piece cheaper.

if you laminate them there is acrylic glue, the glue is like water, and will wick its way between the peices perfectly most of the time. but if it has an air pocket it will look bad.

the 3/4" will save you some trouble. I wouldn't want to drill a piece that is laminated. I am not sure the the glue layer will act when its drilled.

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

do the 3/4 plexi. hell I think you can get it at lowes. if you are going to light it with any type of edge lighting method you are going to want the 3/4 anyways. I can only imagine what a pain in the ass drilling into a 1/4 piece of plexi would be.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

You are better off with a bigger piece of plexi.

You should use an UV activated glue between the sheets and apply even pressure to avoid bubbles and waves in the material

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Where can i buy smaller cut to order pieces? Only places ive found (havent looked that hard) sell it by lager sheets and its like 250 for a 3' x 4 ' sheet or something like that.

woman..cant live with em...cant shoot em...guess were all fucked

You might be a Redneck if you use your leftover gutters for a speaker box port...

YOU JUST LOST THE GAMER.I.P. Blazer=========================Last setup was in the 141s on music (37hz) with 2 12s and 1kw in a 4dr blazer.2010 Mitsubishi Lancer DE2 12in Clarions (kept from blazer)HiFonics BRZ1700.1d (at 2 ohms BLOWN) [JBL GTS180X for subs currently 60wRMS x2ch!!!!!! This works for till i get the blown amp fixed] Alpine 4ch salvaged from blazer (currently near death)9887 peerless 7s in the doors and CDT tweeters ran active no speakers in the rearKintik HC1400 under the hood.metered once a while ago, dont remember it...was piss poor compared to the blazer, mid 130s i think....looking to replace subs and amp when i have money.

um, 1/4 inch plex is NOT stronger than 3/4" MDF. If 1/4" plex is used on a box it would flex more than Arnold.

3/4" plex isnt too expensive and you can find some at select products or e-plastics.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion