windows 7 ram problem

ahh you are right newls1, i called gigabyte and the nice chinese lady said "nooooooo you have to use the white dimm's not the blue dimm's"

I had 1 white and 1 blue, so put the other 1 in the white, and bingo! I now have 3.50 useable gb, the other .5 i believe is used for hardware. wohooo!

I do have a little experience with this stuff ;) . Enjoy it, play some good games for me would ya! Did you ENABLE MEMORY REMAPPING? and you need to set the memory timings manually, im sure gigabytes SPD timings are RELAXED for compatability, not SPEED and overall performance....... Also, play with your mem dividers and make sure your using the ram at its designed speed. I'll bet you are only using a DDR1066 divider, not DDR1333 or 1600 like that mem should be on. I could make that PC fly, if it were infront of me......

Edited by newls1

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

sa = system admin

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Right up there with 'go for it, the whole rack is on a UPS...'

BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!BEEP!!!!!

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I dont know why you are only seeing 3.5gb if you have 4gb installed.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are running 32bit windows and the only reason I say this is because 32 bit windows will only address a max of 4gig of memory.

So I assume you must have a 500mb video card

4gb - 500mb =3.5gb

when I say address 4 gig of memory that includes System Ram, Video card Ram, System cache, bios memory. 32 bit windows will use all available memory to get to 4gb before addressing system ram that is why I am thinking you are only seeing 3.5gb.

Edited by Hotdog

I dont know why you are only seeing 3.5gb if you have 4gb installed.

I have a sneaking suspicion that you are running 32bit windows and the only reason I say this is because 32 bit windows will only address a max of 4gig of memory.

So I assume you must have a 500mb video card

4gb - 500mb =3.5gb

when I say address 4 gig of memory that includes System Ram, Video card Ram, System cache, bios memory. 32 bit windows will use all available memory to get to 4gb before addressing system ram that is why I am thinking you are only seeing 3.5gb.

I have already been thru this with him, and he said that he wasn't a n00b and he is using a 64bit OS.... This is more then likely a BIOS issue, since he cant seem to find memory remapping in his BIOS. Once that gets enabled the full4GB should read inside windows. So 64bit/32bit, this issue seems to be a bios issue. Even Win7 32bit reads 4GB inside the OS, but can it use it effectively.........hell no!

His motherboard supports 16gig of ram

Memory

Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin

Memory Standard DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800

Maximum Memory Supported 16GB

Channel Supported Dual Channel

Motherboard specs

I guess I cant rule that out but would seem odd for the manufacture to give support for 16gb of memory but only have 4gb available in bios. I have an older gigabyte board then this and have 8gig of ram use Windows 7 64bit and it shows all 8gb.

His motherboard supports 16gig of ram

Memory

Number of Memory Slots 4×240pin

Memory Standard DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800

Maximum Memory Supported 16GB

Channel Supported Dual Channel

Motherboard specs

I guess I cant rule that out but would seem odd for the manufacture to give support for 16gb of memory but only have 4gb available in bios. I have an older gigabyte board then this and have 8gig of ram use Windows 7 64bit and it shows all 8gb.

Whats the point? Not trying to be a dick, but his FIX is to ENABLE memory remapping, and he is fixed. He just needs to find that option in the bios ................../end thread.

For the record, a PC CAN post AND boot with faulty RAM. Sometimes, the only way to know for sure is to test it

using tools like memtest86.

he is seeing 3.5gb so I would not think it is faulty ram. From my experience if you have faulty ram it either

A) does not post

B) Will post but not read the faulty memory that is in the slot

in his case it is reading both and I have never seen faulty ram only address 1.5gb of the total 2gb