How I make my connections

Oh I know exactly what you mean, it's just a weird quirk I have.

Anyway, you didn't say who you installed for? I'm interested in becoming an installer myself but really the only people around here that will get you started with no proof of experience is best buy. Out of the two real shops we have they both are kinda full as well as looking for people who have been in the business. So it's kinda hard for someone to get on their feet as an installer.

www.dukescarstereo.com

I've been working there for about three years now... I started when I was going to college. I've since graduated with a bachelors and can't find shit in Michigan's economy :) I worked part time while going to school, and when I graduated we had lost an installer so I just started working full time... Now we are really down a man because my boss is out for a month due to surgery... So I figured I'd stick around for one more remote start season then really start looking for a new job.

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

www.dukescarstereo.com

I've been working there for about three years now... I started when I was going to college. I've since graduated with a bachelors and can't find shit in Michigan's economy :) I worked part time while going to school, and when I graduated we had lost an installer so I just started working full time... Now we are really down a man because my boss is out for a month due to surgery... So I figured I'd stick around for one more remote start season then really start looking for a new job.

Damn that's cool. It's one thing to have to move on but another to actually have the balls to help them out when they are short of staff.

So what kind of prior experience did you have upon getting the job?

userbar651078zu3.gif

MECP_SMALL.jpgCERTIFIED BITCHES!!!

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

I do the same on my connections but solder them. However I never twist the wire strippers, I can pretty much figure he gauge, I think one time, long long long ago I did that and arc'd my crimpers on the column... also I did it when poking the hook tool through..a bit too far.

Please use your degree and don't waste your education in this industry :)

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

Please use your degree and don't waste your education in this industry :)

Oh by all means of course.

However, I would love to work in the industry throughout school. As of now I'm remodeling houses and about to start class again coming up in spring. Some steady income would be a lifesaver, and I figure since I forced myself to learn the trade I might as well put that knowledge to work.

userbar651078zu3.gif

Not being new at something doesn't mean anything. Just because a prostitute isn't new at what she does, doesn't change the fact that she still 'sucks'

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

• 3 weeks later...
why not go ahead and solder it? you are already in there. You don't think that current draw through those wires will cause them to corrode over time?

Nope I don't think they will corrode. The method I showed is the same one that Directed shows at their snake pit training, so I would say it's sufficient enough if they are telling you to make connections this way. And if I soldered every remote start I did I would maybe get three done a day if I'm lucky. When I worked at circuit city way back I soldered everything...

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

why not go ahead and solder it? you are already in there. You don't think that current draw through those wires will cause them to corrode over time?

No, the way those splice and tapping connections work, the wires just don't corrode.

The thing with solder vs. no solder works is:

With proper solder connections, it is 100%

With proper unsoldered connections it's still 100%, you just get poked fun at by the solder Nazi's.

userbar651078zu3.gif

Click to see my build!

Proud DC owner

No, the way those splice and tapping connections work, the wires just don't corrode.

The thing with solder vs. no solder works is:

With proper solder connections, it is 100%

With proper unsoldered connections it's still 100%, you just get poked fun at by the solder Nazi's.

However any one feels about soldering, regardless, after a proper solder joint, you can walk away knowing that it will never be an issue.

SMD SuperSeller VerifiedJbondoXJames Shields

However any one feels about soldering, regardless, after a proper solder joint, you can walk away knowing that it will never be an issue.

same way if you're confident in your non solder joints when done properly :)

Nope I don't think they will corrode. The method I showed is the same one that Directed shows at their snake pit training, so I would say it's sufficient enough if they are telling you to make connections this way. And if I soldered every remote start I did I would maybe get three done a day if I'm lucky. When I worked at circuit city way back I soldered everything...

i connect wires exactly like you do, no solder.... and my connections are great, as well as fast...... which is ultimately what shops look for........

2003 Toyota Sequoia

Pioneer 4100dvd

Memphis PR6.5 3ways in all four doors

Memphis PR 15s (4)

Memphis PR 1.1000 (2)

Memphis PR 4.50 (1)

Optima Yellowtop (2)

Viper 5901

8000k H.I.D. kit

15% tint (2layers)

Archived