New Suburban - Only charges when needed?

damn, i am baffled!! I am driving this big ass presidential 2009 Black burban rental while my truck is getting fixed......anyway, i look down and its at like 12v so i think, damn its not charging! wtf! Not anywhere NEAR the 14v thing on the gauge. So i shut it off, turn it back on, it charges.....for about a minute. Then it drops back down. Well im about to call Enterprise (rentals) and tell em it isnt charging but then i drive it to work this morning and with the headlights on, it charges fine. As soon as the sun hit and the auto-lights went off, it dropped to 12v again......

ok i have 4 alts in my personal ride, you would think i would know something LOL - i have no idea whats going on here! Anyone with a newer Hoe or Burb know about this??

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

alt is shut off once batt is fully charged to 12.8 to conserve fuel iirc

how do they do that?

thats going to extreme lengths to save fuel

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

how do they do that?

thats going to extreme lengths to save fuel

google it, ull get plenty of answers

"This vehicle is also equipped with a voltage reduction systems that reduces the drag on the alternator to increase mileage."

Edited by Decaf

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

Yup Decafe's right, the newer burbans/tahoe are programed to set the voltage back down to 12.8v when the battery is fully charged. I though my alt was bad after I had installed my amps and saw the amp gauge going down to 12, when it was usually over the 14 mark.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....

Check under the hood. Is there a clutch on the alternator pulley, like the A/C compressor pulley. That is the only way they could get it to conserve fuel, buy not spinning the alternator armature. I see no reason why the charging system would be cycling on and off like that.

Check under the hood. Is there a clutch on the alternator pulley, like the A/C compressor pulley. That is the only way they could get it to conserve fuel, buy not spinning the alternator armature. I see no reason why the charging system would be cycling on and off like that.

or its computer controlled.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

damn, i am baffled!! I am driving this big ass presidential 2009 Black burban rental while my truck is getting fixed......anyway, i look down and its at like 12v so i think, damn its not charging! wtf! Not anywhere NEAR the 14v thing on the gauge. So i shut it off, turn it back on, it charges.....for about a minute. Then it drops back down. Well im about to call Enterprise (rentals) and tell em it isnt charging but then i drive it to work this morning and with the headlights on, it charges fine. As soon as the sun hit and the auto-lights went off, it dropped to 12v again......

ok i have 4 alts in my personal ride, you would think i would know something LOL - i have no idea whats going on here! Anyone with a newer Hoe or Burb know about this??

How do you like the ride in that 09 Burb?

2007 Chevy Suburban LT1

Pioneer AVH 5700 DVD

Diamond Audio D3 6 1/2 components

Kicker 06ZX650.4 amp

Kicker 06ZX2500.1 (x 2)

DC Sound Lab Level 4 18's with Level 5 coils

Autotek Mean Machine 400.1D (replaced)

Soon to come:

rims

body kit

flow master pipes

Confuscious say "he who say it can't be done shouldn't be bothering man busy doing it"

Now feel free to go crawl back under that rock and leave this to the professionals....