Sonic Electronix

Biggest Car Audio Mistakes?

buying cheap max rated amps expecting bigger numbers

Word.

I also did that when i was like 17. I bought a sony amp that did 1200 max and it did like 400 rms or less at 2ohms

Build Under Construction

Head Unit = Kenwood DDX514

Amps = Kicker 750.1, Going to install Sundown 1500D v3 and Sundown 125.4

Battery = XS D3400

Wires = Kicker RCA's, 0 Gauge street wire and Stinger

Mids and Highs = Stock

Sub= Kicker L7 12"

Alternator = 220 Mechman

Sound Deadner= Fatmat and Stinger Road Kill

Didn't disconnect battery power when connecting amp.

Arced screwdriver from Bat+ terminal to amp case.

Amp go poof.

I did same thing not too long ago, except it wasn't while installing the amp....I was troubleshooting and part of that included me swapping the speaker leads from one set of channels to the other, accidentally arced the screwdriver just like you said (except I was on the negative terminal of one of the speaker connections) and blew the pico fuse in my deck. It's all good though, I like my CDA-117 better. Amp made it out unharmed.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Buying cheap anything, especially rca's...bought atleast 4 sets of scorsche rca's before I bought a good set and I'll turn back.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Back in 89-90ish, I installed a small Alpine 3522 amp 60watts 4ohm on two Kenwood tens. The shitty tens in the factory made truck boxes with the tweeters in them. I used 10 guage wire for the amp (at the time I thought was gaint) anyways I went to the Auto parts store and bought my fuse holder. Now the problem it was wired already 18 gauge, Needless to say that Shit melted but didn't blow the fuse.

When I was installing at shop few yrs back out of thousands of installs the 2 major mistakes I made were. I was installing flip down tv in a expedition. I grabbed power from ign harness under dash and didn't fuse when I was installing all trim back the grab handle in the back b pillar pinched it and it acted like a dynamite fuse the wire turned red hot and burned through factory plastics and running board in seconds untill I pulled the wire from the t tap on the ign harness. 2nd was I was drilling a hole in a 90s burban through the passenger lower firewall for 0g and hit the a/c line with a brand new drill bit it puntured and dumped all the freon charge in the shop. Lol

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

Just recently started a build, saved my money for a few more weeks (been saving for 3 years)just to be sure this Jimmy would be sound enough to drive, ended up doing a full tune up to be sure! Everything was good (285,000) miles.... Anyway i ordered all my equipment then my engine blew head gaskets and some rings went out on me... Just my Luck, So now i have to get a new motor, replace (will be a bigger motor cause it's literally cheaper and a lot better that way :D ) before i can hear my stuff, oh well patience patience patience.

I cant tell you how many times I have face palmed doing half of what you guys have posted. I have forgotten to hook up rca ran screws thru remote and speaker wires no bracing and popped screws. The funniest was about 17 yrs ago when I was a complete noob to car audio and decided to do my first multisub install. I bought four 8 in series 1 Rockford subs. The box was marked 4ohm on the side. Well I series paralleled them on the back 2 channels of my amp and they did not hit nearly as hard as my previous series 1 10s. I was like wtf. Finally took it to the shop because I was pissed at myself especially when they pulled one out to check my wiring and it was wired correctly but my subs where 8ohm. Not completely my fault the box said 4 , must have been a bad day for a packager in AZ. I felt like an idiot there in bright red was 8ohm on the magnet total fail on my part for not paying attention.

Barstad

Setting my amp improperly with 600 watts going to a 8 in a Tline lol... I will admit i SUCK at tuning

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Archived