Sonic Electronix

Biggest Car Audio Mistakes?

Before I joined SMD I used a cheap line-out converter to connect my amp and subs to the factory HU, sent clipping signal to my subs. They would smoke at moderate volume.

Sold the subs for $60 to some guy off CL, I warned him they weren't in the best condition and practically forced him to hear them first. Next day he sends me an angry email. Fuckhead.

After I joined here, I built a box for a 15" RF Punch 1... 3.3 cubes@29hz, so I'd be able to swap out to something in the future like a lvl 4 or HDC, but only had 20 sq in of port. Hell you can see it in my log, see my sig.

2007 Pacifica
Rebuild. Less quiet. Still not loud.

Power to ground, ground to power...and it was the subs the smoked...

Dang. I did the same thing too...

But the amp smoked.

Cheap ass visonik.

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

I was referring to carshateme. How would the subs smoke since the amp should have blown if anything? I was calling bull, lol

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I was referring to carshateme. How would the subs smoke since the amp should have blown if anything? I was calling bull, lol

I knew something was up...

I read your post thinking in my head, "why didn't the amp smoke or blow fuses."

Haha

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

Don't know. Was drunk, saw smoke come out of the subs. The amp did fry itself. (a brand new crunch amp)....n I thought you blocked me teamth...guess not.

New build coming soon. [center][url="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/3/sigtoo.jpg/"][img]http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/9541/sigtoo.jpg[/img][/url][/center]

I'll play. Tonight while hooking up my 8's in my doors, I stumbled upon my sub hanging half in, half out of its hole in the enclosure. It had pulled all of its screws loose. Huh. I guess THAT's why it sounded ;like shit, and it wasn't blown. I'm troubleshooter #1 LOL.

Now about that DD 2512 on it's way because I thought my RF was dead.........crap.

Big 3 with 1/0 welding cable, dual runs of 1/0 and 2gua F-R

DD 2512 D2 powered by Audioque 1200d at 1ohm, 2.5ft^3 ported to 36Hz

Boston SX 6.0 comps powered by Phoenix Gold M50 for front stage

Silver Flute 8" midbass in doors powered by Alpine 3539

Alpine CDA-117 HU

the worst I ever did was back in 1999...I was tired, and rushing to get a brand new Tahoe done...I used my dremel to get through the harness boot to run the power cable....cut 13 of the wires in the harness. He almost died trying to make it through a light in "limp" mode because it didn't see half the stuff under the hood...only cost me $600 to have it repaired. I only made $300 on the job. I threw my Dremel out after that. I had been working professionally for 9 years at that point. Any skill level can make mistakes, and most mistakes experienced guys make are just carelessness.

Any installer who tells you they've never messed up a car is either lying, or is so new as to have next to zero experience.

Principal

JTech Consulting - Leader in 12-Volt Training and Product PlanningIt's not about how much power you have, but how well you use it

Me...today...finished my recones and THEN checked the impedance......coils read 2 ohms, I need 1 ohm coils.

Lesson: Check coils before reconing.

Then, I went and got my neighbor's Fluke......and the coils read 1 ohm.

Lesson: Get a better DMM.

1998 SS/T Ram Build Log

- Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation

- 2 DC Level 3 12"

- Components???

- Sundown ???

- Sundown???

- Knu Konceptz

- Second Skin Dampy Pro

- XS D6500

Me...today...finished my recones and THEN checked the impedance......coils read 2 ohms, I need 1 ohm coils.

Lesson: Check coils before reconing.

Then, I went and got my neighbor's Fluke......and the coils read 1 ohm.

Lesson: Get a better DMM.

ROFL COPTER

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Archived