Second Skin Audio

Trying My Hand At Fiberglass

I'm going to be attempting a custom fiberglass box for a single 12" Fi SSD & was wondering a few things about shaping. I want to make it kind of wavy. i'm planning a slight hump in the center where the subwoofer is, & dip it down and bring the wave back up on the edges.

(terrible rough shape done in windows paint)

boxdesign.jpg

would i have to do most of the shaping with the fleece & resin or would i do that more with the body filler? any tips on how i would pull this off? i have a few floating around in my head but i figured i would ask around here for more ideas.

also any tips on where to get body filler & resin at a decent price would be much appreciated? Is that more of a hardware store thing or could i get it at an auto parts store?

i would get some cardboard and draw out your waves how you want/like. then transfer it to some mdf and cut it out and get an outer shape. then lay your fleece over it and stretch it out and staple it down,so it flows with your waves. then just apply the resin and mat over it.

us composites for your resin

*** SuperSeller Status Verified *** ( http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers/ )

"kevosinn's" astro van
8 custom Sundown Zv4 18's
4 Sundown scv 6000's
CNF Distribution CNC parts
Skyhigh wire

some batteries

SMD Meters and tools used on the install
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172877-kevosinns-vanwest-coast-skyhigh-car-audio-vehicle/

16,000 watt walled silverado build.
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161965-walled-silverado-4-hdc4-15s-4-crescendo-3500s-and-much-more/

8,000 watt 1999 Subaru legacy outback. Build log here: http://www.stevemead...ru/page__st__60

TEAM CNF Distribution

the outer edge is not the problem its the inner part and getting the enclosure to flow still. You can make a skeleton for it and secure the fleece or what ever you are using to the skeleton to help maintain shape. Make sure you pull it tight.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

the outer edge is not the problem its the inner part and getting the enclosure to flow still. You can make a skeleton for it and secure the fleece or what ever you are using to the skeleton to help maintain shape. Make sure you pull it tight.

x Fn 2 i learned the hard way...the weight of the resin weighs down the fabric and gets lil waves that can suck to deal with when finishing. check out some other builds and ya will find something that will show more of what your wanting to do. might be easier to see pics instead of trying to explain it all lol but dont be scared to learn, bust out some resin and go nuts :yahoo:

you can get cheap bondo resin from any auto parts store and home depot.

you could splurge and get the better stuff, but for your first project theres really no point.

get some acetone to thin out the bondo resin with if it seems a little thicker then you would like.

And put some acetone in a seperate cup to keep your brushes in.. as long as the acetone is present the resin won't dry and you can keep your brush till you finish the project.

And put some acetone in a seperate cup to keep your brushes in.. as long as the acetone is present the resin won't dry and you can keep your brush till you finish the project.

coool beans bro, learn somethin new every day. have two bags of throw away wood brushes in the shop now, guess they will last longer now....lol

thanks for the tip!

and if you do get the home depot stuff, it has waxes in it, so sand it to scuff it up before the next layer.

06 2500hd, 6.0L, 4l80e, 4wd, (muah work truck)

7" BDS HC lift kit

(5) 37x13.5R18 Toyo Open Country M/Ts

(5) 18x10 Moto Metal MO962

tablet in lieu of deck

blue tooth interconnect to soundstream eq (for volume control and bass control)

4 Alpine type r 10's

6 cubes net, 80sqin's port, tuned to 33hz

2 brutus brx5000.5's

2 pairs 3" polk audio for a pillars

4 pairs polk audio 6.5 comps

1 pair 8" polk audio for mids

2 xspower d3400 batteries

.....learning alot from meade and his circle of some of the baddest installers ive seen- thanks guys, for not being so cocky and posting the way it should be done!

P.S. Thanks Steve....for the demo!!!! loud as fauk!

be sure to take lots of pics! Glassing is not that hard I glassed my door panels last month came out pretty good! That was my 1st time glassing. They say to use fleece, I used a tee shirt material! Well, I tried a fleece blanket at 1st it just sucked up all my resin, get material that is thin, its the mat that provides the strength not the fleece! Good Luck!

Alpine CDA-9847 HU

F Highs 2x Infinity Kappa 60.9CS Powered by Eclipse EA4200 Glass door panels

R Highs Infinity Ref. 9622i powered by HU

3x RF Punch HX2 RFD2210 Powered by MTX Thunder 81000D

Box Vol. 3.259 before displacement, Tuned 36.6, Port area 54"

i was thinking of the skeleton idea last night. when stapling the fleece to the skeleton & pulling the fleece tight.... if it creates slightly sharp angles where it's stapled, will the body filler help smooth that out? will too big of clumps come loose or does it all harden into 1 thick ass layer? i only ask cuz if i am hoping to do it all in 1 coat & sand it all out to shape it, but i don't want to get it all painted (decided on House Of Kolor's Black Pearl) & have pieces of it cracking off. if it's better to do multiple thin layers layers to get it right then thats what i'll do, but if i can do it in 1 i'de like to do it in 1. i've just never worked with the stuff before so i'm not sure what would be more structurally sound with this material.

Thanks for all the help & tips, I really appreciate it.

Archived