Sonic Electronix

Amps Overheating Majorly Need Advice on Cooling

OK... here's the solution I came up with... I am going to have the back window tinted with commercial metal reflective film and then right under the epicenter, I am going to cut a notch away from the bottom of the truck (next to the batteries) where it will leave about 2-3 inch by 6-8 inch slot for air to go under the back hatch when it is closed. The back bumper lip should keep water from directly going straight up into the amp rack... Any thoughts on this solution guys before I cut my truck up?!?! Oh.. and I added 2 more fans, under the AQ amps to help at least move some of the superheated air around for now! LOL!

OK... here's the solution I came up with... I am going to have the back window tinted with commercial metal reflective film and then right under the epicenter, I am going to cut a notch away from the bottom of the truck (next to the batteries) where it will leave about 2-3 inch by 6-8 inch slot for air to go under the back hatch when it is closed. The back bumper lip should keep water from directly going straight up into the amp rack... Any thoughts on this solution guys before I cut my truck up?!?! Oh.. and I added 2 more fans, under the AQ amps to help at least move some of the superheated air around for now! LOL!

Good luck!

Tell me how it turns out!

Some people could care less about who the genius is that is making the product... They just want to get it cheap and say "derrrr, look at teh pretty lights in muh dash!"

Because audio is a lifestyle not a hobby.

Things that I am allergic too....

1. Haters
  2. Bitch Notes

what about a push pull setup?

push the hot air from the top and suck it out at the bottom. the bottom fans should force the hot air out. may help a little.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Definitely should do a puch pull set-up, had an old laptop that i made a custom cooling stand for and it brought the temp overall down like 15 degrees. The water cooled idea would be awesome. for the push pull, if you looked at the truck from the back should do

fans blowing under the amp (for each amp)

amps

fans sucking air out of the bottom of the amp (for each amp)

fans blowing air out of the vent thing you are making

if you have room to do a vent on each side of the truck should have one sucking air in and pushing it out. 120mm case fans would work awesome.

"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

I think doing the Tint is your best bet. As dark as you can go (5%), reflective or not, I dont think that will help all and all too much (but maybe a tad).

Fans = useless, UNLESS you have a way to bring fresh air in, and old air out. Otherwise you would just be moving the hot air around doing nothing but blowing hot air on hot amps.

Why don't you take it to tj's whole sale produce and sock rental I'm sure he can hook you up right....lol

I would change out the A/B class amp. :peepwall:

It's get's so hot because it isn't very efficient and it puts out a lot of power.

If u would use a efficient class D amp everything would run cooler for sure.

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

if that one amp is this much of a pain in the ass id just get rid of it, by the time you find a solution that works youll probably spend what another one would cost lol

Fusion With A Stetsom 4k2d on 2 DC XL 15s tuned to 31hz and Subs and ports forward

The Revolution Was Not Televised

But There Is This Thread(clicky)

Dr Merkenstein is my 360 gamertag and my profession. When shit gets real, call in the Doc

Why don't you take it to tj's whole sale produce and sock rental I'm sure he can hook you up right....lol

What's funny... is Charlie is telling the truth! We have a guy in our town that does systems and sells socks! (You thought the computers and decals were an odd combination!)We will post some of his work, we are redoing a system that he did... I think everyone on the SMD forums will love the pics when we post them!

OK... Here's what I had done so far... I blacked out the window with black vinyl and added 2 more fans to at least move some of the hot air around... The next step is going to be swap out that US Amps amp... Then I will work on cutting the bottom out for a fresh air vent... Does anyone know of any good 4 channel class d amps?

SORRY THE PICS ARE BLURRY... RAINY, HUMID AND CELL PHONE CAMERA... NEED I SAY MORE?!

9f4ebd6a.jpg

6036aabf.jpg

922e73a2.jpg

Archived