Sonic Electronix

Blowthrough and cold weather

Hey i will most likely be doing a blowthrough in my ext cab truck and the subs and batterys and maybe my amp will be in the bed, my question is will it do damage to anything that i live in minnesota and the winters get fairly cold.. like the batteries or subs getting "too cold"

I understand that the cab will get cold as well but i would guess the bed gets a bit more frigid and maybe never really warms up completely, Opinions?

Thanks, Austin

My First Build on SMD (Blow Through)

2004 Ford F-350 SD Lariat

Pioneer 3200BT DVD Deck

Infinity Reference Components not powered

Bully Dog Gauge Cluster Pyro, Turbo, Trans

SF3 SCT Tuner W/Customs

If you can't Join em' Crush em'

Hey i will most likely be doing a blowthrough in my ext cab truck and the subs and batterys and maybe my amp will be in the bed, my question is will it do damage to anything that i live in minnesota and the winters get fairly cold.. like the batteries or subs getting "too cold"

I understand that the cab will get cold as well but i would guess the bed gets a bit more frigid and maybe never really warms up completely, Opinions?

Thanks, Austin

dont quote me on it, but it can be harmful for your batt and sub. ive read a ton of things that when batts get cold they dont put out as much power as they can. but for the woofer, it will put the same power out BUT ive heard a lot of ripped spiders, surrounds and things like that from it being so cold and stiff that people will jump in their car, crank their radio, and screw up their woofer. personally, my old woofer was a little 250 watt rms 12" woofer. i had that in my trunk in weather that was 10 degrees Fahrenheit before the wind chill. i was a tard and cranked it up instantly since i love my music that way and i didnt hurt anything. but i by no means want to, or am saying to do that. i will NEVER do that to my new woofer, my old one had 1 spider. my new woofer has 4 spiders, so im sure i will rip some of them from it being stiff in the cold weather.

If anything, before you go blasting your music, see how stiff the woofer is with a small flick. if it moves less than if it was at normal temperature, DONT CRANK IT UP! and another thing to keep in mind, at higher volumes the voice coil, amp, and everything else get warmer and warmer. so if you get the amp and sub hot in the cab from bumping around and you let it sit in a parking lot and it cools off fast, it could shorten your life of the amp and woofer fast.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Well I wouldn't feel safe bumpin rift quick when I hop in but how could I ever prevent cooling to fast :)

My First Build on SMD (Blow Through)

2004 Ford F-350 SD Lariat

Pioneer 3200BT DVD Deck

Infinity Reference Components not powered

Bully Dog Gauge Cluster Pyro, Turbo, Trans

SF3 SCT Tuner W/Customs

If you can't Join em' Crush em'

Well I wouldn't feel safe bumpin rift quick when I hop in but how could I ever prevent cooling to fast :)

Insulation. Either around the bed or on the amps. I'd go for in the bed as if it's around the amps then they will cook. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't cool down too fast though. It's better they be cold than hot.

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

As with most materials in cold weather the woofers will be a bit brittle. Whether it be the cone, spiders, etc...

Treat them like a motor and "warm" them up a little bit. Maybe let them play at a low vol before cranking it up or while your vehicle warms up. I'd imagine going from 0db, 0 watts to 140db and 1500watts full tilt in the cold could break something.

Derp.

i may be wrong but im pretty sure i remotely remember somebody on this site saying something about the extreme cold and slightly changing the resistance of the coils which would change the power it sees too just so you know

I don't fuck around. I go from zero to I hope you die in less than 2 posts

build log http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/104524-new-subs-coming-sundown-3500d-arc-audio-cable-lacing-crescendo/

I would imagine the cold mess with the imp rise? Would keep it down i would think..

Jeep Cherokee 4dr -4.75 in front, new rusty's 4.5 in rear leafs -micky thompson 35x14.50x15 -locker rear -Rusty's offroad Engine/transmission/transfer case/crossmember/gas tank skid plates -Warn front bumper with 8000lb winch -Custom rear bumper -Warrior product tube doors (summertime) -Optima redtop (starter) -26XK miles and still runs like a bat out of hell

Kenwood H/U

1/0 wire,

136 amp alt 200 ah batteries 12.7 daily

2 Apsm 1500 @ 2 ohm strapped on zv3 d1 with ns softparts

Mb quart 125.4 wired to 4 aura 6's

3.6 cube box tuned to 36 plays down to 23hz

Archived