Sonic Electronix

Honestly id say fuck kicker. I have had 3 subs from them. All underpowered to shit and setup on oscopes and they all blew. They deft do not run at rms rating and no matter what heat up fast and smell like shit.

what we have here is a classic case of operator error.

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Well either way I'm going to get a smd and make a box (if someone on here that is reputable can get me a schematic or anything on the size or how to cut the boards out right. Please help me (and go ahead and start the noob shit that all of you do on here but you all were noobs as well and I can learn fast if someone who knows their shit tells me how to do it)

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Well either way I'm going to get a smd and make a box (if someone on here that is reputable can get me a schematic or anything on the size or how to cut the boards out right. Please help me (and go ahead and start the noob shit that all of you do on here but you all were noobs as well and I can learn fast if someone who knows their shit tells me how to do it)

so what exactly is your basis for wanting the smd? one thing you have to remember is that you will need alot of space for this sub. large internal volume means large port area, so you have to compensate for that as well. mounting depth is 16.5 inches, another inch if you add the bolt, as well as the physical displacement of the sub, so you may want to do some checking first to make sure one would fit before you get your heart set on one.....

Owner of BigAss Ports

VTLOGOnotext.jpg.667f65a91c14a3f8b00ad9ab5ecdb92f.jpg

Wow. Honestly if you can give it the correct box and more power, your better off with a different sub.

Anything less than 3000rms, a Mayhem will be louder.

And its not rocket science to build a box, you can pay somebody a few dollars and get a design and cut sheet.

Disagree, i think total mayhem said his smd is louder than his mayhem. even underpowered.

its a myth that even ed bust with the tsns, and posted a vid.

they get loud even underpowered very efficient..

Edit: the install and box matter alot tho

Both of you are correct....the truth is my single SMD 18 in the same box as I had my 2 Mayhems in. I ran a AQ 2200d @.5 and best score (in a burb) was 148.6 @41 hz on music. Smd 18 on a DD M3 @.5 I just did 147.0 @ 39hz on music. The single SMD is almost just as loud as the 2 Mayhems but the SMD is waaaaaay cleaner and plays lower easier..... But sir.....you need to get the proper enclosure for EITHER WOOFER. My box is 14.5 cubes before displacemnet so I have the optimal required space for either woofer. Both are great woofers and will do what you intened for them to do, but only in the right box. PLEASE DONT DESTROY one of these by not doing the right thing!

LOUDEST PHUKN BURB N LA COUNTY!!!!

Team SoCal SPL

Team Sundown

underpowering isnt going to hurt anything look at the madman from Team SPB with his SMDs and only running 500watts to them and they pound. your stetsom will do just fine but i wouldnt recommend ussing the same box. IMO

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/83854-4-ascendant-smd-18s-25-30kwrms-teamspb-project-dfn-u-termlab-scores-last-page/

Current

Ford F350

Alpine IVA-W505

2x Diamond s600

1x Diamond S400

2x RF T1500-1BD

1x RF T600-4

2x AA Havoc 12"

DC Power 230XP

1/0 throughout

Up Next

95 2dr Tahoe

Head Unit= Alpine IVA-W505

Components= 2 Diamond S400, 2 Diamond S500, 2 Diamond S600

Woofers= 2 10" Diamond Hex, 2 12" Diamond D9

Amps= 3 RF T1000-4

Processor= 2 RF 3sixty.2

Subs= 4 18" AA Mayhem

Amps 4 RF T2500-1 BDCP

7 XS Power D3100

3 DC Power 270+

I never said it would hurt underpowering the SMD. Just saying why spend extra couple hundred dollars to buy a sub that doesn't fit his install like a cheaper priced sub would?

Maybe I'm stupid and liking to match wattage and box, spending less money in the process.

SMD MSRP is almost twice of the Mayhem. ;)

That could be a major difference.

Also, OP- Nobody told you to put a SMD in a prefab box, they said get a box built locally. Plenty of people build boxs. You could if you tried. Like I said somebody can draw you up plans and a cut sheet, Lowes will cut the wood for you. I'll assume you own a drill, just screw/glue to together. Then buy a cheap Jigsaw, and still you'll come out ahead of money. Instead of paying somebody.

If I were you I would focus more on finding the problem. The last thing you need after this stuff is to go and fry another expensive sub. Even with the SMD if you continue doing what you did with the Solo-X the exact same thing will happen. In higher end car audio you can't just turn it up. There are limits and if you step outside of them you just wasted a butt ton of money.

If at first you do not succeed, you are doing it wrong! -ARS
UnderLoK-Tanq-SMD-Forum-resized.jpg
Check out my walled TBSS build over here
4 Fi Team 18s on 2 Cactus K9
DS18 doors on 2 MBQ 1Ks, Vifa pillars on a STL4.500
Pioneer X8500
6 XS Power D7500, 1 3400S
Second Skin
2 270a Mechman Alts

I think I know what went wrong. My subs never had a subsonic filter. So I think I bottomed the subs out several times. Espically since my solox smelled like it was burning when I had hip hop on and it had real low frequencies playing. How can I fix this without getting an amp? Shoukd I just stop playing low ass music? I only really listen to rock music so if possible id want to filter out the subsonic lows. Lemme know how to do this.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

I never said it would hurt underpowering the SMD. Just saying why spend extra couple hundred dollars to buy a sub that doesn't fit his install like a cheaper priced sub would?

Maybe I'm stupid and liking to match wattage and box, spending less money in the process.

SMD MSRP is almost twice of the Mayhem. ;)

That could be a major difference.

Also, OP- Nobody told you to put a SMD in a prefab box, they said get a box built locally. Plenty of people build boxs. You could if you tried. Like I said somebody can draw you up plans and a cut sheet, Lowes will cut the wood for you. I'll assume you own a drill, just screw/glue to together. Then buy a cheap Jigsaw, and still you'll come out ahead of money. Instead of paying somebody.

cant argue with you at all on this. I agree 100%

LOUDEST PHUKN BURB N LA COUNTY!!!!

Team SoCal SPL

Team Sundown

I think I know what went wrong. My subs never had a subsonic filter. So I think I bottomed the subs out several times. Espically since my solox smelled like it was burning when I had hip hop on and it had real low frequencies playing. How can I fix this without getting an amp? Shoukd I just stop playing low ass music? I only really listen to rock music so if possible id want to filter out the subsonic lows. Lemme know how to do this.

Stetsom amps have a subsonic filter. It was probably just set to 10hz or way to low for your box. It's possible that the hip hop songs you were playing were badly clipped, so no matter how your gain was set your sub was getting a dirty signal and that cooked it.

Edit. The low pass filter on Stetsom amps are 50hz-8khz so it's a possibility the low pass was set way to high which I've heard will fry the tinsel leads. Just another possibility that might have killed your sub.

4 fully loaded Fi sp4 15's

2 Crescendo bc5500s

Crescendo c1100.4

6 focal mids

Vifa tweets

5 XS Power d3100's

Pioneer avh-p4200dvd

All crammed into a mustang.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150569-mikeg321s-fi-nendo-mustang-getting-walled-videos-page-4/

Archived