Sonic Electronix

1/2" roundover bit on 3/4" mdf?

Alright, settle this dispute for me.

I'm trying to get my boxes built this weekend, one for a DD 2512 and another for 2 SA-12's. Both boxes are being built with 3/4" wood, birch for the SA's, MDF for the 2512. For both I want to round over the port walls, port opening and all outer edges. Both boxes will have a double baffle so I can flush mount the subs. I was under the impression that because i'm using 3/4" wood that I need a 3/4" roundover bit....but my boy is telling me the 3/4" roundover bit would only be for the double baffle edges (and only after they're attached to each other). He said if I use a 3/4" roundover bit on a 3/4" panel that it won't come out right because there won't be anything for the bearing to ride on. He said I should use a smaller bit for all but when I router the edges of the double baffle. I think he thinks I want the roundover on the double baffle to be as it would if it were a solid 1.5" panel but I don't, I just want to roundover the edge of the top baffle only. At the end of the day, I just don't want there to be any sharp corners on my boxes, I want them all rounded over. So am I right that I need to use a 3/4" bit? Can I use a smaller bit and still end up with a nicely rounded edge?

Another thing that has been bugging me, will a 3/4" roundover bit hit the screws used to hold the panels together?

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

i use half inch on most round overs.

3/4 or 1inch on others, depends what its for..

However the wood thickness has nothing to do with which size round over bit you use. The size of the bit is just how big the roundover will be.

but as james said, 3/8 and up roundovers will normally hit scree heads. I nail and glue my boxes.

When you guys use nails I'm assuming you use bradnails ? what size do you use?

REST IN PARADISE BIG RICH (Sqmonte) never forgotten

Why do you guys ALWAYS dispute on NUMBERS?????

It's such a played out argument, so fucking annoying....

It's 12 fuckin 15's.... It's louder than you... Shut the fuck up...

/Rant

:)

I'm so jealous, it makes me want to club baby seals. That shit gets down HARD!

dont buy from knowledge he will scam you.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/30995-official-knowledge-feedback/

How dumb of an idea would it be for me to remove the screws after the glue dries and then roundover?

not a dumb idea the screws arent holding anythign anyhow
Nice. I guess that would be the way to go then. Thanks for the help :drink40:

And to make it look real nice either fill the hole where the screw was and sand, or countersink the screw and use filler over the top. Then sand and paint B)

My RE MT 18" wall build Former build, farewell beloved wall.In progress, Toyota Starlet build

This forum has a massive boner for ridiculous electrical upgrades.

How dumb of an idea would it be for me to remove the screws after the glue dries and then roundover?

Thats what I do. I always use screws when I am building. Then take em out when the glue dries. At that point its just extra weight.

TeamDeadlyHertz-PUNKYOU007.png

d(-__-)b

beer sucks...but i can bring some jose cuervo. Only problem is that it makes me horny and gives me the rams. So unless yall wanna fight and then have some great make up sex i will leave it home.

Archived