Second Skin Audio

Planning new wall; Opinions?

Cynicz

It's hard to beat SQ on price vs performance. I just personally think that you are attempting to go WAYYY complicated in something that can be done VERY simply while achieving the goals that you want.

hmm so what would you suggest? I want to wall with 4 15s i know that. so what would you suggest? right now i got like 5grand im willing to spend and i dont mind saving more for a nice wall.

Dual or triple alts is fine. I'd stick with that, strong electrical is the HEART of a system. I am going to recommend Singer Alternators, Mechman Alternators, and DC Power Engineering.

I do not recommend going with a 14v or 16v system as a daily. I recommend running a large bank of BADASS batteries. 4 XS Power D7500's has been proven to support 10k easy. Several runs of 1/0 front to back, including ground runs. A discussion with a guy like Mike Singer will gain you a LOT of electrical knowledge pertaining to your vehicle.

.5 ohm a piece on 4 amps may cause you some problems. A single larger amp could make for less headaches and issues in the long run. A DC9k, Ampere tfe8.0k, b2 M1u. 8-10k+ out of those amps is more than capable.

I'm gonna leave it at that. I can't give you a whole lot of advice when building a wall seeing as I have not personally built one myself. I have done lots of research as to building one, though. And it would be a GREAT idea to build the port LARGE. It's easier to SHRINK than it is to EXPAND.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

It's hard to beat SQ on price vs performance. I just personally think that you are attempting to go WAYYY complicated in something that can be done VERY simply while achieving the goals that you want.

hmm so what would you suggest? I want to wall with 4 15s i know that. so what would you suggest? right now i got like 5grand im willing to spend and i dont mind saving more for a nice wall.

Dual or triple alts is fine. I'd stick with that, strong electrical is the HEART of a system. I am going to recommend Singer Alternators, Mechman Alternators, and DC Power Engineering.

I do not recommend going with a 14v or 16v system as a daily. I recommend running a large bank of BADASS batteries. 4 XS Power D7500's has been proven to support 10k easy. Several runs of 1/0 front to back, including ground runs. A discussion with a guy like Mike Singer will gain you a LOT of electrical knowledge pertaining to your vehicle.

.5 ohm a piece on 4 amps may cause you some problems. A single larger amp could make for less headaches and issues in the long run. A DC9k, Ampere tfe8.0k, b2 M1u. 8-10k+ out of those amps is more than capable.

I'm gonna leave it at that. I can't give you a whole lot of advice when building a wall seeing as I have not personally built one myself. I have done lots of research as to building one, though. And it would be a GREAT idea to build the port LARGE. It's easier to SHRINK than it is to EXPAND.

Thanks much for the solid advice. i planned on going with like 2 mechman 300s for alts or basically whoever can give me the best deal for 2 300-320s. (ofcourse i only planned on messaging the companies you mentioned and possibly ohio gen) I have kind of leaned out of the 16v system and sticking with a 12v just much easier, and easier to recharge the caps. However against what you said on batteries i plan on sticking with caps just because there is less bounce, alot lighter and i can fit more power in caps than the space of a battery. since it is a daily truck keeping it as lightweight as possible to keep the fuel mileage up a hair is ideal haha.

on to the amp comment i think i may buy 2 sq3500 for their sale price of 600 ea and wire them to 1ohm each (should see 7k-8k at 14volts) and then for burping wire them to a quarter ohm each. then with 2 amps i can strap them and use 1 set of filters/gain and 1 bass knob and keep it alot simpler.

im not too worried about my electrical because i plan to slightly overkill it. 2 runs of power off each alt, then dual inputs to every power/ground on the amp off cap bank which will be 4 power wires per 3500.

Once again i appreciate all advice guys! keep the conversation going to help me decide.

also since my ADD is kicking in and ive jumped back and forth on this response, to you saying get a large single amp, id like to stick with 1 brand throughout my build just for cleanliness and so my OCD doesnt kick my ass haha. i wont completely mark off a single amp but yea! if i do a single large amp i only have half ohm and 2ohm wiring options.

EDIT: also a quick question, if i ground out my cap bank straight to the frame, whats the benefits of running grounds from alt when the alts are grounded to the frame anyways?

and i updated amp section on first post so do these options seem more viable im leaning toward the 2 sq3500 now since they are on sale for 600$ ea.

Either of the following combinations (help me decide) looking to stay below 2 grand for amps (mind you these numbers arent including any rises, these are the top of the spectrum at absolutely max power, voltage and unlikely circumstance but why not account for these anyways :P )
* B2M1u - Running at 0.5Ω daily & burping (4950w @ 14.4v per sub theorycrafting) $2000
* Two Crescendo5500 - Running at 1Ω daily & Burping (2900w @ 13.8v per sub theorycrafting) $2000
* Two SoundQubed3500 - 8600w @ 14.4v - running at 1Ω daily & 0.25Ω burping (2150w @ 14.4 daily & 7000w @ 14.4v burping per sub theorycrafting) $1200

Forget the interchangeable port. Driver side port, like 200sq-in of area. 4 cubes a piece. 20 cubes gross should get you right where iy needs to be.

There's a guy in Texas that runs a 99 silverado daily driven with 4 b2 15s on a zero1. Same style setup as what you want. Play lots of music. It does a high 155. Can hairtrick super easy. Plus its removable. Full wall removable.

Got a demo of it on White Clouds, it was super loud. Wonder how it sounds on the new subs

OP I can tell you from personal experience, HDC4s have a hard time getting LOW LOW, they can play down to 33Hz no prob, but it will roll off bad after that.

You could tune low, but then you're fighting against what the sub likes

I built my wall 2 months ago and it gets pretty nasty 33-50Hz, It's temporary and I will rebuild properly in the summer. Thought about a removable port but I don't think that's my route.

For reference, Andrew (The Black Nasty) has a range of 31-50Hz. So optimally built, that's the bandwidth you can expect. They also like really big boxes.

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

The Build Log

Forget the interchangeable port. Driver side port, like 200sq-in of area. 4 cubes a piece. 20 cubes gross should get you right where iy needs to be.

There's a guy in Texas that runs a 99 silverado daily driven with 4 b2 15s on a zero1. Same style setup as what you want. Play lots of music. It does a high 155. Can hairtrick super easy. Plus its removable. Full wall removable.

Got a demo of it on White Clouds, it was super loud. Wonder how it sounds on the new subs

OP I can tell you from personal experience, HDC4s have a hard time getting LOW LOW, they can play down to 33Hz no prob, but it will roll off bad after that.

I built my wall 2 months ago and it gets pretty nasty 33-50Hz, It's temporary and I will rebuild properly in the summer. Thought about a removable port but I don't think that's my route.

For reference, Andrew (The Black Nasty) has a range of 31-50Hz. So optimally built, that's the bandwidth you can expect. They also like really big boxes.

yeah i came across andrew and messaged him, i may be having him build my wall if hes ok with it since i do alot of work about 30-45mins from where he lives. and the lowest note i really play is like 28hz so my lows are like 28-34s haha.

and ive noticed they like large boxes and i dont mind building the wall in the truck. it would be nice if it was only bolted to the bottom where i could remove it through the doors but if i cant it isnt a big deal because i dont plan on taking the wall in and out, when I take it out itll be either permanent or because im completely changing systems.

I think i will go with 4 hdc415s on 2 soundqubed3500 at .25ohm ea for burping and 1ohm for daily

id like to have triple 1/0 inputs for the amps for when running to .25 so they dont hate me too bad lol that would be 6 power and 6 grounds per amp.

how many cap banks would i need for this as well?

yeah i came across andrew and messaged him, i may be having him build my wall if hes ok with it since i do alot of work about 30-45mins from where he lives. and the lowest note i really play is like 28hz so my lows are like 28-34s haha.

and ive noticed they like large boxes and i dont mind building the wall in the truck. it would be nice if it was only bolted to the bottom where i could remove it through the doors but if i cant it isnt a big deal because i dont plan on taking the wall in and out, when I take it out itll be either permanent or because im completely changing systems.

I think i will go with 4 hdc415s on 2 soundqubed3500 at .25ohm ea for burping and 1ohm for daily

id like to have triple 1/0 inputs for the amps for when running to .25 so they dont hate me too bad lol that would be 6 power and 6 grounds per amp.

No experience with caps, but a L@zy Hoe rebuild by Andrew does sound intriguing. May have to talk to him a couple months before Heatwave this year

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

The Build Log

No experience with caps, but a L@zy Hoe rebuild by Andrew does sound intriguing. May have to talk to him a couple months before Heatwave this year

haha i read both the 90 page original build log of his and his most recent and his work is stellar and from how he talks he really knows his shit. not to mention id spend 3 grand in just the tools i need to do everything i want to do so i figured why not see if he will do it plus ill know its right :D

so does anyone know much info on caps? ive never ran them either but a couple buddies local to me run like 2-4 banks but they arent that knowledgable either they just "know it works" for what they need haha. i just watched a buddy switch from 3 xs3100 to 4 banks, spent 100$ more than the batteries cost but all 4 banks weigh like 25% of the weight of 1 battery and take up the space of 1 battery. and his voltage used to drop to like 13.3 and it never drops below 14 and soon as the music cuts off it recharges in 45-60 secs on a stock 120a alt

Archived