Distortion Detector VS O-scope REASON #11 to use the DD-1

why does the meter only read down to 1% thd??...ppl have said that 1% is actually high and that it should be down to .1% to be fully useful...what do you say to argue that??...and this is an actual question, not tryin to be a dick

Because 1% of THD over the source+amp is quite decent.

Most people will have (waay) more THD then that. 0.1 THD would be nice but most amps + HU's aren't capable of it..

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

led VU Meters........... go on..................

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

It would be real cool if someone (tony) could comeup with a all in one very accurate tool that we can measure output in wattage. No calculating just hookup and it says 100wrms per that specific channel as such. Steve its cool you can take the credit for this... :popcorn:

2010 Silverado

18" DC XL 18

DC 2k

XS Power Batts

It would be real cool if someone (tony) could comeup with a all in one very accurate tool that we can measure output in wattage. No calculating just hookup and it says 100wrms per that specific channel as such. Steve its cool you can take the credit for this... :popcorn:

Measuring wattage requires the use of a DMM and a Clamp meter, to measure voltage and current, at the same time. Those two numbers you multiple together to get your wattage.

Technically, I'm sure a unit could be made that did both, and then took both numbers and multiplied them for you...but realistically, I'm not sure how feasible that would be.

Not sure how good my explanation is, but here's an excerpt from my tuning tutorial that I've been working on:

People will tell you different things when it comes to what tone to use to set your gains. Some will say to use a 0dB tone, some will say to use a -3dB tone, and some say a -5db tone, some may even say a -10dB tone.

Now you may wonder, why would I want to tune my amp with a wave that is smaller? The answer is simple: Music is dynamic. It is not made up of 0dB tones, but by many rather smaller frequencies and notes layered together, waves on top of waves.

In an audio file the highest point that a wave can be without clipping off (it's maximum clean size) is referred to as 0dB, and anything less than that is referred to as -x.xdB (however many dB under a full wave.)

Now in music you have frequencies your tweeters pick up on top of frequencies your midrages/midbasses pick up on top of frequencies your subwoofers pick up. When you start using your amps filter (in this case your bass amp's low pass filter) you are removing the frequencies you don't want that driver to reproduce, and are left with the frequencies you do want. When you start removing the notes that are layered on top of the bass notes, the notes shrink back down to their natural sizes.

Let's use the song 'Man I' by Gorilla Zoe for reference. Even though the song fills up the audacity display window from peak to peak at points, when you use the low pass filter on it set to 80Hz@12dB/octave you are actually receiving about -13dB of music (bass) instead of 0dB. This means that there is room to increase the output of the bass safely. Almost every song is like this, and that is why it is safe to use a negative amplitude tone to tune your amp.

How do I know what tone I should use though? It's simple, if you like listening to bass boosted music, such as Decaf's music, use no more than a -5dB tone, if you just listen to regular non-boosted music you may be safe up to a -10dB tone. Choose the tones based on the type of music you listen to.

Use whatever tone you feel safe with.

Need Test Tones/Sine Waves? Click Here!

My Saab 9000 build
1993 Saab 9000 Aero 5spd
Pioneer - Zapco - Hifonics - Sundown Audio - O2 Audio - RE Audio

Just Say No To Rear Speakers
Just Say No To CCA Wire
Real Men Drive Stick

Hit me up on Facebook, if you want