Nine8SST Posted June 23, 2011 Report Posted June 23, 2011 I used to swear by Manual's until I got into 4 Wheeling and then it just became a pain in the ass. Nowadays I really do prefer an automatic, maybe I'm just getting lazier the older I get I dont know. They both have thier advantages and disadvantages, I think it just boils down to personal preferance. 1998 SS/T Ram Build Log - Kenwood KVT-514 and KNA-G510 Navigation - 2 DC Level 3 12" - Components??? - Sundown ??? - Sundown??? - Knu Konceptz - Second Skin Dampy Pro - XS D6500
TLEJ Posted June 23, 2011 Report Posted June 23, 2011 Well I just drove my first stick shift today, and well, it's a little harder than I though, but I got it down.. I started off doing a "kangaroo hop" as my friend called it? it was bouncing for a few seconds.. I felt really bad.. haha.. Auto for city, .. stick anywhere else
BeatBox Posted June 23, 2011 Report Posted June 23, 2011 u def get use to it, before id listen to the engine and check out the gauges to shift, now i just do it with out thinking. if u get use to shifting by sound of the engine, ur screwed after u add bass lol
ALPINE408 Posted June 23, 2011 Report Posted June 23, 2011 heavy traffic and steap hills in san francisco auto for you all saying stick you never drove these roads again for where you live auto is the only way to go Have you ever had your woofers blown?
baller95 Posted June 23, 2011 Report Posted June 23, 2011 MANUAL ALL THE WAY MAN!! You know if everyone in the world drove a manual the accident rates would drop like a motherfucker !! Think about it, no talking on the phone while driving, texting, putting make-up (for girls .. i hope), eating, etc.
TMorris09 Posted June 23, 2011 Report Posted June 23, 2011 manual transmissions are alot of fun and u will always have fun with them, but for long trips, excessive town driving, and people who are just now starting to drive, automatic is the way to go..BTW ive had 3 bmw 540s and the auto 5 speed i had was faster than the 6 speed, so depending on what car ur talkin about makes a difference too. Also my elcamino is a auto and i love it cause it sure is alot easier to drag race and to stage up compared to my standard cars i had in the past. As stated before its all a matter of preference, standard sports cars for me, auto daily drivers! NOBODY'S A VIRGIN CAUSE LIFE SCREWS EVERYONE!
slow240sx Posted June 23, 2011 Report Posted June 23, 2011 at the trans shop i work at weve been getting a lot of honda accords and a few civics with toasted auto transmissions. 97 and older, we hardly ever saw them. The newer ones are not as good. I would go with the stick. We rarely see any kind of major problem with them except for abuse. I think aroun 06,07 they got the trans a little better i hear. It will prolly make u a better driver learning driving with a manual. 99 GMC Suburban 2 Death Penalty 21" 2 Crescendo BC2000 Boston GT-42 Amp 6 Selenium 6w4p 4 Crescendo tweets Hi output cs144 alt Audiocontrol Epic-160 Pioneer DVD head unit
tonedeaf Posted June 24, 2011 Report Posted June 24, 2011 Stick; You don't drive an automatic, you only point them. My car just hit 210,000km on the stock clutch, with ULTRA sticky tires and lots of auto-x under it s belt, and its showing no signs of wear. If you don't ride the clutch or try to impress high school girls (who don't care anyway) with big brake stands, you should have no issues with a Honda clutch. Plus, they get better mileage, don't sap any engine power like an auto, and can make it easier to get ot of mud/snow if that's an issue for you where you live. My strongly opinionated $.02 newer automatics are awesome on gas. This. Modern autos will get better fuel efficiency than what you are able to achieve with a stick. That said, if I buy my next vehicle, I'm buying a stick. Preferably one with a diesel attached to it. Agree with what they said, plus....In a few cases Auto's have faster acceleration than manual, this is why many top fuel dragsters use auto transmissions, not only does the auto tranny have a faster reaction time, it also lets more of your senses be directed to the road, rather than having to concentrate on shifting. The auto tranny has a faster reaction time because these are $20k+ transmissions were talking about. 90% of street cars that have any power or a turbo will burn through an auto tranny because they are not made for that and cant shift near as fast. Manuals don't have that problem. It's like when you go for diesel trucks, look at spending a FUCKTON on a tranny, especially auto, that can keep up. I'm talking about souped up trucks, chips, new turbo, injectors, etc.
RyanJ Posted June 24, 2011 Author Report Posted June 24, 2011 Correction: I say I live in San Francisco over here because where I live, most people don't know where it is unless there from the bay area. I stay in San mateo, theres a few hills but I have friends who have stick go up it with ease. I should be fine with a stick. That's what I'll probably end up doing. How do you even drive a stick? Do you change gears when your RPM reaches 4k? MOB-MOBILE: 2005 Honda Accord 5-Speed System: (1) Sundown Audio SA-15 (1) MB Quart ONX1.1500D (1) Kenwood KDC-248U Speakers: -Rear Dash: (2) Clarion SRQ6932R 6x9's SOLD New MOB-MOBILE: 2011 G37S Sedan System:TBD Instagram (18+) : DabsWitaBudget415
bobobass Posted June 24, 2011 Report Posted June 24, 2011 Correction: I say I live in San Francisco over here because where I live, most people don't know where it is unless there from the bay area. I stay in San mateo, theres a few hills but I have friends who have stick go up it with ease. I should be fine with a stick. That's what I'll probably end up doing. How do you even drive a stick? Do you change gears when your RPM reaches 4k? You change gears when you want. 4000 rpm seems a little high. Personaly I usualy shift at around 2000 on flats and maybe around 3000 on a hill. It also realy depends on the car. Lower power cars tend to need to be reved higher though. I'd just let your car do the talking. You will know when you should shift after the first drive. And keep in mind lower rpm usualy means less gas 2000 Subaru outback 2.5l Head Unit: Pioneer deh 4300ub front stage: tbd subwoofer: Stock Fi Q 18" amp: Audio que 1200d
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.