Computer People........help Me

myth.... it depends on the quality of the card, not the brand... $500 anything>$5 anything..... with wireless, you typically get what you pay for.

(my wireless N router gets me 6 blocks away from my house on a $45 D-Link USB adapter for my laptop where as the $17 linksys only picks up 2 blocks.

another thing to note, a USB adapter is more flexible. sya you get a laptop that doesn't have a wireless card built in, you you want to hook a friend's PC up at you house, a PCI card has no benefits over USB...

Higher priced is not always better for one. example you can go to the store and buy a rockford fosgate 4000bd for $1800, or you can order it from online for $1100, is the $1800 amp better? No its not.

For two, Why buy a usb card when its not needed? If you go with a good brand name you will get a good product 9 times out of 10, and you wont have to move your usb wireless card around, not to mention its taking up use of a usb port, and the extra clutter on the desk. And if you do or are using a laptop, Id suggust a card like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833150006 and if you wanted to save yourself some money you could get the same type of card but from a cheaper company that is called linkskey (now if that company is not trying to steal the linksys name....) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833117204 And I will bet my caddy that that cheap linkskey card will get crap as signal strength...

D-link is also another repitabul company along with linksys and net gear. So it should work fine, since they all run the same signals.

But I will say that I have bought a wireless card for my old laptop too, and I forget the brand name but I think it was blitz or belkin (something with a B), but it was 25 bucks at walmart it was some off brand that was on clearence and I had 1 bar signal strength with the laptop being next to the router.

All im saying is dont buy cheap crap when you can get something better quality for just a few bucks more... It like buying some cheap power acoustik amp that puts out 2000wrms or you can go and buy a hifonics amp that actully puts out its rated 2000wrms for only a 100 bucks more.

ive used both the pci and usb adapters. 1 thing about the pci adapters....if your computer is in a cabinet, under a desk, next to like 4 walls....dont expect to get any signal strength...no matter what brand. 802.11g is 802.11g no matter what brand. same with b and a. b and g both run @ 2.4ghz and a runs at 5. the usb adapters are a little better for longer range because you can place them on top of your desk or on top of the case, bookshelf, etc.

if you really wanted some good speed just run a cat-5e cable from your computer to her router and save yourself 50 bucks lol.

Edited by kevinb721

12" fi q

rf t10001

naw mean

You bought one of those adapters and it won't pick up..Move it as close to that far wall as possible...Hell if you have a window, put it up in there..I know you should be able to get a signal cause..I BORROWED internet from a dude that was right next door to our Fire station for freakin 2 yrs, before one of our A hole training officers went over and ratted us out..And it was farther than the distance between your house and hers..Plus it was transmiting through bricks...But if you paw in law has the connection and has a Wep on it..your screwed...But he has to be hip to that and I bet he's not...Just move your device as close to there house as possible..Check your wireless connections and refresh untill you can get something.. Also I have a device and the software and I would have sold it to you on the cheap... Also if you can't get it from where ever you set it up..Try and set the computer up in the garage and see if you can get a signal. I didn't realize you had a garage in between your main living area...

Edited by zaxfire69

OK, everybody hold up recoomending all these boosters and crap.

Tim, you are well within range being only next door. You need a wireless PCI adapter(pictured below) to put in your tower. That is the best thing to use. No offenese, but only people that dont know jack crap about computers use those usb adapter things. That's where we come in. I will take a video of myself installing one into a tower if you dont know how, so we can help you out bro. Also, anything going through usb is slooooow as ass from a $2 hooker. no one wants that. As far as brand, i prefer linksys, and reccomend them b/c i have used them for years for dependable internet browsing.

Shoot me a PM bro, ask roscoe, i'll hook you up...

wireless PCI adapter

tew-423pi_c1_d1_1.jpg

dont run a friggin cord between the houses. that is so white trash. bibbys idea should work fine.

DD M4

Rockford Fosgate P500-4

SoundQubed HDC415 w carbon fiber cap

2 Rockford Fosagate T1675-S

XS Power D3400 Under Hood

XS Power D5100 in rear

Michael Singer 200A Alt

Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/153901-2012-veloster-update-842013-wall-build-4-15s/