Sonic Electronix

Why do audio companies like to advertise "X" wattage on their amps, when there's no way in hell it would ever produce that much wattage? Prime example: My RF amp say's 1800w on the front of it. Yeah I'm gonna throw the bullshit flag on that one. It does 600w (underrated, more like 750w) x 1 @ 4 ohms bridged. Or 300 (more like 375) x 2 @ 2 ohms. Neither of which are close to 1800w.

Some people have said they can run theirs in lower ohm loads, some say they fry. Just a gamble on that.

2004 Ford Mustang GTPioneer DEH-P7200HD head unitMach 460 Factory System

Cadence FXA1600.2

Cadence S2W10

Cadence 4 AWG wiring

Ported box, 2 cubes, 32 hertz

Companies advertise like that because dumbasses who don't know what they're doing buy the amp thinking it's the hottest shit since sliced bread, and that it'll go perfect with their "3000 watt competition subs".

I've always figured it was just a marketing strategy.

EDIT: TO be a bit clearer, they do it to trick people who don't know about RMS ratings into thinking the amp is a powerhouse.

Edited by Cardboardcat15

My Channel on YouTube. Check it out for cinematic-style Car Audio videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcSMhtT-rpopJbdybubDgnQ

New 2014 Scion TC 4th Wall Build

https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/217173-2014-tc-4th-order-build-3-fi-sp4-15s/

i dont really get what youre saying. the 1800 on your rockford amp probably means 1800w peak. my friend has an mtx amp that 600 rms 1800 peak. go off the rms rating when choosing an amp and if its not cea compliant then its probably overrated

1999 Audi A4 1.8T:::

4 - DC Level 3 10's in a 4th order

Rockford P6002 on Subs for now (3-3.5k coming eventually)

MB Quart ONX4.60 for Mids and Highs

Boston S50 Components in Front

Boston S65 Coaxials in Rear

40 Sq Ft of Second Skin Damplifier

Build Thread

UBL

1948 Plymouth

money, money, money, do i need to say more?

everything revolves around money. People who are too ignorant to know the difference between rms and max/peak wattage will fall for ridiculous claims. like mentioned above:

"Johnny, I just got a 4000 watt amp to put on my Kicker competition subs!"

The amp most likely does around 500rms @ 2Ωs but to people who dont know any better they got a sweet deal on that amp. Have you noticed none of the mainstream brands like DC, Sundown, Audioque, etc. rate off of peak? Everything is AQ2200 (2200rms) or SAZ2000 (2000rms). All the shit in stores needs to grab peoples attention and that huge watt rating and super low price is what gets those companies business.

Or at least thats what i think.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

they put that rating on there as a sales tactic and the amp will produce that power on a non reactive ohm resistor and and like 15 volts even if it does it for 1 second with a clipped ass square wave the amp did do that power and they can then advertise it

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

money, money, money, do i need to say more?

everything revolves around money. People who are too ignorant to know the difference between rms and max/peak wattage will fall for ridiculous claims. like mentioned above:

"Johnny, I just got a 4000 watt amp to put on my Kicker competition subs!"

The amp most likely does around 500rms @ 2Ωs but to people who dont know any better they got a sweet deal on that amp. Have you noticed none of the mainstream brands like DC, Sundown, Audioque, etc. rate off of peak? Everything is AQ2200 (2200rms) or SAZ2000 (2000rms). All the shit in stores needs to grab peoples attention and that huge watt rating and super low price is what gets those companies business.

Or at least thats what i think.

Rockfords power line and Jl slash line rate rms like the companies you listed not all mainstream stuff is rated by max.

Rockfords power line and Jl slash line rate rms like the companies you listed not all mainstream stuff is rated by max.

Okay, this isn't an arugument topic where people fuss about which lines list RMS and Peak...we don't care which companies do and don't. The OP just wanted to know why the companies that do advertise Peak actually do so.

mivtCK.png

All about the variables when they say them numbers...

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

it kinda disgusts me to to see things like that because i would like to see the truth and not some bs like that it relay makes car audio reputation go down because of it there should be standers and if your amp only does x amount of watts the it should only say it does that on the front instead of so outrageous number and shouldn't be at an outrageous price either :No:

My Build:Blazer Got Bass

HRbsD.png