NEW PRODUCT SNEAK PEAK! SMD AD-1 Amp Dyno - UPDATE 3/27/13 Spy Pics Page 11, 13, 14

Ill pay 1001 dollars :D Im still very interested in this piece of equipment. Ive only have my smd dd1 and cc1. This would just complete my collection maybe the dd-1 hv and the im sg-1. All this tech interests me and Im willing to kick out the dollars. Im just waiting for all this to come out. And I am an average guy with an average system.

Edited by bassaholicsfl

2001 Dodge Ram Quad Cab.

• 3 weeks later...

Why the hell do you want a dash mounted screen for a device thats not intended to stay in your car? and thats also funny that you want a display to show you real time power, voltage, current, and impedence, and want someone to Design and build it for 100 bucks..

this thing isnt even intended to be used to measure reactive loads, its has a bank of dummy loads.

i said i will give someone 100 bucks to find me someone to design it. dont worry i dont need to find a designer anymore. look up up at the video in my previous post. now you are the dummy load

What are you a 12 year old? and i doubt addictive audio only invested 100 bucks designing that, also that little display still wont do what the AD-1 is doing. besides I have plenty of other things to do when i drive my car that gaze at how much power Im gettin out of my amp.

Don't believe the AD=1 will ever be anything other than an industrial use machine unless all components get shrunk down enough to make it a more portable unit.

Thank You. you are the first person that sort of agreed with me

I actually agree also that it would be nice to have a dash mount product to monitor your system in real time. But I'm a geek and I do not represent the majority of bass heads on this topic. Regardless, this isn't the approrpiate thread. What you are talking about is a completely different product. Start a new thread somewhere and bring the soapbox with you...you may be onto "something" though there probably isn't a large market for the item.

CURRENT SYSTEM:

• Alternator:
    1. Stock alt on mids/highs
    2. Isolated DC Power 270 SP - Charging @ 16.8v
  • Batteries: (2) XS D1400s
  • Power Cable: Double Runs of 1/0 KNU Kolossus Fleks
  • Headunit: 80-PRS
  • Sub Amp: DC 5.0k
  • Subwoofers: 2 RE MT 15s /PSI dual .7ohm recones
  • Subwoofer Enclosure: 9.1cubes @ 32hz - brutal.
  • Mids & Highs Amp: CT125.4
  • Active Components:
    • Mids RE XXX 6.5c
    • Highs - 3 RE XXX tweeters per side(A pillar)
  • Noise Control: Damplifier Pro all over the cab.

Build Log

If you do business with me please leave feedback here: FEEDBACK THREAD

Highest Legal Score: 151.0 db
Highest Musical 30 Second Average: 151.6 db

if youre so smart like you seem to think design it. obviously no one thinks that idea is marketable so put your money where your arrogance is and get to work. i would not want a bunch of dancing numbers on an ugly screen stuck to my dash.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Interesting piece. Here's the major problem I see, the misapplication of Ohms law. Volts X Amps = Watts ONLY works for DC circuits, or where the load is purely resistive (a non inductive resistor). This is not an opinion, this is fact. An amplifier's output is not DC, so clamping, or doing what this piece does (measuring the voltage and current to the speaker and multiplying) is incorrect and inaccurate and only applies to DC circuits or AC circuits with purely resistive loads. A simplified formula for trying to measure power in an AC circuit would be Volts X Amps X Power Factor (phase angle) = Watts. If you don't know the phase angle, your measurement is pretty meaningless. The Amp Dyno uses precision non inductive resistors to do it's calculations so the power factor is always 1.00, and thus can be eliminated from the equation.

Second problem: What about clipping? How do you know what is actual usable power and what is just clipping? WIthout using an oscilloscope or the DD-1 during this test, it is again meaningless.

Besides these things it's a neat idea. Please though guys, let's quit making up bogus audio terms. "Ohmage", and "Wdc"? There is no such thing as Watts DC, or Watts AC, or Watts RMS, or Watts Peak.... fml. Its just Watts. I'm not even going to get into "ohmage"

Here is a related discussion from a while back. http://www.stevemead...er-by-clamping/

Apparently, we are not the only industry with this problem. Check our the White Paper from APC, the backup power people

http://www.xand.com/...TNQYF_R0_EN.pdf

We will make a video to demo the situation

taken from the "referenced" post about the in-dash amp dyno. ^^^^

also, keep in mind, this is in a big, bulky, BASIC box right now because it is still a prototype. You should see what the SMD DD-1 looked like when it was born. It might STILL be a large piece of equipment when its finalized, but it wont be the boring, basic, project-box looking thing it is now. Its still being developed so give us some time, please.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

Take all the time you need guys......

Ultimate faith a vid, (done corretly) will be up at some point and time,....

and once again,... youll change the game.... (so to speak)

You guys (and you know who you are) are really uppin, and changing the game,.......

I for one, am just stoked to be able to be on the ride,...... even if im stuck in the trunk,......

carry on

• 1 month later...

The amp dyno lives! :morepower1:

531100_10151169429240674_2127013710_n.jpg

Look at these two lookin all classy and trying to pretend like their job isn't all fun and games :P

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

Source: Parrot Asteroid Smart

Processor: Digital Designs X1

Amps: Soundstream Ref 4.920 + Soundstream Ref 4.400 + Soundstream DTR 3400

Front stage: Hertz 165xl + HL 70 + HT28

Rear fill: Hertz 165xl

Subs: 2 SA-12's

3-way active ftw

• 3 weeks later...

The AD-1 was designed to NOT NEED a bench or any lab equipment. It contains everything you need already. Put it on a cart, wheel it over to the vehicle that needs to be dyno'd, connect it to the amp. Done. Real in car dynos is what it is about. This provides the dealers a route to sell upgraded alternators, batteries, and wiring....as well as real amplifiers.

Edited by TonyD'Amore
  • Like (+1 Rep) 1