DC Sound Lab

175.4 Thermal Protect Troubleshooting

highly doubt its a ground, ohm, or whatever issue, this dude knows what he is doing.... has to be in something being defective.., please report back what you find.....cheers and good luck....

I THINK I know what i'm doing lol. I hope its a single speaker and not the amp. If anyone can think of anything else to check, please post it.

I am not 100% sure its not the amp but I highly doubt it.. It will take you a bit unhooking all the speakers one at a time but im gonna have to say that's where the problem is....

Hi SMD Members If anybody has computer problems and is an SMD member with at least 150 posts I will fix your problems for free by phone support or I can also fix your computer over the internet.... I have references such as All State insurance, Nationwide Insurance and much more... just p.m me for help.. I am not the greatest with when it comes to audio systems so I figured I could contribute to the forum this way.... Thanks David

Measure each speakers resistance separate from the crossover, Just unhook them at the crossover one at a time and it won't take that long

1969 Chevy Chevelle

20/22" staggered Bonspeed Huntingtons wrapped in Nitto INVO's

Mechman 250amp cs144 alt w/AVBM

Kinetik 1800 main battery/Kinetik 2400 in the trunk

Pioneer AVH-3200dvd Headunit

(2) sets of Hybrid Audio Technologies Imagine components up front

(2) DD 3512's d4 coils

Sundown sax100.4 component amp

Sundown saz-3000d subwoofer amp

5ft^3 box tuned to 34hz

MY BUILD

disconnecting one channel at a time will tell you where the issue may lie. certainly try that.

another culprit could be a defective rca.

yet another could be a pinched rca, or even remote wire. I've seen that happen as well.

best way to rule out the amp is to disconnect all channels except one. let it play if no problems, hook up the next channel... and repeat. if you get to say the third set and it cuts off... disconnect that channel and hook up the next. if no problems then you need to check everything in that third run (again thats an example) process of elimination.

but again, check rca, etc.

and yet another... make sure the input voltage going into the amp does not exceed the input voltage of what the amp can handle. I had that issue with an amp in the past... the company that made the amp also made the eq I was using. the problem was the eq was a 7volt eq... their amps only took 4volt input. lol

disconnecting one channel at a time will tell you where the issue may lie. certainly try that.

yet another could be a pinched rca, or even remote wire. I've seen that happen as well.

best way to rule out the amp is to disconnect all channels except one. let it play if no problems, hook up the next channel... and repeat. if you get to say the third set and it cuts off... disconnect that channel and hook up the next. if no problems then you need to check everything in that third run (again thats an example) process of elimination.

and yet another... make sure the input voltage going into the amp does not exceed the input voltage of what the amp can handle. I had that issue with an amp in the past... the company that made the amp also made the eq I was using. the problem was the eq was a 7volt eq... their amps only took 4volt input. lol

X2 On this. It sounds like a bad speaker in all honesty. In most cases I have seen personally, that seems to be the problem every time. To bad you live so far from me. Id hook up with ya and help out. GL sir

LOUDEST PHUKN BURB N LA COUNTY!!!!

Team SoCal SPL

Team Sundown

X2 On this. It sounds like a bad speaker in all honesty. In most cases I have seen personally, that seems to be the problem every time. To bad you live so far from me. Id hook up with ya and help out. GL sir

Heading out to check the speakers individually. Already checked the rca's, they're good to go. But i'll give the remote wire a look. Working with a flashlight fml. And thanks Mayhem.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I went and checked the ohm load at the amp with the system OFF, 4.2-4.4 on each channel. I also checked each channel with the system ON(don't know if that's the thing to do) and got some crazy readings. Checked the resistance at each crossover with the system OFF and all readings are good. So unless crossovers can be fucked up somehow and still read proper, its not them.

@98hoe; Rainbow 3-way components. SLC365.25NG

You're gonna get crazy readings while it's playing cause the resistance is constantly changing as the cone is moving. Based on your description of the problem and my experience with this same problem, sounds to me like an ohm load issue, especially if you have two comp sets per channel. I'm assuming each comp set is 4ohms, having two comp sets on each channel means the amp is seeing a 2 ohm load on each channel...or am I misunderstanding how you have them wired up?

Also, depending on your xovers it could be a matter of having them set wrong.....

I'm running PPI 356CS comps and when I first hooked them up to my CDT SQA-4100 amp (xovers have inputs for both the mid and tweeter) I ran it so that each channel is powering a single driver (in theory) but I messed up when I was setting the xover by setting the switch to "parallel" instead of "bi-amp".....this caused my amp to get scorching hot after just 10-15 minutes of play time and it would cut out. I flipped the switch and it's been good ever since.

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

Only thermal issue I've ever had with any setup I've installed was with some Power Acoustik Plasma Sphere amps (shitty!) but they over heated like crazy when I first installed them. Turns out they couldn't handle the 8v preouts from the Eclipse head unit, re scoped everything with head unit volume really low and worked perfect. Pain in the ass to figure out tho.

Tryna find mystery issues sucks!

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

do agree with that.. instead of checking every speaker... narrow it down some.... each side, left, right, and or channel... hell, borrow or put another amplifer (borrowed or whatever) in there and see what happens...?????... man, good luck.. please report findings bro...

one thing that i don't understand is 12 speakers 8 crossovers

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

I have a 175.4 as well. It does get pretty hot on me too. I have had it shut down once, but that was after about 25 minutes on 25/40 volume.

Ira a great amp, but I can't help feeling like "brand name" (hifonics, mbquart, kicker, RF) amps don't have as many issues as the expensive ones (sundown, DC, Audioque)

Pioneer x930 bt

Rockford t2500 bdcp

18" nightshade v1

DC audio 175.4

RF power T162s up front, infinity 3 way 6x9's in the back (removing rear stage and re-doing doors soon)

3x XS power D2700's

Knukonceptz 0awg all around