DC Sound Lab

175.4 Thermal Protect Troubleshooting

I have a 175.4 as well. It does get pretty hot on me too. I have had it shut down once, but that was after about 25 minutes on 25/40 volume.

Ira a great amp, but I can't help feeling like "brand name" (hifonics, mbquart, kicker, RF) amps don't have as many issues as the expensive ones (sundown, DC, Audioque)

??? isn't rockford fosgate an expensive brand for amps

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

one thing that i don't understand is 12 speakers 8 crossovers

I would guess 4 sets of 3 way comps. 4 sets = 8 crossovers and 12 speakers.

right forgot not all crossovers are two channel

:pardon:

Edited by deathcards

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

one thing that i don't understand is 12 speakers 8 crossovers

I would guess 4 sets of 3 way comps. 4 sets = 8 crossovers and 12 speakers.

You got it CJ. Each side of each set has 2 crossovers, 1 for midbass and 1 for mids and tweeters.

SQMonte, Its 2 full sets. Think of it as 1 speaker per channel, even though its three speakers. I've already ruled out the ohm load being the problem.

I just checked each speakers resistance, all good. I also played each speaker by itself to check the freq range, they all play the right freq's, leading me to believe the crossovers are working properly. It has to be that it is getting way too hot in the trunk with it sealed off. The fan is just blowing hot air. Im going to move it inside the car tomorrow and play it turned up and see if there is any difference.

What components inside an amp could cause excessive heat if they are not working right?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

could be a bad amp..i had the same issue on a mb quart discus amp...i said screw it and got the mb quart onyx no issues since i installed it..

That's why they don't deliver.

Yer ass better go sit along the side of the road and wait.

You can't expect them to travel up some dirt road in a hick / back woods town. Thats how horror movies start :D

I explain things very simply and use analogies in terms of Pickles, and grape drink, pool noodles and jackhammers...if you can't put 2 and 2 together there man, There simply is not much more I can do.

My 175.4 is tempermental. Sometimes it gets really hot other times it is barely warm. It doesnt matter if i get in my truck with it being hotter than hell in the cabin or if its been sitting all night and its cold in the cabin it still has weird moments where it gets warm or is cool. Did you try to do like i said before with this issue to take the amp up on a 2x2 to elevate the bottom of the amp to keep it cooler? I have noticed with my amp when it was mounted flush on my old box it was hotter than hell but when i got my new (current) box built i put all my amps up on 2x2 stair risers and they running great. I have never had any amp protect on me and i beat the hell out of mine.

One thing i noticed on my 175.4 is that the amp gets really warm first on the side where the rca's are then it spreads to the outside part of the heatsink where the mosfets are. This side is where the amps internal crossover network is if you take the back cover off your amp. I would say to try like you said with putting it in your cabin and monitor the warmth on it closely if you can. I noticed that with both my dc amps, if i have my truck off and im bumping even though the voltage doesnt fall below 11.7 it still gets pretty warm and the 175.4 is so hot it can make my hand stick to it if i hold it there long enough but with my truck on i get 14.4v of power to the amps and the 5.0k runs cold (no warmth at all on that amp) and the 175 is sometimes a little warm other times its cool. If you notice that it is still heating up in your cabin and it is indeed cool enough in your car too then i would highly recommend you do like ppl have mentioned. Plug in each channel one at a time and then see how it works. Also if you havent already try to check the resistance of your power and ground wires just to be sure it is all good and inspect your power wires for any warmth because i found one of my power wires the other day that was really warm on the fuse holder but it wasnt melting and had no resistance on it.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

No Kickass, I didn't elevate it but I did put a fan back there to blow the hot air around. I checked the power/ground connections but not the fuse connections, i'll do that. Ray suggested a way to test the amp and crossovers that i'll be trying in the morning.

Thank you all for the ideas, helps with the frustration. I'll report back tomorrow after some more testing.

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

I'm not convinced it's due to being in the trunk. Mine is in the trunk too, no fans, it's not even elevated at all...I keep my back seats up so it gets no air flow....I can play my system at full bore for as long as I want and my amp barely gets warm. Same for my sub amp, it stays even cooler than my 4ch even though it's wired to 1 ohm. But either way, I hope you get it figured out cause I know it sucks that you can't play it like you want. Good luck man

Alpine CDA-117...Memphis 16-X03

CDT Audio SQA-4100...SEAS Prestige H1396...Crescendo MP-6

Soundstream Rubicon 1.2500d...Digital Designs 3512f

I say elevate it just for shits and giggles, cant hurt anything. Also i noticed a huge difference in power when i went from active/passive crossover to full active. When i was on active/passive i had to set the volume for the channels at -4db just to get my tweeters to start playing loud whereas now that its a full active crossover network i have the tweeters at -16db. I know the crossover was sucking a ton of power but that much i am shocked. I also had the passive x-over from fosgate set to 0db for attenuation so it wasnt that being setup wrong.

It may be the amp, speakers, heat, who knows until you try messing around with it. If you were anywhere around me id swap amps with you for a day or two just to see if yours protects on me at all or if mine protects on you because that can prove if the amp is the problem or if its your speaker/crossovers.

Oh another thing i thought to check.. Look at where your speaker wires go from the inside of the cabin to the door. Are they pinched, chaffed, cut away a little, or rubbing? It could be a small possibility you have one speaker wire that has a slit taken out of the jacket causing it to short out on your cars ground.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress