DC Sound Lab

coil rub on both lvl 5's

You do have the possibility that the former could have gotten bent just a little and could be rubbing the pole, or if the coil is starting to come unwound due to high heat from extreme clipping, that could cause the rubbing sound.

The bad rubbing is coming from the used sub, the one in the vid, but its really noticeable when pushed down lightly.

The newer sub only makes rubbing noise when pushed down a fraction off dead center.

Should I recone the used one, the red dustcap one, and leave the newer one alone?

Team Clearly Louder (MECA)Team DC Audio

++* SELLING the CACTUS SOUNDS K12 for $1550 shipped *++

HMU!!!

3 flips. nollie flips. big flips. hardflips. - steez

Youtube Channel My Build Log

95 Bonneville SSE

- WALLED/4th Order - ~30 cubes -

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

Why would you recone if the coils ohm out... can you hear the rub when your playing it? Put them both in the enclosure and rail on them like there suppose to be... my concern now would be the noise that dustcap is goin to make and the sd amp... a friend of mine had the sd 8k on lvl5s and blew them numerous times and finally the amp let go also... sd is really dirty on music

TEAM DC AUDIO

VEHICLE:98 chevy tahoe 2wd 3-4 drop

HEADUNIT:alpine 9886

PREAMP:arcaudio

FRONT STAGE:4-6 1/2s selinium,DD component set and 4-selinium tweeters in each door

KICKPANELS:jl audio 5 1/4

REAR DOORS: dd components 6 1/2s

HIGHS AMPS:zapco 750.2 on front doors,zapco an another 750.2 on kicks and rear doors

SUBS:4-ascendant audio 18s with 5 spiders in a custom box built by KINGSUV

SUB AMP: 2-dc7.5s

ALTERNATORS: 3-mechmans 1- 425comp, 1-smd spec350, 1-270 with adj voltage harness on custom dc bracket

WIRE:10-runs 0g front to back

BATTERIES:6-d1400s

TL results:157.1 at 38hz and 156.8 at headrest score @37hz. STATE AND NATIONAL RECORD IN MECA S5.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Are you able to hear it over you music content?

Providing you can't hear it over your music you'll be fine till it lets loose, either play it as it is or spend money on recones you may or may not need at this point and time.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

if your pushing off center then your pushing it off balance and its going to rub...quit pushing on your subs...problem solved

NoFearX18 said:

Nick will bang just about anything.....LMAO....pun intended

On 4/13/2010 at 9:51 AM, meade916 said:

i was like DAMN, Chode is hardcore! he makes james look like a friendly person LOL!

trainman0978 said:

I dont know who is worse with the buttholes Chode or Big P...

thdsig2_zps7dd050e2.jpg

TDHsig1_zps90d6048b.jpg

Team Deadly Hertz / Team DC Audio / Team XS Power

2010 DC AUDIO MEMBER OF THE YEAR!!!

DuckretaryFEAR THE DUCK Durangho Chodes Blowthrough Build Youtube vids Muh Wife

Need DC Audio? Hit me up for pricing!!!

Why would you recone if the coils ohm out... can you hear the rub when your playing it? Put them both in the enclosure and rail on them like there suppose to be... my concern now would be the noise that dustcap is goin to make and the sd amp... a friend of mine had the sd 8k on lvl5s and blew them numerous times and finally the amp let go also... sd is really dirty on music

finally someone else says it other them me!!!!

i had an AQ3500.1 and it was louder.. and sounded 10X better then a SD8k the SD8k had my subs HOT in less then a minute with no clipping.. the SD amps are great for SPL tho!

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

Ok, after talking to Rusty a while back on the phone for about 30minutes, I was told this, when a flatwound coil gets too hot (i dont know if you have been beating on yours) there can be gases released which have no where to escape because of the coil shape (round wire doesnt have this issue). It will cause the former to bubble out and make almost a ridge where the gas can escape. This happened to me and caused my level 5 to have coil rub.

my .02

edit: amp it and play some tones free air with the bottom of the mag elevated (pole vent unobstructed) and see if there is a scratching noise.

Edited by ChevyBoy95

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

Thanks everyone for all the input,

Would the coil rub, only when pushed down lightly...I mean just barely, on the used sub affect anything.

HMU!!!

95 Bonneville SSE

*thanks LoganBerry, CortezDVT, Cj18, SuperCharged DC, Ryan-RAM Designs,LoudNLow931*

when i reconed my xxx with the level 6, i gotrub, enough that at half ohm on the 9k at 18v wrecked 1 coil, when push on it you hear it scrape so so bad, i reversed mounted it to look at and play with 1 coil, flipped back, works with no rub now and can push with no noise, but coil still gone.

dunno how explain what happen but maybe try it lol

AUSTRALIA do i need say more?

HU: some crap pionee

AMP: dc 9k @ 18v

SUB: 4 elevation audio sqx 12"

Battery: 2 neuton power 8200d

burp setup for fun 152's

soon to come: rebuilt soundstream xxx (2 18" OR 3 15" wall) Bunch speakers, more batts and new HU

Dang, did the amp go into protect when you blew a coil?

I just get alittle rub at the top of the cone.

But goes away when pressed down just alittle more

HMU!!!

95 Bonneville SSE