Second Skin Audio

sub

basshead8569

I know. The fail is strong here. Some people just can't be helped :shrug:

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

There is much fail here. A sub is not stable at a given ohm load. The different ohm loads are simply so that consumers can reschedule their desired nominal ohm loads for desired amplifier output based on coil configuration, number of woofers, and amplifier channels.

I'm going to assume the subs blew because you guys were in fact clipping. You can not say you weren't, because they sounded good. Your amplifier is a max rated amp and I'm assuming coil configuration was not taken into consideration, wired incorrectly, and gain adjusted too high to compensate.

Also, subs on lower power hitting harder can depend on many different things. Actual output of amplifier, enclosure, vehicle, tuning, and so forth.

OP read this until you understand it.

There is much fail here. A sub is not stable at a given ohm load. The different ohm loads are simply so that consumers can reschedule their desired nominal ohm loads for desired amplifier output based on coil configuration, number of woofers, and amplifier channels.

I'm going to assume the subs blew because you guys were in fact clipping. You can not say you weren't, because they sounded good. Your amplifier is a max rated amp and I'm assuming coil configuration was not taken into consideration, wired incorrectly, and gain adjusted too high to compensate.

Also, subs on lower power hitting harder can depend on many different things. Actual output of amplifier, enclosure, vehicle, tuning, and so forth.

The same amp is being used now in the saturn as they was set up with in my car. Just the subs are not wired at 2 ohms. And the amp was tuned right. And we was not clipping. Could not be wired incorrectly or my kickers would blow. My kickers was wired the same way as the rockford fosgates. I looked at how I did my kickers to wire the rockfords. and coil config was takin into consideration. The shop used the smd tuner tool and all that. The gain was barely on. The amp was barely half way on. Same set-up as how my kicker dcvr 12"s pretty much. Just 1 amp and not 2 like now. And after a few people messaging me. It is a problem with people running 2 ohms to those subs. But, at 4 ohms they run fine.

Now my crew Im in have soundstream and dc and kickers and skars. Lower rated power then my kickers but hit harder. And my crew is all 2000 to 2003 ford focus.. So beside the hatch backs. We all have the same trunk space. Right now I have the kicker box that comes with the dcvr 12"s and I added the same size port to the opposite side. A little bit higher score... I asked a question and not one answer. Hoping to get some tips on box build and comments on the subs... Hoping for more help on here....

the word your looking for is WERE...and what do you mean you added a port?

you need to understand what TeamHT is telling you.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

The same amp is being used now in the saturn as they was set up with in my car. Just the subs are not wired at 2 ohms. And the amp was tuned right. And we was not clipping. Could not be wired incorrectly or my kickers would blow. My kickers was wired the same way as the rockford fosgates. I looked at how I did my kickers to wire the rockfords. and coil config was takin into consideration. The shop used the smd tuner tool and all that. The gain was barely on. The amp was barely half way on. Same set-up as how my kicker dcvr 12"s pretty much. Just 1 amp and not 2 like now. And after a few people messaging me. It is a problem with people running 2 ohms to those subs. But, at 4 ohms they run fine.

Now my crew Im in have soundstream and dc and kickers and skars. Lower rated power then my kickers but hit harder. And my crew is all 2000 to 2003 ford focus.. So beside the hatch backs. We all have the same trunk space. Right now I have the kicker box that comes with the dcvr 12"s and I added the same size port to the opposite side. A little bit higher score... I asked a question and not one answer. Hoping to get some tips on box build and comments on the subs... Hoping for more help on here....

the word your looking for is WERE...and what do you mean you added a port?

you need to understand what TeamHT is telling you.

That was the first thing that was checked after rockford sent us the new subs was for clipping. None to be found. So idk how it could be clipping. But anyways Im not here to argue. Trying to get help and every time it is people that just want to do the opposite.

And I put another port on the opposite side of the box. I got the kicker box that comes with the dcvr subs. Took the plastic piece off an old kicker box and put it on. Trying to get my first real build done. Looking for help and hard to find it. Tips on different types of boxes and subs and all.

Current system (still building) 2 kicker 12" dcvr in factory kicker ported box, Rockford Fosgate 1200.1 Amp, Kenwood ddx-470 ddin radio, Rockford Fosgate 0 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate punch 6X8 2 way speakers.

New equipment, enclosure, and wiring mean nothing if the basics are completely ignored. Just because a shop does it does not mean it was professional. And just because you use the DD-1 (highly doubt) does not mean you weren't clipping. I think there is A LOT of user error which is leading to these issues, which will not get resolved by simply buying something else.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I know. The fail is strong here. Some people just can't be helped :shrug:

I am not trying to argue here. When rockford replaced the subs. That is what the shop tested for. Clipping. But, not wanting to start crap. If I am wrong and we did something wrong and the test did not find it. Then ok. Just going off of what we did and rockford said. This is my first real build. Not like my last couple just a simple set-up. Want to get more then that. And been trying to get tips and all. Wanting to do it right the first time and not have to take it out and fix something. Told ya are a good person to goto. So can we get pass this clipping thing and talk about the topic?

Current system (still building) 2 kicker 12" dcvr in factory kicker ported box, Rockford Fosgate 1200.1 Amp, Kenwood ddx-470 ddin radio, Rockford Fosgate 0 Gauge wiring, Rockford Fosgate punch 6X8 2 way speakers.

New equipment, enclosure, and wiring mean nothing if the basics are completely ignored. Just because a shop does it does not mean it was professional. And just because you use the DD-1 (highly doubt) does not mean you weren't clipping. I think there is A LOT of user error which is leading to these issues, which will not get resolved by simply buying something else.

With the same amp at 4 ohms and me hooking up. They work fine. But, hey can this be dropped??? I got them as a gift anyways. I am not a rockford fan anyways.

Tell us the current wiring configuration. Tell us the RMS rating of your amp and subs.

Depending on the subs I get it will be different. Right now I have 2 kicker dcvr 12" 800 rms and 2 kenwood performance series 1800 watts amps (900 rms at 2 ohms.) Have the kicker 0 gauge wiring kit, mechman high output 220amp alt. and 1 XS Power D3100 battery that replaced my stock battery. But, Im wanting to upgrade and finding it hard to get suggestions.

The soundstream REFERENCE R1 SERIES are DVC 4 ohm coils wired in parallel give 2 ohm per sub. In the following link you have 6 suggestions for ported and sealed boxes:

http://www.soundstream.com/AudioProducts/Subwoofers/r1-reference.htm

The Kenwood KAC-9105D is <1200W x 1 at 1 ohm impedance.

If you parallel the subs with each having their coils wired in parallel you will get to 1 ohm total impedance.

Since the subwoofers combined power is 1800w and the amplifier is <1200W it would be hard for you to blow them. Set the ISF switch to 25Hz and redo all power terminals specially the ground terminal which must be clean bare metal to bare metal tightly fit.

Unless you have some sort of malfunctioning amplifier it will be completely safe to use.

Archived