55 posts in this topic

http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/167262216706680/

A couple local guys say they can tune there amps my ear 100% distortion free. They think a dd-1 or o scope is a waste of money. I want to know if it is posible for the ear to pick up every bit of distortion. Here is link to the convo. The convo is the comments on the black sub box with 50+ comments.

lol the human ear is not designed to detect every bit of distortion from speakers in a car......the dd-1 and an oscope are.....either you can get the dd-1 and set your gains as accurate as possible or listen to the magical guys on facebook who have o-scopes built into their brains..

ill bet you my last dollar that they are no where near as accurate as either an oscope or a dd-1.

let them talk just dont let them touch your shit. audio companies love consumers like them. it keeps them in business.

No it is not possible for the ear to pick up all distortion considering it isn't always audible to a humans hearing so that comment is asinine.

1 person likes this

i had same thing happen to me but when i got my dd-1 sounded alot better i was distorting at half volume before i tuned it with dd-1

You can get pretty close with under 1500w amps but as you get into more powerful amps there is no way to discern distortion and clipping with the ear.

The regular human ear cannot detect distortion below 3% for bass(maybe 1% if you're an audiophile), and plus there's environmental distortion from the car too like coins shaking, things laying around making nose, seats rattle-ling, all sorts of things, so it makes it harder to tell.

So a DD1 is a good investment to make sure you have no distortion what so ever, and plus it's cheaper than an O scope.

I used to think I could tune by ear, then again I also thought "gain" was a secondary volume knob. I've come a long way since I was 13-14 yrs old, I'm sure those guys will come around eventually....maybe.

Well these idiots are saying its a waste of money and that Steve Meade is a joke because he isn't loud he just plays low and shakes shit. So i don't think they will ever come around and respect Steve and realize they are wrong.

I wouldnt even be apart of that group, once they said they are better than a oscilloscope, time to go...

btw, not alot of people can do 56-58s under the windowline in the cargo area and still seat 5....

power or not, its not something thats super easy to do, so if they want to bash, tell them to put up their TL numbers or STFU

Edited by Team_DC-Derrick

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By audiofanaticz
      Here is a enclosure for a pair of CT Sounds Tropo 8v2 subs I just finished.
      Just need to get it packaged up and on its way to Lufkin Texas it goes!

Had to make a new port, I remembered the wrong and not the number I needed to cut off and the port came up too short. Glad I caught it before gluing it in otherwise the entire box would have to be rebuilt.

Didnt feel like cutting down my new 4by8 sheet of HDPE to make some router templates, so I just used some scrap wood to cut down to get the job done.
      Just a simple brace since the space was tight inside the box, adding a center line of the brace would reduce the opening down from 60sq inches and make it awfully close to the cone area and that is no bueno!

Cut out a second piece to beef it up without reducing the area, and hit it with a small Sweep bit.

Also used a medium sized Sweep bit on the end of the port.

Had to wait for some orders to show up so I could progress on the build, needed to measure the new style SMD terminals for the cutout, and was pretty much out of wire as well.

• By randy0025
      I need some help as I am installing some stuff into my 2012 Mazda 6 i sport.  I have a double din, and 2 amps.  The issue is I had 2 renegade amps installed and only needed to run a true 4awg wire to a block and then to the 2 amps. well those were not cutting it so i went and got a MB quart 800.4 for my door speakers and a Rockford T1500dbCP amp going to a JL audio 13w7 sub.    My big issue is my alternator puts out only 90 amps and i cant find a single place that will sell a HO alternator that is a drop fit into my mazda 6 and I didnt want to have to mod anything to get it to fit.   Can I keep the same stock alternator if I did the Big 3, and got a spare battery for the trunk? I am only asking this because I would figure from what I have read that the Big 3 and battery would be the very very minimum Ill need to push both new amps i have now, specially because i seen people saying they should have a battery for an RF 1500bdCP only and i have that plus the MB Quart 800.4 and a double din HU.     
      I would ask about a cap but from what i have read that wont help much anyways because they that just puts even more of a drain on my alternator when I cant upgrade that anyway(dont really want to unless I have too and have no choice).
      here is what I was thinking about buying to try but figured i would ask first and buy once....   http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_74888_XS-Power-XP750-CK.html          and this         http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_86030_Belva-BBG3KT.html

Thanks for the help in advance, its much appreciated.  

• By BigDWiz
      Let's kick it old school with a 20yr old Kicker "monster" amp, the 500ss. This amp pre-dates the ZR1000 and was available in 1996 for an MSRP of $999 USD. The 500ss is rated to deliver:
      250x2 @ 4 ohms (500x1 @ 8 ohms)
      425x2 @ 2 ohms (850x1 @ 4 ohms)
      Let's take a look at this amp and see how it performs on the SMD/D'Amore Engineering AD-1 Amp Dyno. Thanks to my buddy John for lending me the amp to test.
      See it on YouTube in 1080P HD
      or embedded below:

• By darksoul989
      I am hoping someone can explain bandpass and how the port tuning works.
      I recently had a friend give me a bandpass box with a kicker cvr 12d2 in it...
      the box measures 15"h 20"w 8. 5"d both sealed and ported side having these measurements. 2 tube ports 3.875" What i don't understand is way it sounds for the ports it has???
      According to every port calculator iv used its tuned at 95hz! Am i measuring port frequency wrong or does bandpass create a different port frequency that is measured differently.
      Also can someone explain bandpass and how you tune one.
      I AM ASKING, CAUSE THIS BOX SOUNDS AMAZING DESPITE THIS QUESTIONABLE PORT FREQUENCY!
    • By JeepAndBassXJ
      Decided to start a thread about my quest for dbzzzz in my daily driver. I told myself I would not be doing anything big with this car but I am learning not to trust myself with that kind of promise lol!
      Here is the car's actual build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/205951-sotm-build-2000-honda-civic-ex-140db-daily-build/?p=3124379
      So I had a little setup in the car that only did 140.8db at about 34hz dB Drag style. Grabbed some equipment from my Jeep (currently being rebuilt) and got some subs to play with from Jeff Vue of JVF Customz.
      So here is what I'm working with as of December 2016:
      Car - 2000 Honda Civic Ex 5 Speed w/ sunroof, ac, bla bla bla.
      Electrical - Stock 70a Alternator, $60 G51R stock under hood battery, Big 3 done with SHCA 4 gauge cca, 4 gauge Xs cca to the rear, G34 battery in the rear. So basically shit for electrical but its kool...but I did get some supercaps! BIGGG help with those.
      Subs - 2 JVF Customz 3.3 12's, 3" 8 layer coil D1.4, 10" spider???, fat motor (same as my 18's in the Jeep) on 12 spoke.
      Box - 3.4 cube, subs forward, port forward, 8" aero.
      Power - 1 DC Audio 3.5k
      DAT AZZ!!

3.5k with caps in spare tire location. Caps did not get used until later. Decided this was a bad location for the amp so it's going to move asap.

Makeshift setup. Box hardly fits and I don't like the subs up at the deck lid. This box is named the "bitch box" mostly because its been in about every "loud" street stock car in NorCal since like 2011. I won West Coast championships with it in 2015.
      So now lets get on with testing! I'll just post as I go with it!
  • Who's Online   13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 238 Guests (See full list)