Mechman Alternators

squeeling belt and dimming lights

Watching it doesnt mean crap for belt slipping. Belt slipping you can almost never detect by eye. Belt slipping will not make the belt just freeze movements and then out of nowhere come back, thats not at all how belt slipping works. Belt slipping is when your pulley is spinning at a different speed than the belt itself. Just try what i mentioned and see what happens. Whats it going to do to hurt you anyways? get a cheap spray bottle, fill it with tap water ONLY and spray the flat side of your belt first and then the ribbed side after ONLY IF the squeaking doesnt go away when you spray the flat side first. If spraying either side doesnt correct the squeak then you have a bad pulley bearing, take the belt off and try to rock every pulley side to side and up and down. The pulleys shouldnt rock more than about the thickness of one of the ribs on the belt. If it does replace that pulley or component immediately.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Is the pulley smaller than the original? I had a 250 amp alt and when I'd get up there in RPMs it would do the same thing. It would squeak for about 200-300 rpm before shifting and lights would dim and voltage would drop to 13 this was on a Yukon with smaller pulley tho. I fixed my problem when my alternator went out just a few weeks later

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

Skimmed through both pages and not sure if it was mentioned. On my Explorer, the alt actually had a little bit of play in the mounting holes before it was tightened down. It squeaked at 2k+ rpms and was very annoying. Loosened it up, and pushed back while tightening it straightened it back up and didnt have any more squeaks.

Did you replace the belt when you installed the new unit?

We always recommend a new belt with a high output alternator. They need about 2x the HP to operate over your stock unit and it's all transmitted through the belt.

You will not be able to see the belt slipping, but you will see evidence of slip by the black residue on the front of the alternator.

When the belt slips the alternator can slow below the turn-on speed. This will cause it to not charge, causing your warning lights and dimming issues.

I recommend replacing the belt with new replacement properly sized and tensioned for your alternator.