Second Skin Audio

Sundown SA 12's..General questions

So I have recently purchased two SA 12's dual 2 ohm, and a Hifonics BRZ 2400.1d.

First questions. How long should I break these in for? I plan on running at 2 ohm obviously to give it that extra power these subs crave.

I currently have a Kicker box approximately 4.4 cubes tuned at 42 hrz. Now I know this box is far from a 'good' enclosure for this setup so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a box build or prefabbed box sizes.

I would like to know if I should get a box with a side port or a front port firing to the rear of the vehicle.

Lastly, I have yet to get a second battery for the trunk (going in a cavalier) and would like to know what size battery I should get.

Any ideas, suggestions, opinion, etc. is extremely appreciated!

Thanks guys. I know SMD forums will get me the most accurate and reliable information available online.

2 - Sundown Audio SA-12 D4 (Box tuned to 34 hrz)

1 - RF t1500.1bdcp

1 - RF t400.4

2 - JL Audio C5 5 1/4 in front doors

2 - JL Audio C5 570 in rear deck

2 - JL Audio ZR100 in front pillars

1 - Kenwood ExCelon HU

Run the subs coils in series for a 2 ohm final load and just run the subs, with maximum dims and your car model I could suggest you a box. The one you have is tuned high and seems somewhat large (if you are giving the net volume) and don't know about the port area it has.

Wait wait. The brz2400 is 2400 watts at 1 ohm. You will only get 1700 watts at 2 ohms. If that's what your using you got the wrong sub configuration and you wont get the full potential out of that amp. You need dual 4 ohm woofers to get 1 ohm.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

You could wire to .5 ohm but I'd never recommend that.

98 Isuzu Rodeo
Pioneer Deh-6300ub
SUBS
​*Upcoming* SSA Xcon 18 4th order
AMP
​Banda 3500
Mids/Highs
Pioneer
EQ
Clarion EQS746
ETC.
Two 1/0 run's
KnuKoncepts 1/0 big 3
Shuriken BT-100 under the hood
Shuriken BT-120 in the back

I'd say he's fine on that power as long as the box is efficient (a little on the larger side) and that his electrical is stable. You can make it work.

As for a box, I'm no expert on them but I have seen many people post their designs on here for SA 12's. What I would do if I were you: go look at those other builds. Find what F3 (cubic footage) their boxes are then download Torres' Box Calculator and play with the dimensions that you have available to you to get the same (or close) F3. Then you have to play with port dimensions to get your port area right. - someone else can chime in here because I don't know how much port the SA's like... haha.

If you don't want to do this, there are guys on this forum that will design you a box for a small fee.

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

-Group 65 NorthStar AGM battery

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log
-Blacked out mirror reflectors
-Tinted tails/3rd brake light

If you don't want to do this, there are guys on this forum that will design you a box for a small fee.
Unless they are a registered paying vendor on this forum, no member should be charging for box designs and selling those designs through the forum.

That's like saying only pharmacists sell drugs... lol

2010 F150 FX4
-18" AA Mayhem
-Crescendo BC3500d
-Pioneer GM-D9500F 4-channel
-2 Crescendo FT1

-2 Crescendo Neo Forte 6.5

-Pioneer AVH-P3300BT
-6000K HID Headlights/Fog lights
-All LED interior lighting
-20% tint on front windows, 1% rear windows, 5% windshield strip
-Big3 (XSFlex 0ga)

-DC Power 270XP

-Group 65 NorthStar AGM battery

Coming soon/plans:

-Build log
-Blacked out mirror reflectors
-Tinted tails/3rd brake light

Wait wait. The brz2400 is 2400 watts at 1 ohm. You will only get 1700 watts at 2 ohms. If that's what your using you got the wrong sub configuration and you wont get the full potential out of that amp. You need dual 4 ohm woofers to get 1 ohm.

What you want, the SA is a 600 watt RMS sub. We know that they can take more sometimes alot more but it´s not recommandes. 850 watt RMS per sub is a reserve for boxrise.

In the subwoofer/enclosure section is the boxcalcprogramm Torres, try it. If you can´t work with it there a vew guys who can create a boxdesign for a little $. Boxdesign is a big part of success. Next big point, is the electrical system of your car. First Big 3 http://www.stevemead...big-3-tutorial/ if you havent, do it. Best is you have a look in the electrical section http://www.stevemead...rnators-wiring/ in the pinned topics, all the urgent work´s and things. You need a strong battery, maby 2, here

a nice offer http://www.stevemead...equipment-only/. Messure the place of your batt and

place the biggest baddest AGM batt you can place. If you have the budget defenatly XS Power.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

So I have recently purchased two SA 12's dual 2 ohm, and a Hifonics BRZ 2400.1d.

First questions. How long should I break these in for? I plan on running at 2 ohm obviously to give it that extra power these subs crave.

I currently have a Kicker box approximately 4.4 cubes tuned at 42 hrz. Now I know this box is far from a 'good' enclosure for this setup so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a box build or prefabbed box sizes.

I would like to know if I should get a box with a side port or a front port firing to the rear of the vehicle.

Lastly, I have yet to get a second battery for the trunk (going in a cavalier) and would like to know what size battery I should get.

Any ideas, suggestions, opinion, etc. is extremely appreciated!

Thanks guys. I know SMD forums will get me the most accurate and reliable information available online.

I bought mine new and man they will loosen up quite a bit after some playtime, I would just ride the bass knob so it wasn't to smelly at first. 1700 watts will be plenty to get them moving. The box doesn't seem too bad, tuned a little lower might help, but they will work.

There's a post in the XS section which has like a battery chart I think.

Archived