I copied this from another thread, I think it is something everybody needs a reminder, especially now that so many people are using the DD-1 as well as using it as a defense when members on the forum are telling them they clipped their woofer.

The DD-1 is a great tool for the average consumer to set gains consistently and accurately. But, a DD-1 is not an end all solution to never clipping your woofers. Different songs are written at different levels, some include clipping from the start and some don't. It is the users responsibility to be "in tune" with their setup and recognize when they are pushing to hard and adjust.

For example, I've watched the man Steve himself alter his levels constantly depending on song and frequency. He had excellant attention to detail, constant monitoring of the health of the setup, and he controlled the system variables. I'm sorry (OP of the thread who blew a woofer) thought this woofer was indestructible and using the DD-1 was definitely a good move now you need to refine these skills by using the DD-1 with the right tones (I used 40hz -10db for my Scope) and constantly improving on how you are controlling the system.

-Drew

**Remember, woofers and amps are stupid. They only do what they are told and you are the bus driver on this road to DBs**

• Like (+1 Rep) 6

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

So for someone that mostly listens to mostly Decaf and Rap in general what tone should be used?

I have seen people say -5db some say 0db so I'm lost.

Edited by FeArZ

2009 Tahoe

2000bc Cresendo POWA Need 3500

2 Sundown Zv3 18 high rolled sexiness

dual alt bracket with Singer alt(coming soon)

Mtx Q(not sure if I'm going to use)

Knu wire and RCA's

Bass Head Bands

Oh and a few pairs of Jordan's

62c64997.jpg

some good things to remember there drew.

the DD-1 also didnt make DMMs and scopes useless like some people seem to believe.

• Like (+1 Rep) 1

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

So for someone that mostly listens to mostly Decaf and Rap in general what tone should be used? I have seen people say -5db some say 0db so I'm lost.

My understanding is this: using the "negative" wave actually gives you a boost in final output. It is like this because if you hear a perfectly clean sine wave it will be not nearly as loud as a soft clip wave. Woofers can take this much better than mids/highs can because of the size and frequency of the waves. So, the farther you go the more distortion you are allowing for when you switch off of your wave and back to music. A 0db freq. is least likely to clip at the number you set it on and so forth. For mids and highs you want a 0db because any little bit of distortion is much more audible and potentially damaging to the speaker.

In a nutshell, 0db is least final distortion and -15db is the most. The DD-1 allows you to consistently and accurately set the gain for each level out output (which is your choice as the bus driver)

-Drew

**note: keep in mind when I say "clip" I don't mean a flat wave hard clip I mean the very initial stages of distortion.

Edited by Noobtastic14

detail.gifI am a United States Military Arts and Crafts Professional. Sand it off, Paint it on. detail.gif

uhoh_45 said:
dont be a pussy P give the jeep to drew

i use 0db tone when i tune mine. i know which songs will clip and make my sub stink. and i know which one is quieter and increase the bass level a little bit on the head unit. remember, listening to song off your AUX can clip easier than using a CD.

for example:

i have a apple tv 1g that i use as my main source of songs, videos, pandora, etc to bump. i use it off the AUX. when tuning my amp off the deck, as everyone knows i use the CD for the test tone. i tune mine 59/62 off the cd. BUT when i listen to music off my apple tv, I know my max is 53 because anything above that volume will start to clip and get stinky.

just my 2 cents

How do the Japanese feel about bass?

You know that since 03/11/11

Progene? I just saw that stuff on CNN. They said it makes your junk shrink all up. lol.

im pretty sure the op wont even notice if it gets even smaller.

Refs - Pstone11, porksoda, coleman

Now if someone used the DD-1 in conjunction with the VU-DIN I think less people would be having problems, I will definitely be getting the VU-DIN.

Unless the DIN just goes off of volume numbers

Edited by SoCaLBaMF

7w1lnOR.jpg

2004 Bagged Trailblazer

(4)18" Sundown Nsv3s
(4) Taramps HD10000s, Taramps DSP3000, Lanzar opti 250x2, AB 100x4
(2)DC power SP 270s, (14)XS Power d3100s, (1)d6500

some good things to remember there drew.

the DD-1 also didnt make DMMs and scopes useless like some people seem to believe.

for setting gains it did. I will never ever use an O-scope to set another gain in my life.....

• Like (+1 Rep) 3

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916