Sonic Electronix

Anything sound interesting to you man?

-James

I am interested in trying one 15" SSA ZCON Subwoofer with a Sundown SAZ-2500D Amplifier. One of my only questions is should I buy a 1-Ohm or 2-Ohm subwoofer, what is the difference between them? Also planning to go with a ported enclosure. Also what will the super tweets help out with?

Hey man sorry it took so long to reply. I've been working some crazy hours and still had to make time for loved ones haha but anyway the 1ohm sub will allow you to wire your amp down to 1ohm which in return will create more power off your amp. The 2ohm sub can only be wired down to 2ohms and that will not create jas much power as the 1ohm. IMO you would def be happier with the 1ohm sub especially running it off the SAZ 2500D. That amp produces significantly less power at 2ohm than 1ohm. Only difference between the D1 and D2 sub is that one can be wired to 1ohm and one can be wired to 2ohms.

Good choice on the ZCON with the SAZ 2500D. Its going to sound great especially in the ported enclosure. Maybe tuned 36-38hz? Perfect match up though and with the right box it will be awsome.

As for the supertweets they will really bring out the highs in rock, country, metal, dubstep, or anything with high frequencies. I am looking at investing in some selinium or crescendo supertweets. The Bose tweets are nice but the supertweets with the right amp to supply the power to them would be twice as loud as the current ones. I wouldn't invest in them if you don't love the mids and especially the highs. Like me for example I love bass with a passion but I couldn't go without my treble and mids. I am in the process of getting my funds and everything together to install mids/highs in my Tahoe.

If you have any questions please post up man

I hope this can help you out,

-James

- 1997 Chevy Tahoe- Big 3 (1/0)- Dual Autocraft Batts- JVC KD-A315 HU- AQ 2200.1D- 18" AQ HDC3- Box w/ Removable Port (6ft^3 @ 36hz & 6.7ft^3 @ 42hz)- 39' 1/0 & 13' 2/0 Flex-A-Prene

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

Hey no worries, I know how busy work can get. So far this is my list of equipment to purchase:

- (1x) 1 Ohm 15" SSA ZCON Subwoofer

- (1x) SAZ 2500D Amplifer

- (1x) Ported Box - Should I just construct it myself or get one made?

- (1x) New Head Unit - I have yet to decide, any suggestions?

- There is also a good chance I will include some supertweets

Now I just have to plan how I am going to power all of this additional equipment. Any help would be much appreciated!

The products on your list sound great man. As for your box do you have any past skills in wood working? Are you comfortable building your own box? There are many great box builders/designers here in the community. Maybe one of them will chime in and help you out with a design. You could also post a thread in the Subwoofer/enclosure sub fourm and ask for help on an enclosure. Ill post a link below to the subforum so you can check it out. I hope this can help on an enclosure.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/forum/11-subwoofers-enclosures/

As for a headunit are you looking for a double din or a single din headunit? Def get one with a USB port on the front and not an AUX input. Probably be looking for one that is bluetooth, HD Radio, and Sat Radio capable also. Do you have any HU's that you already like the style of?

Good to hear you may be getting some supertweets because they will really bring out the treble. Are you going to put an amp on your mid speakers and tweeters? Maybe just like a small 4-chan amp? Might want to look at the Sundown SAX-100.4D amp. I would stick with Sundown Amps since you will have one of their amps running your sub. An amp on your mids especially would bring out the mid-bass and make the tweets a little more clear and crisp. I hope this will help on the supertweets.

As for alternators when I upgrade my Alt on my Tahoe I think I am going to go ahead and save the money to drop on a 270A Mechman Alt. DC Power has a 185A alt for my Tahoe which is only $249.95 but I'd rather save up and get a little bigger alt to start with instead of having to upgrade yet again in the future. I have heard geat things about Mechman alts also. I think you would be ok going with an Alt under 200A since your running a 2500D. Also might consider putting a spare battery in the back or as close to the amp as you can.

https://www.dcpowerinc.com/category/high-output-alternators.html

http://mechman.com/index.php/blog/item/the-difference-a-high-output-alternator-can-make.html

http://www.powerbastards.com/

You may be fine with just doing the Big 3 upgrade and running 1/0 wiring in all of your audio wiring applications (big 3, front batt to amp, and all your grounds). Keep in mind you will def need to at least upgrade your front batt. An Optima yellow top would be sufficient or if you wanted to spend the extra money go ahead and get an XS Power D3400, D2700, or D3100 just depending on how much money you want to spend. Just use nothing but 1/0 wire for any power or ground situation and do the Big 3 upgrade and Upgrade the front battery. The stock batt wont be able to handle to the amount of current that 2500D will draw.

This is a little more expensive route but a better route to take if you have the money. To help power the amps if you dont want to upgrade your Alt then I would go with the either XS Power or Shuriken batts. I will post below what I would get to put in my Tahoe. I really hope this can answer some of your questions on how to power the new system. If you have any questions from what I have posted just post them up.

XS Power:

Upgrade the front batt with (1) D3400

Put (1) D545 pr D680 in the back of the truck or as close to the amp as you can.

Shuriken:

Upgrade the front batt with (1) SK-BT120 or SK-BT140

Put (1) SK-BT45 or SK-BT60 in the rear of the truck or as near the amp as you can.

If anyone has anything to add to what I have said or if anyone sees I need correcting anywhere please feel free to do so.

I have stated quite a few options cause I didnt know which one might be right for you. I hope this can help you out.

-James

- 1997 Chevy Tahoe- Big 3 (1/0)- Dual Autocraft Batts- JVC KD-A315 HU- AQ 2200.1D- 18" AQ HDC3- Box w/ Removable Port (6ft^3 @ 36hz & 6.7ft^3 @ 42hz)- 39' 1/0 & 13' 2/0 Flex-A-Prene

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

Some of the comments here are just silly.

Most of the people on this forum are pure bass heads.

Id suggest you at least go into a nice shop and chat with them.

I can get you in contact with someone if you like.

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

What comments would be silly man? I don't want to give any wong info or anything. Also going into a nice shop would always benefit since your are talking to them in person and since you possibly see a few of the items in person. I am not lucky enough to have any extremely nice shops around Rocky Mount, NC but would you happen to know of any good shops for me or the OP ray?

-James

My Selling Feedback

Build Log

Archived