Second Skin Audio

Ported Box Design: A Tutorial *Updated 6/30*

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This allowed me to understand Torres a lot better. Thank you very much!

1998 Ford Contour

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-P8400BH

Front/Rear Door Speakers: Alpine SPR-68 (Type-R 6x8)

Door Speaker Amplifer: Kicker ZX650.4

Subwoofers: 1 SSA Icon 12"

Amplifier: MB.Quart 1.1500d

Second Battery: XS Power D925

***How to Account for port area***

If you want to take the port flare into account here is yow to do so.

It affects the box very little so it isn't a requirement but it is good to know how to do.

Here is our flare:

49805221.png

Since is is so small we will treat it as if it were just 45 degrees.

We will calculate it as if it were this:

53781492.png

Start by finding the area of your triangle.

Do this by multiplying base times height.

.75*.75=.5625 inches^2

Normally when finding area of a triangle you would divide by 2, however since we have 2 triangle this is not necessary.

Next, multiply this area by the height of your port (7.5 in this case)

.5625*7.5=4.21875 inches^3

Then divide by 1728 to change it to feet^3

4.21875/1728=0.00244 feet^3

This is the displacement of your port flare. Add it into the bracing displacement as a negative number (because it adds volume, rather than uses) to be more exact.

It is not a requirement by any means that you do this to build a good box, but it will help with acuracy. It should only affect port length by about 1/16 of an inch at most. So it has a small impact but for those of use who are picky on that kind of stuff you now know how to account for it.

I have a few questions.

Do you know the general port area size per subwoofer size. I think that would help a lot of people.

And when doing a L slot port are you suppose to do the bend the same distance from back wall as the width of the port. And how do you measure the depth of an L port.

Just a few questions I had and to have the answers here I think would make it easy

13 Kia Forte Build!

07 Hyundai Accent Build

***Super Seller***

N8ball2013

And then he gets to say ok all you guys were right. im sorry for being a dummy poo poo head.

ndjs.jpg

I have a few questions.

Do you know the general port area size per subwoofer size. I think that would help a lot of people.

And when doing a L slot port are you suppose to do the bend the same distance from back wall as the width of the port. And how do you measure the depth of an L port.

Just a few questions I had and to have the answers here I think would make it easy

I'm not sure about what a specific port area size you should use but when designing your box torres gives you a range to stay between. (someone else chime in if the is a general guideline per sub size)

As for the port, Yes you stay the same distance from the back as you do on the side. The port is measured directly down the center and ideally a port would have a round curve but because of how difficult it would be to make that a 45 is used.

Archived