never had an alarm, but its needed!

So I don't have an alarm on my car, but considering the amount of money I have into it, its time to get one. I know viper is the best, but they are also costly. I don't need anything huge, but just something to deter thieves with a flashing led and that would go off if someone popped out the lock on my trunk or busted out a window. My budget is 100 bux right now. Anything is appreciated!

Also, I have always done all of my own work on my car (basic mechanical things, subs, amps speakers, etc.) How hard is it to install an alarm with no previous experience? Because if I have to pay to have it installed that would probably have to be taken into accound when determining which alarm to purchase.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

Audio Saving's deal of the day today is an alarm.

Its a cheap one but I was looking at it as I've never installed one before, seems like a good starting point.

http://www.audiosavings.com/audiosavings-day-deal/index.aspx?item_cd=SP-101

• 3 weeks later...

I also want to know how hard they are to install with no previous alarm install but basic car stereo systems installation knowledge.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

A good installer should be able to knock out a basic alarm in less than an hour to 2 hours depending on the car. Add remote start and the type of bypass needed add another hour. Shade tree mechanic probably all day depending on your knowledge of advanced electrical principle ie resistors, relays and diodes.

I used to install Viper all the time in early 2000's but the shop where I work now uses Code Alarm. Basic alarm can be installed for $150 full on RS Alarm around 300 depending on the car.

Do it yourself and you will save allot of money but you could inherit a ton of problems. now this is obviously biased but I have always felt that an alarm is an advanced install and should be left to the people who do them all the time.

Edited by Q-Bert

2006 Chevy Cobalt SS

Headunit: Eclipse 8445 (sold)

Highs Amp: Eclipse 3620 (sold)

Sub Amp: Eclipse 3122 (sold)

Front stage: Memphis M class6.5 components (2007)

Sub: 1 Memphis M class 12" (sold)

SPL TermLab 130.7 (windshield) (selling)

Car Audio & Alarm installer for 16 years.

Pray for my daughter Katrina please!

Depending on the car, its not a big deal. Use a DMM, not a test light. Test EVERY line, last thing you want to do is tap into the wrong wire. Take your time with it. Also consider going to a shop and asking how much they would do it for if you purchased the alarm from them too. Would probably be a little over your budget, but something to consider.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

You can look at it this way ... is your stolen system worth 100 dollars or should you save up and say your stolen system ( plus what they break to get it) worth 500 dollars for an alarm ? And I would have someone install for you because some company's will have a guarantee, like viper has a 2500 dollar guarantee if install by professional.

I would jump on that deal !!! If I hadn't bought my alarm yet I would have

You can look at it this way ... is your stolen system worth 100 dollars or should you save up and say your stolen system ( plus what they break to get it) worth 500 dollars for an alarm ? And I would have someone install for you because some company's will have a guarantee, like viper has a 2500 dollar guarantee if install by professional.

^^this is a good point....Also, I always forget to mention, talk to your insurance company to see if they cover stolen equipment from your car. Some will cover it as long as you have the receipts and it is fastened down. Another thing to consider is that most insurance companies will give you a small percent discount for having an alarm, but only if its been professionally installed.

And I don't know how Orion still has that alarm for sale. It should have been gone long ago.

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

^^this is a good point....Also, I always forget to mention, talk to your insurance company to see if they cover stolen equipment from your car. Some will cover it as long as you have the receipts and it is fastened down. Another thing to consider is that most insurance companies will give you a small percent discount for having an alarm, but only if its been professionally installed.

And I don't know how Orion still has that alarm for sale. It should have been gone long ago.

I am actually contemplating pushing back my tints and deadening to get that alarm, I really need one.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm