Second Skin Audio

no access to clamps

gt58

I build mine without clamps. Glue and screw with a drywall square ftw

I only used the screws as clamps until the glue dried, then I took them out of the box so I could route over it. See if you can find the screws that only have threads on the frontmost portion - they work very well for squeezing the mdf together. And don't forget to predrill!

I build mine without clamps. Glue and screw with a drywall square ftw

I only used the screws as clamps until the glue dried, then I took them out of the box so I could route over it. See if you can find the screws that only have threads on the frontmost portion - they work very well for squeezing the mdf together. And don't forget to predrill!

this was exactly what i meant. screwing, letting the glue dry, then removing screws. this technique, it yield successful results yes?

I built my box by lining up the parts and then pre-drilling the holes then using 3" long drywall screws to secure it after i applied titebond 2 glue at the seams of the box. I put a shit load of screws in it though, like every inch and a half i put a screw in but it made it secure as hell and i am 100% confident that the seams on my box will not break apart. The only time a clamp was used in my box fab process was for the front baffle. I used a few c-clamps for around the spot where i cut out the port but that was it. I would have used my pneumatic nailer but it couldnt fit longer nails and i wasnt about to spend the money for a new gun and longer nails when i have a crap load of drywall screws of assorted lengths ready at home and a powerful as hell drywall gun.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

i use.. 1 5/8" coarse drywall screws..

line piece up how they should fit.. pre drill 1 hole, put screw in, drill one more on opposite side, put screw in, then pre drill the rest of the holes where ever you want screws.. then pull the screws out, put glue on joint then put all the screws in..

i leave the screws in id rather have the screws in then not have screws in..

1998 gmc extd cab

12 crossfire C710s

4 SAZ-4500s

3 Singer 400A alts
buncha mids/highs

Team Asshole

You can use nails or screws. On smaller boxes that are going to be used with low powered systems, I just use glue and nails. Also I really dont understand why you would take the screws back out after the glue has dried. I just leave the screws in. Just dont put them too close to the edge and you will be just fine with a router.

who uses nails on their boxes?

I dont know how many boxes I have built for other people this year, and all boxes where glued together, clamped, and than nailed.

I built various boxes for my tahoe using the same method (glue, clamp, nail) and the boxes all ranged from 151-155+db on a termlab meter, and none of them failed due to using nails...

and all these boxes where low tuned high air moving monsters with over 10,000 watts to a pair of 18s, or 4 15s, or even a single smd 18... never a failure!

edit:

as for screws....

its a lot more work, more time consuming when you do it right.

if you dont want your wood to split, you must predrill every hole, and even than at times you still split wood.

if you screw more than every 3inches you are actually decreasing the strength of wood.

a screw is a thicker gauge than a nail, meaning more wood being removed so less material is being used at that 3/4inch width to bond the 2 pieces together.

Also I really dont understand why you would take the screws back out after the glue has dried. I just leave the screws in. Just dont put them too close to the edge and you will be just fine with a router.

The average drywall screw which is commonly used for building boxes has a screw head diameter of about 1/4th inch.

The average thickness of wood used for a speaker box is 3/4th inch, in which you want to put that screw dead center of.

Now lets say you want to put a 1/2inch round over on all exterior edges of the box. Please explain to me how your going to clear that screw..........?

Even if you used a 1/4th inch round over bit on the box you still have a 60+ percent chance of hitting that screw just because your not going to be dead center when you screw it in.

At that point, a 1/4th inch round over is so minimal its almost don't pay to do it. Just in my boxes alone I often find me using 5/8th, 3/4th and 1 inch round overs on exterior corners. And even at all 3 of those sizes I must admit that I even hit tiny brad nails with my bits often. And you claim.....

So how your able to do it with leaving a screw in the wood, I find VERY hard to believe!!! Unless your using a tiny 1/8th inch roundover bit.

I just run over the screws with my roundover...the sparks are kinda fun

My bit.is.old and crappy tho lol, as long as it rounds the edge I'm cool

Thats cool and all.... But when you spend $40, $60, even up to $125 on a single router bit, i don't think you will feel the same way about it.

I glue, then screw...before i got clapms, i held that shit together with my hands til it dried, like a boss! xD. Jk, I glued it, then scewed in a few screws per side (all of them countersunk of course), then caulked, carpeted, and viola, an airtight box (:

What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Project DB Battery Terminals

Axxess ASWC

Stinger HPM Everywhereeee

90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang

Archived