Sundown Audio

Audiopipe AP-15001D Tested for RMS Power Output

WillistonAudioLabs

Have you tested other amps with this method? I'd be curious to see other results. This sounds like a great way to test amps and possibly put together a list. Do you have access to other amps? I'm guessing your power supplies would limit you to somewhere around 2500w amps?

I'm sure there are people on here that wouldn't mind sending you an amp to test, I know I'd be willing to. I have some oldschool earthquake amps laying around for grins. It would be nice to have a list to compare popular amps with all other things equal.

Thanks for posting, it's always nice to see someone testing things in a controlled environment.

I've got a few amps laying around to test...

Right now I can't dedicate enough time to do the testing and don't usually test amps for people. I am keeping a database of my tests, just wish I could dedicate more time to the project. I'm working on a way to put the results on my website, so it will be easy reference for people looking at amps. Most of what I test are the old school amps, but I'll stray every now and then and test a new one for curiosity and comparison's sake...

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

There are also differences in performance betwen amps from the same model as you all may know, hence the reason why RF always includes a birthsheet. Would they need to change the name of each amp :pardon:

Woofer: 12" Phase Linear Aliante Limited

Mids & highs: DLS Ultimate 5 1/4"

Amp: Audison VRX 6.420

HU: Sony CDX-C90R

There are also differences in performance betwen amps from the same model as you all may know, hence the reason why RF always includes a birthsheet. Would they need to change the name of each amp :pardon:

Yes but the difference would be pretty much negligible. If it's a quality amp then that company would have a very small tolerance on their components.

Birthsheets aren't exactly important. Mostly a selling tool.

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

True, but we all can admit this is not a high end product (otherwise we should remention the price). :D I took the example of RF, just to show there are differences wetween same brand model amps. I know they deliver more power than promised (and not at an unreasonable 16V).

Woofer: 12" Phase Linear Aliante Limited

Mids & highs: DLS Ultimate 5 1/4"

Amp: Audison VRX 6.420

HU: Sony CDX-C90R

But they will all do what theyre rated for, thats the point. What they actually produce doesn't really matter as far as the birthsheet is concerned, as that actually proves it will do what it is supposed to do. Anything extra is just icing.

Tell me...does this smell like chloroform to you?

I hear yah. I've got 2 earthquake 40UHCs laying around I'm planning on clamping sometime in the near future, kinda curious as to what they put out. They've been modded, but from what I've heard is that they're modded for stability not to make more power.

On another note, I should figure out a cheap test bench (vs. buying expensive 12 or 14v high current power supplies) like with a couple deep cycle batteries and get some resistors and do some comparisons. I have access to a fair amount of different amps. Would be kind of cool to at least compare amps in a controlled environment since there are so many variables when people are testing in different cars, different woofers and so on.

Have you tested other amps with this method? I'd be curious to see other results. This sounds like a great way to test amps and possibly put together a list. Do you have access to other amps? I'm guessing your power supplies would limit you to somewhere around 2500w amps?

I'm sure there are people on here that wouldn't mind sending you an amp to test, I know I'd be willing to. I have some oldschool earthquake amps laying around for grins. It would be nice to have a list to compare popular amps with all other things equal.

Thanks for posting, it's always nice to see someone testing things in a controlled environment.

I've got a few amps laying around to test...

Right now I can't dedicate enough time to do the testing and don't usually test amps for people. I am keeping a database of my tests, just wish I could dedicate more time to the project. I'm working on a way to put the results on my website, so it will be easy reference for people looking at amps. Most of what I test are the old school amps, but I'll stray every now and then and test a new one for curiosity and comparison's sake...

I hear yah. I've got 2 earthquake 40UHCs laying around I'm planning on clamping sometime in the near future, kinda curious as to what they put out. They've been modded, but from what I've heard is that they're modded for stability not to make more power.

On another note, I should figure out a cheap test bench (vs. buying expensive 12 or 14v high current power supplies) like with a couple deep cycle batteries and get some resistors and do some comparisons. I have access to a fair amount of different amps. Would be kind of cool to at least compare amps in a controlled environment since there are so many variables when people are testing in different cars, different woofers and so on.

I think using some big AGM or Deep Cycle Marine Batteries may be the best way to test the big amps. It just costs a fortune to get a power supply large enough to support more than 200A and I've already hit the limit of my dual 100A supplies when testing some amplifiers. I think XS Power could benefit from providing me a couple of big D3100's... :deal:

See my videos on YouTube http://www.willistonaudio.com  Many tests and demos of OLD and NEW SCHOOL car audio gear!

See cool pics on Instagram @oldschoolstereo

Nice bench & test man, been subscribed for a while and love watching your videos!

One thing i did notice is that in my manual Audiopipe states...

"RMS @ 1 Ohm (<1% DISTORTION)........1500w"

then further down it says

"THD @ 4 Ohm load 30% Rated Power........ <0.2%" :WTFBubble:

I'm guessing the latter part of those published specs are the correct ones lol.

Regardless I am content with the performance of the AP series amps, they have served me well for nearly 5 years.

Thanks again for this video look forward to seeing more from you! :drink40:

2002 BMW 530i [E39]|Headunit: Pioneer AVH-4300 ||Front Speakers : Diamon Audio 5.25 Components||Amps: Pioneer 4 Channel & AP30001D ||Subs: SSA XCON 15 ||Box: 4.3 Cubes @ 30hz|

Archived