Second Skin Audio

18" Subs That Can Handle Over 6000watts RMS

Captain Stupid (lol, I feel like I'm insulting you), how does this sound?

I have a dual 18" ported box.

- List specs of box (dimensions, port area/length, tuning frequency)

- Vehicle

- I am not willing to switch boxes

I am planning on running 2 RF T2500s strapped PER sub and will have the electrical to back it (if you need assistance in figuring out electrical to back the 4 T2500s, start a new thread in the charging system section).

Are there any 18 inch subs that will handle this type of power for.... (list what you want to do with them, from reading this thread it sounds like you want them to be able to play music indefinately (i.e. 10 minutes or longer with no breaks (If that is what you want, list it.)).

- I want it reliable, I don't want to intermittently recone my subs. I want subs that will handle this all day long, barring unforseen circumstances (i.e. equipment failure that would cause clipping/low voltage, etc.)

Once you list that we can give you much better answers.

Captain Stupid (lol, I feel like I'm insulting you), how does this sound?

I have a dual 18" ported box.

- List specs of box (dimensions, port area/length, tuning frequency)

- Vehicle

- I am not willing to switch boxes

I am planning on running 2 RF T2500s strapped PER sub and will have the electrical to back it (if you need assistance in figuring out electrical to back the 4 T2500s, start a new thread in the charging system section).

Are there any 18 inch subs that will handle this type of power for.... (list what you want to do with them, from reading this thread it sounds like you want them to be able to play music indefinately (i.e. 10 minutes or longer with no breaks (If that is what you want, list it.)).

- I want it reliable, I don't want to intermittently recone my subs. I want subs that will handle this all day long, barring unforseen circumstances (i.e. equipment failure that would cause clipping/low voltage, etc.)

Once you list that we can give you much better answers.

I understood him perfectly fine... Half your posts on the other hand seem ridiculously vague.

You seem to give a lot of advice but have you ever run 6k a sub before?

i shook this one kids hand and it just folded in mine. long story short i fucked his girlfriendso.. yeah..

You want this to happen to you? Give decent handshakes people.

I was gifted with an innate ability to distribute wholesale ass beatings in a timely and orderly fashion.

I understood him perfectly fine... Half your posts on the other hand seem ridiculously vague.

You seem to give a lot of advice but have you ever run 6k a sub before?

They are vague because I haven't. I have run 3kw to a level 5 m1, and from those experiences, is what I'm basing my comments on. I'm being vague hoping that someone that HAS run 6kw to a single sub for more than just burps will chime in and fill in the blanks. It also seems that most of the people posting in this thread either misunderstood what Captain Stupid is asking (not all their fault because it wasn't immediately apparent). I am trying to clarify exactly what he is asking so that others can offer suggestions. Without the clarification, this is just another "what subs can you potentially run 6kw through "daily"" like all of the other threads. I understand him fine too, but that doesn't mean others do (as is apparent with the 5 pages of "run 2 subs instead of one", etc.)

I understand running 6kw to a sub is much different than 3k to a sub, and that's what I'm getting at, it's not as simple as dropping in a sub and calling it a day. Shit, even 3kw to a sub isn't as easy as it sounds unless you've done it before or have someone who has that can help.

I think my question was posed correctly. I'm not asking for advise on my enclosure, my electrical, my amp configuration or anything else. I just wanted to know what subwoofers are capable of reliably handling 6000 watts. Will I play at full tilt non-stop all day, every day? No, of course not. But I want subs that can handle it if I chose to. I'd rather get subs that can handle more than I am doing to them than less. I'd rather overpay for a sub that handles more than I can give it than get something that is at its limit every time I use it at full tilt. I think my question was basic and to the point. It's all the extra conversations of other second-guessing what I am doing that are confusing the issue.

Also, strapping is unnecessary. The T2500s have a pass through master/slave setting that would be better to use in this situation. Ask Master Steve himself, that's the way he runs his 8 T2500s, not strapped. I would only strap two if I bought subs with too high an impedence and wanted it lowered for max power, or if I wanted to put 6000 watts on a single voice coil.

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

I think my question was posed correctly. I'm not asking for advise on my enclosure, my electrical, my amp configuration or anything else. I just wanted to know what subwoofers are capable of reliably handling 6000 watts. Will I play at full tilt non-stop all day, every day? No, of course not. But I want subs that can handle it if I chose to. I'd rather get subs that can handle more than I am doing to them than less. I'd rather overpay for a sub that handles more than I can give it than get something that is at its limit every time I use it at full tilt. I think my question was basic and to the point. It's all the extra conversations of other second-guessing what I am doing that are confusing the issue.

Also, strapping is unnecessary. The T2500s have a pass through master/slave setting that would be better to use in this situation. Ask Master Steve himself, that's the way he runs his 8 T2500s, not strapped. I would only strap two if I bought subs with too high an impedence and wanted it lowered for max power, or if I wanted to put 6000 watts on a single voice coil.

ok, didn't know they had that capability, I thought you were planning on gain matching.

Anyway, I understand you don't want enclosure advice, but how much a sub will handle does depend on the enclosure, so we at least need to factor in your box specs.

I can't believe no one said IA warden

He has already shot down other subs because their RMS isn't close to 6k at all. The sp4 is 2.5k and so are some of the others that have take that much power but not rated for it. Closest out of everything thrown out there is dc level 6.

MY BUILD *****http://tinyurl.com/gmcbuild*****

Vehicles

2005 GMC Canyon

CB1000r - Currently where any future funds are going. (exhasut,bazzaz, ohlins shock, screen, etc.)

crf250r - Used to be race bike..now I just trail ride..practice at the track on it.

CH80 - Daily beater (when nice weather)best 150$ ever spent. 100+mpg

Sold to:

Skullz - pstone11 - Leo1103 - Volvo 63' - pavelpardo - imnew59585

Shower farts still piss me off.

I think theyre pretty neat. When the water runs down your crack as you let one out... its like shitting in a crockpot.

I can't believe no one said IA warden

He has already shot down other subs because their RMS isn't close to 6k at all. The sp4 is 2.5k and so are some of the others that have take that much power but not rated for it. Closest out of everything thrown out there is dc level 6.

It's not so much that I've shot them down Chris. More like keeping them in mind, just not the top of the list. The SMD and DC 6 are at the top of the list be because there are guys like Steve that have documented pushing them with 6000+ on a daily basis. I'd put the SP4 up there also if someone stepped up and said they were giving them 6000+ daily for a year or better. Haven't heard that. So far only heard that they COULD do it. Big difference in my mind between could and did.

2006 Cadillac Escalade

2/3 drop on 28" wheels

Two RE SX 18" subs

RF T2500-1bdCP amp, 3531watts on birthsheet

Custom carbon fiber sub box

EVERYTHING else is stock, for now

149.4 @ 37hz, Termlab, dash, open window on two AQ3 18s all stock electrical, wired to .25 ohm on a RF T2500

148.8 @ 36hz, Termlab, dash, open window on one AQ3 18 all stock electrical, wired to .5 ohm on a RF T2500

147.8 @ 38hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on two RE SX 18s

146.4 @ 36hz, Termlab, legal, sealed on one RE SX 18

Link to my hack-built, stupid, carbon fiber wasting project.... http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/149946-carbon-fiber-box-update-1494db-37hz-on-tl/

http://gifsoup.com/NDM3MTc1MQ

I would say, with what is currently on the market that you can buy new, your best bet would be a level 6. otherwise you could wait to see what the new smd's and ns v3's do. As far as whether or not it will take this in your current setup, I'll leave that up to people who are more experienced in running this kind of power, as I have said before.

Does anyone else know of anything currently on the market that is on the same or higher level (no pun intended) than a level 6?

And I'm spent.

Archived