Going active, a few basic questions "if you will"

newls1

Not knowing the speakers or amps. I would run each midbass on their own channel for power. And the only run 4 sets of tweeters on that last set of channels series paralleled to whatever ohm load works. Won't be able to do TA but will let you get the most. This is assuming the amps don't double power with two sets of mids on a channel

Agree, if time alignment is not key...i would go this route all day as well.....again, assuming amp specs and such....

well done R

he asked for opinions on active not necessarily sq guys! just active!

fuck it Im out

I'm not trying to make anyone mad ... especially the mods and admins

I'm only trying to help ... Newls1, If I can help out, please shoot me a pm and I will come back ...

Sorry, I will not post on this thread any more ...

Thank you guys ...

Randal

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

he asked for opinions on active not necessarily sq guys! just active!

fuck it Im out

I'm not trying to make anyone mad ... especially the moda and damins

I'm only trying to help ... Newls1, If I can help out, please shoot me a pm and I will come back ...

Sorry, I will not post on this thread any more ...

Thank you guys ...

Randal

jeesus x kristy randal calm down

Im just saying He never asked for sq advice yet there are ppl jumoing all over it like he was. he is a simple man and needs simple answers.... yes he can load 2 sets of speaks to a channel AS LONG AS his amps and speaks can handle the power/impedance.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Wiring a crap load of speakers on a single amp while running active as opposed to running a few speakers on a ton of amp doesnt change anything more than the impedance you run them at and the power that the speakers themselves will receive. The only thing about running active is that for multiple amps you can either daisy chain them if your amp has an input and output that is NOT filtered. Now by meaning that it is not filtered i mean that the amp has a pass-thru rca setup. If the amp is not pass-thru you cannot use it as it will not output the same frequency range that you specified on the amps inputs. Like if you have 80-1500Hz playing on the first amp and connect it to a second amp but the first amp does not have pass-thru rca's then the second amp will either be higher than 1.5KHz or lower than 80Hz depending on how the output of the first amp works. You will need to check your amp manual to see if it has a crossover that changes with your amp when you adjust it.

What i say would be the easiest is just take your signal and use y-splitters to break the connection up into the different rca inputs for each amp you use. Like if your radio has 6 rca outputs (2 fronts, 2 rears and 2 subs) and you have lets say 5 amps (5 for the tweeters, 5 for the midrange) you can do what i did to mine by using the front outputs and splitting it up so you have 5 pairs of rca's to connect with and use them as the mid channels. Then you can take the rear channels, split them up 5 times and use that for the tweeters. Now make note that by doing it this way you lose fading. You will NOT be able to have front and rear fading. You will still have the balance from left and right just not from front to rear. If you want to have fade you need to get an amp that has a high enough x-over (very rarely will you find this) where you can crank up that x-over knob nearly all the way to get it near where the tweeters should just start to play at. What you would need to do if you wanted the ability to have fade would be get a sound processor just for the tweeters (since sound processors have a higher x-over freq than the x-overs built into amps) and then you will use the pass-thru rca's to connect to the sound processor then connect the sound processor to the tweeter amps.

Sorry for this long post but that is how i personally would run it. I have been full active for over a year now with 0 issues. Now i also would NOT go active unless you own a SMD CC-1. Setting those x-overs on an amp is not even near close, even with detents to be able to get them set accurately.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Sq or not give each speaker its own channel so you can take full advantage of going active

so two tweets on the same channel set to the same freqs are going to react differently than 2 tweets on different channels set to the same freqs?

Scientia est Vox

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Sq or not give each speaker its own channel so you can take full advantage of going active

so two tweets on the same channel set to the same freqs are going to react differently than 2 tweets on different channels set to the same freqs?

No but being full active and for TA and imaging there iis a good chance that the 2 tweets could have diffenrt settings if you want to keep it simple you can wire them 2gether then you lose some sound quality at 2 ohms

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

No but being full active and for TA and imaging there iis a good chance that the 2 tweets could have diffenrt settings if you want to keep it simple you can wire them 2gether then you lose some sound quality at 2 ohms

ALPINE! your reading into this toooooo much bro

its not that deep.... trust me.....

Scientia est Vox

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

Archived