Changin my brake pads for the first time..tips?

Its fairly easy. Go on Youtube and watch a bunch of tutorials. Every car is pretty much the same. You will need wrenches, probably a breaker bar, BIG C-clamp, stuff like that. See if you need new rotors as well or if they have enough material left to be machined.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT (Yea its got a Hemi)Alpine CDA-105KnuKonceptz 0ga CCA

Big 3 with Yellow Top

15" SoundQubed HDC3DC Audio 1.2K (Bass)Pioneer 6x9's (Front)Pioneer 6.5's (Rear)Kicker 3.5's (Dash)Sony amp on the highs. (Hey it was free)

Its fairly easy. Go on Youtube and watch a bunch of tutorials. Every car is pretty much the same. You will need wrenches, probably a breaker bar, BIG C-clamp, stuff like that. See if you need new rotors as well or if they have enough material left to be machined.

cool, what do bad rotors look like?

You can find tutorials on google

A couple tips are to push the cylinders back into the caliper using a c-clamp and the old pad, grease the caliper sliders, and make sure you don't have any spare parts lol. Its also not a bad idea to flush your brakes while you are at it. Helps to get moisture out of the system

A couple tips are to push the cylinders back into the caliper using a c-clamp and the old pad, grease the caliper sliders, and make sure you don't have any spare parts lol. Its also not a bad idea to flush your brakes while you are at it. Helps to get moisture out of the system

alright I'm gonna have to do a lot of reading and watching of videos because I'm pretty good with this kinda work but sounds like somthin I could easily fuck up lol

Bad rotors will be warped or grooved. I usually take a small hammer and lightly tap the rust off mine just to keep it from flaking off and getting caught between my new pads and the rotor. Or if they're bad enough just replace them. Check for uneven wear on the old pads too.

you mean air out of the system?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

you mean air out of the system?

Brake fluid attracts moisture, every time the BMC reservoir cap is off, moisture gets into the system.

FYI: If your brake fluid's black/brown, flush it.

Brake fluid's clear.

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

I always just get new rotors each change. So even if they happened to be warped or anything at all it takes all the guess work out of it. Plus my car seems to have smoother braking when I do rotors. I'm always self conscious if I don't change them.

Also iirc when you depress the caliper with the c clamp, don't you need to open the reservoir? Can someone confirm that?

Also, if your calipers aren't getting pushed back by the c clamp then you might need new calipers/brake lines. I had issues with my back brakes. I bent the hell out of a C clamp trying to push them back in. Here my lines deteriorated on the inside which made my caliper fail. You generally don't have to worry about it at all unless you have a ton of miles on your car.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

Archived