Sonic Electronix

Soo i recently traded some no name 12" subs that are handmade in Chicago (DJL POPS) "750rms", and a Hifonics Brutus Elite 20001D

for a Image Dynamics Max D2 12" in a Atrend "SPL" Ported Box. When the guy did a demo off a JL 1000/1, it hit hard and sounded good.

Then i hooked it up to my Hifonics amp, and it hit even harder. After trading, the next day, i hooked up a left over Kicker 750.1 to the sub. First i wired it to a 1ohm load, later finding out that the 750.1 is not 1ohm stable.

So i wired the sub to a 4 ohm load. Now, after paying for a good 5 minutes, the sub starts giving out a weird burning like odor. Kinda smells like vomit also. the Kicker 750.1 was giving out somewhere near "350 watts rms" and the ID Max is rated at 1000rms.

The sub looks new, still has the blue plastic on the bottom of the magnet and is kinda stiff. I know little of breaking in subs, but i learned that UNDER powering a sub can cause it to smell and is just as worse as OVER powering a sub.

So today, i bought a slightly used Soundstream STL1.1200 that IS 1ohm stable. So i wired the sub back to 1ohm (verified with Fluke Meter)

and then i set all the gains to halfway. annnd nothing. Just a tiny bit of bass and that smell came back. Wired it back to 4ohms, and the SAME exact result.. What could it be ??

My wires were ran professionally. i currently am running 4 gauge, and my previous set ups were hitting REALLLY HARD. But now, i get nothing. Kinda disappointing, especially with my first ID MAX.

Under powering can't hurt anything.. As I was told by someone on this forum is that when your listening too music at lower levels its always under powered. I'm guessing you got your gains too high to "compensate" for only running 350 watts to that sub. How did u set the gains?

2003 GMC Yukon Denali

Alpine CDA 117

Redoing Mids/Highs

4 Runs of 1/0 Knukonceptz 2+, 2-

4 Deka 9A31's in back (Stock underhood) 250 amp Alt.

AQ20K

2 18" Crossfire XS V.2's 12 cubes 33hz 149sq inches of port!

the gains on the Kicker amp were half way and didnt get much. Turned the gains all the way to the max and still the same sound.

Then today, i bought the Soundstream STL 1200D, and wired the Sub to 1ohm, and got the same result as the Kicker amp. Gains were half way, then got the same sound when i put them to the max to see if it made a difference.

I'm guessing you may have fried that sub when you wired it to 1 ohm when the amp wasn't 1 ohm stable.

What the f**k is an appropriate signature supposed to look like?

2013 Kia Forte Koup

Pioneer AVH-X4600BT

iDMax 12

DD M1c @ 2 ohms

Rockford Prime 200.2

Pioneer 6.75" Comp Set

XS S3400, D2700

Project DB Battery Terminals

Axxess ASWC

Stinger HPM Everywhereeee

90 Sq. Ft. of Stinger Roadkill

Stock Alt

Stuff To Come

Sundown X-12

New Amp

New Comps

4 Channel Amp

My Current Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167462-13-kia-forte-koup-dd-setup/

My Old Build: http://www.stevemead..._+2000 +mustang

Archived