Second Skin Audio

how to determine how much to shrink box for extra power?

Fatman489

So how does one decide how much box volume to lose when you add more power? I am thinking about adding some extra juice to my sub but curious as to how people factor in the extra power into box design. Is it like a general rule of thumb per x ammount of watts or just kinda guess and hope for the best lol

DFAC

Beating Down The Block

2013 Kenworth T-660 Studio Sleeper-The daily and Money maker

I do what I want -push it till it pops!

would like to know this info to

t1500bdcp

2 t2d4 15"

1 t600.4

1 t400.2

1 set p1 tweets

singer alt, tons of wiring, smd vm-1, 80prs, back seat delete, still in the works, aiming for a 145-147 with the ability to play 25hz up to 50hz.

Kind've guess and hope for the best.. Lol

Pretty much this, start shrinking little bit by little bit if you feel you need to. I would add power with your current box and go from there. You may or may not have to shrink your box depending on your setup.

06 Police TahoeHU- Pioneer 80prsAmp- Crossfire 8kSub- 4 15" Crossfire xs v2sWire- 1/0 Knu/AudiotechnixAlt- 3 Mechman SMD 340sBatts- 6 XS Power 3100s, 2400

So how does one decide how much box volume to lose when you add more power? I am thinking about adding some extra juice to my sub but curious as to how people factor in the extra power into box design. Is it like a general rule of thumb per x ammount of watts or just kinda guess and hope for the best lol

What sub do you have and what are the current box specs? How much power do you plan on using?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

Something like this is hard to determine. Like Orion asked equipment is almost completely necessary to make the call. If it is a low power setup you will not need to shrink as much as with more power. Also your current box size is needed to know how much to cut off as well as the freq you are shooting for. Get these figures back to us and I can give you my input on what to do.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

I was mainly looking for how to do it myself .. but currently its an hdc3 18 in roughly 5.75 cubes with 97.5 sqin port at 36hz on an aq2200d at 1 ohm ... thinking about strapping a second 2200d at 4ohm to start ..then 1ohm strapped at some point.. was planning on building a new box at 5 cubes with 2 6" psp aeros for the single 2200d but trying to shrink the box as much as possible lol

DFAC

Beating Down The Block

Not possible hence trying to stuff more power down its throat trying to shrink the box lol

DFAC

Beating Down The Block

that aq doesn't need a box smaller than what you've already got it in.

c'mon now, if i was shooting an 8 year old, it wouldnt be MY 8 year old.

i recently got a Pyle PL1590BL and i was building an enclosure for it tuned to 25 hz. i didn't have any tools to cut a circle so i hit it with a big hammer.

2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Sedan

Build in Progress

Archived