Sonic Electronix

difference between sq and spl

I'm not talking about real SQ vehicles. I'm talking about those people who don't like the way their system came out or aren't satisfied with their numbers so they claim their build as SQ.

Well in that case, I couldn't agree more.

know what you want out of your system, take pride in your work ... Seek help if you need it. SMD is a great place for that ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

I don't want to throw out names but the 2 12s I had flexed the roof and wiggled the steering wheel but not loud at 100 ft. 1500@1ohm

My old image dynamic idq 12s 2 of them @2ohms 750 watts right using same amp. The idq's didn't flex roof but was loud to the ear and sounded loud and clear at 100ft. Im pretty sure in idq's where louder on half the power.

SQ = man thats sounds great, so clean and it sounds like we are at a live show.

SPL = holy fu*k, let me out, I cant breath

2012 F250 Lariat 6.7, lifted on 22's and 35's

4 DSS Ethos 18's walled tuned low

2 Ampere Audio 7500.1's, Ampere 125.4

Rockford Pro Audio front stage

9 batteries, Mechman Elite 370 alt

Team DSS, Team Ampere Audio

2014 Meca Mod 3 TN State champ / 3rd place Mod 3 World Finals

32d73d87-e373-4a49-8914-d25decfa6dcc_zps

SPL is a measurement. One that is easily tracked and accounted for.

SQ is subjective. Impossible to measure as it is something different for everyone.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I don't want to throw out names but the 2 12s I had flexed the roof and wiggled the steering wheel but not loud at 100 ft. 1500@1ohm

My old image dynamic idq 12s 2 of them @2ohms 750 watts right using same amp. The idq's didn't flex roof but was loud to the ear and sounded loud and clear at 100ft. Im pretty sure in idq's where louder on half the power.

^explain this

SQ is subjective. Impossible to measure as it is something different for everyone.

Ah yes ... The common "Go to" word.

Yes there is a way to measure Sound Quality ... Remember what I said here

If you know what you are doing and have the money to spend on it ...

know what you want out of your system, take pride in your work ... Seek help if you need it. SMD is a great place for that ...

This is some info I keep stashed for when I need it ...

There are many ways to measure sound quality. Many measurements have been created to specifically measure and rate the quality of sound. Here are a few of the most common types of measurements used for sound quality.

THD

THD stands for Total Harmonic Distortion. It is a measurement taken to view the total amount of distortion from the original audio signal at playback. Most quality components have less than 1% distortion rate, loudspeakers can have 1 to 5% distortion rate and bass subwoofers can produce the most distortion sometimes approaching 10%. However, human ears can't differentiate distortion at very low bass levels.

Output Power

Output power is the maximum energy per channel, usually shown as Watts. Most speakers or receivers show the amount of watts that they have. There are two measurements peak and RMS. Peak watts is usually what is shown on advertisements, it is usually the maximum amount of energy that a speaker or receiver can give off for a very short period of time. RMS stands for Root Means Square and is a more appropriate way to determine power over a longer period of time.

Frequency Response

Frequency Response is an important way to determine the quality of sound. Most human ears can hear frequency (sound) that is from about 20 HZ to about 20K HZ. Bass forms the lower parts of the Frequency response spectrum. Most people consider bass frequencies, those frequencies below 310 HZ. Bass frequencies include percussion and explosions from movie DVD's. Midrange frequencies are those frequencies that range from about 310 HZ to about 12K HZ. These frequencies include dialogue and most of the human voice, piano, guitar and other instruments. High frequencies are at the top of the frequency response spectrum. They are usually from 12K to about 20K or higher. They include cymbals, high notes from the human voice, and some string instruments.

Signal to Noise Ratio

Signal to noise ratio is the ratio of quality sound to noise. This measurement is used to measure many devices including receivers, CD players, DVD players, etc. Usually the higher the decibel (Db), he better the quality of sound. For instance, a signal to noise ratio of 90 or 100 decibels is considered high fidelity. Most electronics are usually 80 decibels or over which is great for many discerning human ears.

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

You can throw out amplifier and speaker measurements all day long. And while that may OR may not help YOUR overall level of SQ, it does not measure to everyone else. What you hear as distortion, others might hear as warmth. What you might hear as slew rate, others hear as transient. So SQ is subjective because it is and will always be up to the persons ear. You can't make someone hear what they can't hear. You can't put a measurement on it. You can't throw it on an RTA and say "this is the standard"

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

I hate hearing SQ is like being at a live show, A lot of bands sound like crap live. Plus live shows are usually more representative of spl vehicles anyway. I don't remember sitting in a sq vehicle and having my ears ringing afterwards like they do at live shows.

That being said, Sq is about putting the singer in the center of the "stage" and giving the impression that all the music is coming from infront of you at around eye level including bass. Plus SQ is about the ability to reproduce the original recording as accuratly as possible.

plus what kingsuv said

Archived