Second Skin Audio

Wood Glue for enclosures

FrontierGello

gorilla glue and liquid nails dont provide as good a bond as the titebond. They provide a surface bond and thats it.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Titebond 3 for me...

It has a high strength chemical bond to the wood, and it is one of the most water resistant wood glues. Sure a speaker box is not to get wet, however everybodys trunk is not 100% water tight from a leaky trunk gasket to a rust hole, or the floor vents not properly functioning.

Ive used Elmers woodglue max, and gorilla wood glue in the past, and had both fail on me. Never had Titebond 3 fail yet, and I build a lot of boxes.

Things like liquid nails never gives a full cure, it is somewhat rubbery even once fully dried, it doesnt soak into the wood nor does it chemically bond the 2 layers of the wood together. Its pretty much like using a caulk or silicon to put your box together. Weak joints.

If you dont want to splurge the extra money on Titebond 3, then get 2, but it has a slightly weaker sheer strength and is only type1 water resistant like elmers wood glue max and gorilla wood glue. Titebond3 is Type 2 water resistant or technically waterproof once fully cured. Also once fully cured that glue joint will be stronger then the wood itself, so if you tried to break the joint, the wood will fail before the glue joint.

Edit: Also want to add that titebond3 has a slightly longer open time, so if your gluing something that is tedious or lots of steps, it gives you that extra time for the glue starts to setup.

brian you got anything cheap and junky you made iwth titebond 3 to show these guys how much stronger the edge jooints are compared to anything else. I know when Ive destroyed a box made by tite bond 3 it wasnt the seams that gave way it had to be hammered and ripped the seams stayed togheter

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Hmm, havent had any problems with any of my Liquid Nails builds... then again, with screws, cross bracing, and the LN, I suppose if anything failed, it would be from a significant explosion or something similar. I'll give TB2 a try, and see how I like it. N8Ball and AudioFanaticz, I've noticed that, LN does stay rubbery if you lay it on too thick, forming a bit of a puddle or whatever. But, when rubbed or spread out to a thin film, as most adhesives should be, it hardens nicely, and sands well.

I have used a TON of brands in my time. Elmer's Pro Bond is the only one I use in my shop.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Another vote for TB3. None of the other glues have held like TB has. Even used it for cabinets and my work bench. It was recommended to me and I have tested different applications. Even standing on joints glued. The joint has yet to come apart and I am not light,200+ lol. I have seen guys on here use nothing but Titebond no screws and the box is still together. With some of the power these systems have and the pounding the boxes take should say something about it.

I use titebond II, never had an issue, and I have taken boxes apart I built with it and the MDF fails long before the glue does.

Retired from SPL again....

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 Champion 151.8db

2016 IASCA Truck/Trunk 2 World Record Holder

Archived