Second Skin Audio

Check out my box design, need advice

-X-RaTeD-

This is my first sketch-up so I realize it's not even close to scale, but hope you get the idea for what I am trying to achieve. I originally wanted an 18" in the trunk of my car, but looking at the sketch I made, it would be a tight fit, probably impossible depending on the port width that I'd need. I may end up with a 15". If I could fit an 18", then I'm looking at the Obsidian 18 D2 to hold me over until the SD X series pre-order. Enclosure recommendations for the 18 D2 are ~ 4.5 to 6 ft^3 @ 28 to 32 Hz. Also looking at the SSX 18 which has their ported enclosure recommendations as ~4.0 ft^3 @31Hz, 50 sq.in port, 21.5" long. I don't know what the enclosure specs will be for whenever the X-18 is released, but I want to use the same box. If I can't fit an 18" then I'll go with a 15". I don't really care about volume, I want to hit way down low, so I want the most amount of cone area that will sound good in the space that I have available.

Anyways, I want port towards the front of the car, sub facing up. Car has a ski pass through that I want the port to fire through, and want the sub facing up to fire through the vented rear shelf of my car where I removed the stock "woofer" deck enclosures. I'd like the box to be tuned at 32Hz, and I have 33" x 20" x 16" to work with. Does this idea sound/look good, or does anyone have any other ideas? Also, I realize the port may not need to be long enough to "L" inside the box since it's essentially two internal ports(?), but can someone tell me how long that piece of wood needs to be for a 32Hz tune? Having a hard time with Torres calculator because of the port. Thanks in advance.

boxdimensions_zps9f79bdcf.png

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

Am I doing this right?

torres_zps33b4e46e.png

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

Is this better? I guess what confuses me is that there are two airways at 3" W, would it be the same as a single 6"W slot port of the same height and length? How much port area per foot do I need? Sorry about the noobish questions.

torres3_zps83413944.png

~Henry David Thoreau

you need to up the port area per foot, run minimum of 4.5cubes after displacements, and if your running the sub up a 2nd baffle would be a good idea too...

if your limited to the dimensions you have listed as maxes for h x w x d then you should consider using aeroports...

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

This is my first sketch-up so I realize it's not even close to scale, but hope you get the idea for what I am trying to achieve. I originally wanted an 18" in the trunk of my car, but looking at the sketch I made, it would be a tight fit, probably impossible depending on the port width that I'd need. I may end up with a 15". If I could fit an 18", then I'm looking at the Obsidian 18 D2 to hold me over until the SD X series pre-order. Enclosure recommendations for the 18 D2 are ~ 4.5 to 6 ft^3 @ 28 to 32 Hz. Also looking at the SSX 18 which has their ported enclosure recommendations as ~4.0 ft^3 @31Hz, 50 sq.in port, 21.5" long. I don't know what the enclosure specs will be for whenever the X-18 is released, but I want to use the same box. If I can't fit an 18" then I'll go with a 15". I don't really care about volume, I want to hit way down low, so I want the most amount of cone area that will sound good in the space that I have available.

Anyways, I want port towards the front of the car, sub facing up. Car has a ski pass through that I want the port to fire through, and want the sub facing up to fire through the vented rear shelf of my car where I removed the stock "woofer" deck enclosures. I'd like the box to be tuned at 32Hz, and I have 33" x 20" x 16" to work with. Does this idea sound/look good, or does anyone have any other ideas? Also, I realize the port may not need to be long enough to "L" inside the box since it's essentially two internal ports(?), but can someone tell me how long that piece of wood needs to be for a 32Hz tune? Having a hard time with Torres calculator because of the port. Thanks in advance.

boxdimensions_zps9f79bdcf.png

now from what I am getting from this sketch is that you want 2 3" ports inside the enclosure that meetup in the middle to make a single port?....if this is the case your not going to able to use Torres to get accurate tuning and port dimensions...

maybe somebody else can help you get a design that will work, to be honest your going to struggle to get 4.5cubes out of the dimensions you gave and get it tuned to where you want 32hz

now you could possibly do 4cubes and run the SSX 18 @31hz

http://www.stevemead...cherokee-build/

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDE-hd148bt

Alpine PKG-RSE2

PRV Audio (4) 6MB200 front/rear doors

PRV Audio (4) TW350Ti dash/rear doors

Kicker KX350.4

Obsidian Audio (1) 18 D4 v2

revamp (2) Stereo Integrity HT 18d2
DC Audio 1.2k
5.25ft^3 tuned @34hz

revamp Infinite Baffle Cpillar

AudioTechnix 60mil deadener
KnuKonceptz & SkyHigh wire (complete setup)

stroupe79.jpg

If there is only going to be one sub, just use one port. You will not have to worry about the box being symmetrical.

If you use the 15", you will want at least 45-50 sqin of port, and at least 75-80 sqin for the 18".

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

you dont have enough port area 13 - 16. you are 10.64in^2

Oh I see, thanks.

now from what I am getting from this sketch is that you want 2 3" ports inside the enclosure that meetup in the middle to make a single port?....if this is the case your not going to able to use Torres to get accurate tuning and port dimensions...

maybe somebody else can help you get a design that will work, to be honest your going to struggle to get 4.5cubes out of the dimensions you gave and get it tuned to where you want 32hz

now you could possibly do 4cubes and run the SSX 18 @31hz

Yes that's what I was envisioning. It doesn't have to be like that, open to ideas. I'll see what I can come up with using an aeroport instead.

If there is only going to be one sub, just use one port. You will not have to worry about the box being symmetrical.

If you use the 15", you will want at least 45-50 sqin of port, and at least 75-80 sqin for the 18".

Thanks, I don't know why I just thought symmetrical would be better.

OP no subs up in trunk cars, if you have 16.5 you can do a 15" firing either front or back you can have the port in the baffle or to the side.

Just curious why not? I have more than 16.5, but just figured 16 would be the max to leave room for excursion. I thought about a front slanted baffle, but this is my first box so wanted to keep it simple. Thanks for the ideas, open to them all.

~Henry David Thoreau

Archived