Second Skin Audio

Check out my box design, need advice

-X-RaTeD-

How about this, same box dimensions, sub up, aero port facing the ski pass through

torres4_zpsefc7dcca.png

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

OP no subs up in trunk cars, if you have 16.5 you can do a 15" firing either front or back you can have the port in the baffle or to the side.

Just curious why not? I have more than 16.5, but just figured 16 would be the max to leave room for excursion. I thought about a front slanted baffle, but this is my first box so wanted to keep it simple. Thanks for the ideas, open to them all.

I recommend doing some reading and look for threads in which subs up were used, what was the outcome and what happened when the box was rebuilt no subs up.

OP no subs up in trunk cars, if you have 16.5 you can do a 15" firing either front or back you can have the port in the baffle or to the side.

Just curious why not? I have more than 16.5, but just figured 16 would be the max to leave room for excursion. I thought about a front slanted baffle, but this is my first box so wanted to keep it simple. Thanks for the ideas, open to them all.

I recommend doing some reading and look for threads in which subs up were used, what was the outcome and what happened when the box was rebuilt no subs up.

Alright, I'll search around

When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest.
~Henry David Thoreau

Well after messing with the calculator and researching, I think I'll just try it in a sealed box, angled to fit, facing back, 4.19 ft^3 after displacement.

~Henry David Thoreau

If I were you, it's use a 15" sub rather than an 18". You'll have the proper room to do a ported box that way. I know the idea of an 18" in a trunk is exciting, but keep it simple and make sure it's going to perform. Trying to get a bigass 18 in there is going to sacrifice a lot. I believe you'd be much happier with a regular ported 15" than a sealed and crammed 18". This is JUST my opinion however, and Im truly trying to help you out. I am BIG into box design and getting aabsolute most out of what you have. You won't get the most out of sealed 18 in a trunk, but the 15" can absolutely KILL in the right enclosure.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

If I were you, it's use a 15" sub rather than an 18". You'll have the proper room to do a ported box that way. I know the idea of an 18" in a trunk is exciting, but keep it simple and make sure it's going to perform. Trying to get a bigass 18 in there is going to sacrifice a lot. I believe you'd be much happier with a regular ported 15" than a sealed and crammed 18". This is JUST my opinion however, and Im truly trying to help you out. I am BIG into box design and getting aabsolute most out of what you have. You won't get the most out of sealed 18 in a trunk, but the 15" can absolutely KILL in the right enclosure.

Thanks Sierra. Man, there is so much info out there. As Joe X advised, I spent the last day just digging deeper and deeper and damn, information overload Suicide.gif

I'm work in computer electronics and networking, I can get the electronics part of this pretty simple, but the acousitcs is what gets me. I defer to the experts. I'm just going to ask some straight forward questions based on what I want since about everything that I search for, I can find information pointing towards why this way is better than that way, and then find someone else that will say the complete opposite both with proof, and exceptions to the rules for a plethora of different peoples setups. I've read that sealed will go lower than ported, but ported will be louder around it's tunned frequency.

I can't find the site now, but I found a website that had these charts of db/frequency measurements comparing sealed to ported, the sealed box had a pretty consistent gradual fall off from about 45Hz down, while the ported box fell off pretty quick after it's tuned frequency in comparrison to the sealed enclosure. In the end, at around and below 24Hz, the sealed enclosure was louder. It seemed to make sense, but then I read how most prefer ports for various reasons, tuneability, "boominess", etc. If I tune a ported box for a 15" around 32Hz,, I expect it to be louder at 32Hz than a sealed box, but would it play at 50Hz quieter than a sealed 18"? How about 20Hz? Also read about people claiming you can damage your spiders playing below a ported boxes tuned frequency, but you dont' have to worry about that with a sealed box.

I listen to dubstep, decaf, old school hip-hop, and I love the demonic sound of slowed down rap. I love those low resonating beats that you feel down in your thighs, like the feeling of being inside an old wooden house and a loaded CSX locomotive rolls by it without the air horns. It's not "loud", but you no doubt hear and feel it's ground-shaking presense. I'm waiting for the Sundown X series because of the crazy excursion those bad boys have, I'm sure they'd pound out what I like to hear/feel. I prefer audible subsonic lows over mid bass SPL.. I wont be going to any SPL comps. Another example, The Opus Dei Bass Test sounds so awesome in my Razar headphones, but on the 12" alpine in my car, it just moves tons air with no sound on those subsonic sweeps. I want it audible in my whip below 30Hz just like my headphones. Is this reasonable, or am I making myself sound like a noob? lol.

Now that I've given more info as to what I'm trying to accomplish, would you still reccomend the ported 15" over sealed 18"? I was dead set on ported until researching, now I am not sure.

Appreciate the help bro, sorry about the lengthy post.

~Henry David Thoreau

Well, I guess I will be buying an 18" and put it in a sealed box, and buy a 15" and build a ported box for it, and will keep whatever one that I like best.

~Henry David Thoreau

Archived