back battery not getting charged? im stumpted!

alright so a few weeks ago my alt took a poop, no worries i had excessive amperage already building my alt. Shows up today and i install it no issues at all. Start the truck and start metering everything under the hood and it all checked out so i know the alt is working(woot woot :nuts: ) I check my back battery and its only reading 12.8 which i assume is where its resting at. I pulled the charged line and got a reading of 0v. I checked the fuse at the front battery, alt, and before the second battery the only 3 additional fuses i have and they are good. I also checked the run of wire not breaks or anything. Grounds are 2 runs of 1/0 knu cca about 2.5 feet long each bolted to the frame, painted and bedlined over i checked and they are as strong as the day i installed them. Tomorrow after work i plan on pulling the front battery and putting the back battery in the front. I know for a fact the back battery is good because it will take a charge from my charger and i played it full tilt off the back battery alone for a 2.5 mile drive. Any ideas?? im thinking dead cell in the front battery?

04 dodge dakota ext cab 4x4

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

I know for a fact the back battery is good because it will take a charge from my charger and i played it full tilt off the back battery alone for a 2.5 mile drive

Maybe this is what killed the battery? xD I know my multimeter sometimes one of the plugs will come out and not give me a reading, make sure the meter itself has the plugs plugged all the way in.

ninja.gif Build in progress ninja.gif

The back battery is alright I'm fairly certain it's the front. I'm going to pull the batteries tonight after work and do some testing ill report back later

excessive amperage 300 amp alt with MONSTER stud =)sundown z v3 15 in a 4th order on aq2200sundown 100.4 2 way active...2 Prv audio 6mb200 & 2 re XXX tweetersdeka intimidatorkenwood x396big 3 1/0 knu wire back to deka intimidator

what do they read on a meter seperately

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Dafuq? That's some odd shit. Wonder if there's something wrong with the run.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Check the voltages at all fuse points and junctions starting from the front of the car to the back of the car. Wherever the voltage first drops off, that's where the issue will lie.

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

I feel like a broken record lol. Check the resistance in your fuses to make sure one isn't blown. Sometimes they have a hairline break that will not necessarily show up when you look at them and testing the fuse by measuring continuity is a great way to ensure the fuse is either complete or broken.

Also try to just check the resistance from the negative terminal of your rear batt to the frame and make sure it reads continuity. If it doesn't then something is wrong with your ground. Somewhere somehow something is not making the full and complete circuit and it will be a simple fix im sure.

Oh and do this. Take the fuse block you have and measure voltage on both sides. Both the voltage on where it comes off the battery to the fuse and the voltage on where it goes from the fuse to the rear battery. You didn't mention it so do you have 2 fuses, one on each side on that single positive run going to the rear battery? Do this while the car is running so you can tell voltage differences. If you find the voltage before going into the fuse block is 14.x volts then the wire going to that point is good. Now measure voltage as it leaves that fuse and see if its still 14.x. If it isnt then that fuse/fusebox is the problem. If it does then continue following down to the rear fuse (if you have one) and do the same thing. Basically keep testing the voltage at all junctions on that positive run.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

Ok thanks for the in depth post man! I really appreciate it, ran late at wok and ran out of sunlight ill be back testing first thing in the morning

what do they read on a meter seperately

If I remember correctly from yesterday front was 12.63 and back was 12.8 but the truck was on so that doesn't really count... Like I said I'll be back at it tomorrow and post up

Archived