Second Skin Audio

let's talk about warm woofers

knubs

There are a couple things, coils get hot for more reason than just clipping, playing below tuning will do it too. Also you could be smelling excess glue rather than a hot voice coil.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

^This after a couple songs full tilt my xls will start to get stinky but the cap will still be cool to the touch...

how do they get stinky and stay cool? isn't the smell from burning voice coil glue? if so how would the dustcap stay cool?

When a voice coil gets hot you aren't smelling glue, you are smelling voice coil. New subs sometimes have excess glue that you smell when you play them, but that is not the same as a hot voice coil smell.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Tune your vehicle with the vehicle running.

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

well i've definitely been playing below the box tuning. and i guess it's a good time to mention my subsonic filter is set to 27hz with a cc1, and that should be a little above half an octave lower than my box tuning.

all I play is decaf and i dont know why my woofers are screaming in mercy. I mean im probably only playing 10hz under tuning at times.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Tune your vehicle with the vehicle running.

I thought it was supposed to be off to compensate for voltage drop?

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I am saying that they do get hot but the heat doesnt transfer to the dust cap is all. Double rms and the occasional fun below tuning will do that lol

Its good that you tuned with the car off, but how do you know you are only dropping to 13.3v? If you have an inaccurate volt meter that could also be part of the problem, that you are dropping lower and begin to clip without knowing it.

Edit: playing below tuning will do it as easily as anything else, try playing some songs in the mid 40s and see if it still gets hot

Team NorthWestSPL

Skippy answered this successfully I think. I believe playing too much under your enclosure's tuning is probably the culprit here. I also don't think you're clipping your sub. Decafs stuff is pretty damn low and if you're tuned at 35(or possibly higher) below box tuning could be your issue.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

i have 2 stinger voltage meters installed and they are both calibrated (checked with a dmm) and are reading the same.

and apparently playing below your tuning is a bigger deal than i thought. i never realized that it was actually that bad. i will try pounding it with something in the 40hz range to check it.

after reading all this it probably is from playing too low. i knew i should have tuned to 30hz! i wish i would have realized the consequences of tuning that high. this is over all disappointing though. i listen to all kinds of music, but i need a different tuning for every genre. i wish there was a way to make this thing sound good and work well with all music

Archived