Sonic Electronix

Removing Airbag on off switch from chevy truck?

Hello, well new here, hoping to get a little help and maybe help a little as well.

My question is though in my 00 Silverado, I have to air bag on and off switch, and i noticed when i went to go pull it out there is a plastic pin/clip holding the harness in place. kinda like a lock of sorts. so could i cut that and pull the switch out then put it back in place afterwords. I have a mod i need to do to another part right around that switch and cannot remove it with out that switch being removed.

Im kind of scared that if i remove or put it back in it might make the airbags go off, or not work anymore at all.

any advice would help, expecially if someone has done this before already. Thanks.

That is definetely something i would go to a mechanic about. Im assuming your truck is a LT model because mine is the same year, and has that switch also. Maybe even look up how to replace it online and see what happens when you disconnect it.! GL

my 98 has it and the switch is in my glove box. not hooked up.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

• 2 weeks later...

That clip (lock) is a safety lock built into the harness to keep it from coming unplugged while driving. It is easily removed with a flat head and in most cases can be re-used. The only thing that might happen if you permanently remove the switch is the airbag light might come on due to the circuit being broken. But it can be removed and re-installed with little ease.

For future reference:

DO NOT just pull off the safty clip and unplug!!!

It is there for a reason, so it dont get pulled off!!

When dealing with airbags, airbag sensors, or even plugs you should follow a few simple steps.

1- pull the srs/airbag fuse out of the fuse panel.

2- disconnect the battery ground(s).

3- let the vehicle sit for at least 15 minutes after doing the above 2 steps prior to doing any work with the srs/airbag system.

With the system being hot and above steps not taken, accidental discharge could happen.

if your goal was to eliminate the switch 100% you can then put the fuse back in and connect your battery and drive the car as normal, but you will end up with a error light lit up on your dash, when this light is lit your airbag system will not work or deploy if you are in an accident since when it is illuminated it is to let the user know the system has something wrong and goes into a protect mode.

For future reference:

DO NOT just pull off the safty clip and unplug!!!

It is there for a reason, so it dont get pulled off!!

When dealing with airbags, airbag sensors, or even plugs you should follow a few simple steps.

1- pull the srs/airbag fuse out of the fuse panel.

2- disconnect the battery ground(s).

3- let the vehicle sit for at least 15 minutes after doing the above 2 steps prior to doing any work with the srs/airbag system.

With the system being hot and above steps not taken, accidental discharge could happen.

if your goal was to eliminate the switch 100% you can then put the fuse back in and connect your battery and drive the car as normal, but you will end up with a error light lit up on your dash, when this light is lit your airbag system will not work or deploy if you are in an accident since when it is illuminated it is to let the user know the system has something wrong and goes into a protect mode.

Thankfully someone gave some good advice, Unplugging ANYTHING from a air bag system CAN set it off. (Unless above steps are taken.) Will it always set it off? No. But it only takes one time, and trust me the last thing you want is to have a air bag deploying inches from your face, or someone elses.

Archived