How to avoid blowing my components?

P4killer_

Got everything installed and running finally.

Sundown SA6.5cs 125w per side rms

Autotek MM 75.4 bridged at 4ohms per channel = 2 x 250w rms

I haven't picked up subs yet so this is the only amp in the car for the moment. so the voltage is def. good. ie:. 14.4 ie:. the amp has plenty of juice to put out that 250w per channel... I set the gains with a dd1 using the -5db track "for more sq"

I turned the gains down a bit lower than the distortion point..

My question is: How do I avoid blowing the speakers? Ive never blown a set of components before, but then again ive never potentially overpowered a set this grossly.. you cant really tell like you can with subs.. etc and im terrible at hearing the distortion.. i mean with tones, sure you can hear the point at which distortion and or clipping happens.. but on music its difficult to discern really loud clarity from potential distortion.. unless its reeeeeally bad. then obviously it sounds like crap

but just thinking out loud here. Im guessing their high crossed at somewhere around 150hz.. i mean the xovers are slopes irrc so its not exactly a linear dial.. meaning halfway between 10hz and 150hz is not exactly 80hz..

ill take a couple pix in a moment.

edit: spelling sucks and celtics are getting housed...

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC

Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of -

DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s

Use the 0db tone. -5 is too much for highs IMO

Wattage doesn't blow speakers. Distortion does. You said you used your DD-1 and set your amp. You are good to go.

No. Just. No.

Im with the tuning your tweeters with a 0db track. I tuned my entire system with a -5db track at both frequencies just because I knew the eq was not truly flattened out at the time and I only ended up blowing one tweeter. The tweeters are more sensitive to overpowering than your mids as there is less of a voice coil on them to try and dissipate heat with. A good test for knowing for sure that you have too much power going to your tweeters is to listen to a song with a good amount of treble, like songs with tons of cymbal strikes. If you can hear the strike but it sounds like a ssssss noise instead of a clear strike then you have it getting too much power. Its hard to explain it but you can hear how unnatural the high frequencies are when you overpower tweeters. The mids on mine are still at -5db and when I put my carputer in I am going to -10db for the mids and -10db for my sub as well. I have never blown a mid other than the stock one on my truck but that one was having weird problems on the stock stereo when I bought it so I had no proof that it was me since it did that right off the lot.

Oh and edit, with tweeters make sure you have a good x-over for them to be set at. If you run them at too low of a frequency then you will risk burning them out or seizing the diaphragm fast.

2004 GMC Envoy1 XS power S3400 batt under the hood and 4 XS Power D3100's battery installed in the rear by the amps0 gauge power wire from front to backAlpine iva-w205 touchscreen dvd/cd/mp3/ipod/am/fm/gps headunitSundown Audio SAX-200.4 amp for my mids and highs8 gauge speaker wire from amp to woofer270 amp Mechman AltRockford Fosgate T1652-s component speakersRockford Fosgate 3Sixty.2 sound processorRca's from Rockford Fosgate and Monster Cable14 gauge speaker wire for the mids and highs1 18" Ascendant Audio SMD Dual 1 ohm with custom Black & Blue carbon fiber and hand signed dustcapBox: 5.66 cubic feet net volume box tuned to 30.13Hz with 1.5" wide wooden dowels and 1.5" thick baffle1 DC Audio 5.0k amp wired to .5 ohms nominal with an imp rise of 1.35 ohms for the single AA SMD 18"Future Vision 8000k 50w bi-xenon projector HID's with 4300k 35w fog lightsLink to my build: Buildupdates/progress

IMAG0674_zps30efc300.jpg

thats what my gains look like... but ill look into that 0db track.. the manual said tracks 2 and 4.. ill have to look and see which one is the 0db one..

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

dont turn anything over 60 percent

lol gee thanks. I was thinking of just using the sqrt dmm method and setting to 150w sqrt(150x4) = 24.5v

and ric ur old avy wass waaay better

Setup:

2010 Hyundai Elantra

Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000

I am in the process right now of replacing all my speakers, a pair of 6.5" and a pair of 5.25" , both my fronts and rear right hand side speakers are the same as yours...each having fully blown out tweeters. My mishap was due to moisture (water) that got into my eq. all because of a bad seal in my trunk area that leaked in and made a short inside the housing. I'd say whatever high or low piched distortion caused by the short killed both tweeters.

1974 VW Beetle

2- JL Audio 10w08 subs in ported fiberglass enclosure

Hifonics ZRXLP 6.5C (fronts)

Hifonics HRC 5.2C (rears)

500w Crunch powerzone amp (subs)

600w Crunch powerone amp (components)

3 farad power acoustics cap.

head unit- Planet Audio P385UA

Boss eq 1208

Archived