My aquarium was in desperate need of a redo, $100 later and about an hour of my day this is what I came up with.

Pretty happy with it, the fish seem to be as well.

It's a 27gallon cube.

Depending on your filtration, you should look into adding some frog bit.
I'm way over filtering this tank, I'm running a huge canister filter with a ton of biological media in it.

Gives me peace of mind.

Rule of thumb for me is if need a filter that will cycle the tank 5-10 times an hour
My filter is rated for 370 gph.

The amount of media it holds is what I like about it.

I ran a fluval 304 on it for a couple years and hand constant issues with that piece of junk, switched to the one I have now and not a single problem at all in well over a year.

Holds way more media than the 304 as well.

This is what I'm running in case you wanted to know.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF400UV-4-Stage-Canister-Filter/dp/B004GJ43EK

Edited by Broke_Audio_Addict

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

another one...

12688178_989403707821028_308564808397772

No diesel stack, no stretched tires on oversized rims... I would rather drop than lift, but this one was too clean not to show.

I would be happy either way. I love that Era of GM trucks. And I hate the whole oversized rims stretched tires and diesel stacks thing people are doing these days.

It's like rubbing your wiener up against a sheep.

My aquarium was in desperate need of a redo, $100 later and about an hour of my day this is what I came up with.

Pretty happy with it, the fish seem to be as well.

It's a 27gallon cube.

Depending on your filtration, you should look into adding some frog bit.
I'm way over filtering this tank, I'm running a huge canister filter with a ton of biological media in it.

Gives me peace of mind.

Rule of thumb for me is if need a filter that will cycle the tank 5-10 times an hour
My filter is rated for 370 gph.

The amount of media it holds is what I like about it.

I ran a fluval 304 on it for a couple years and hand constant issues with that piece of junk, switched to the one I have now and not a single problem at all in well over a year.

Holds way more media than the 304 as well.

This is what I'm running in case you wanted to know.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-CF400UV-4-Stage-Canister-Filter/dp/B004GJ43EK

One thing that can be dangerous is UV.

If you cycle the water though the UV filter too fast it does absoulitly nothing.

If you cycle the water though the UV filter too slow it kills the beneficial bacteria.

For best UV results it is best to have them running off a separate hose from the main filter so you can control the GPH going to the UV filter.

Y-splitting it off the main pump line with an adjustable valve works fine to do this.

Typically a 9watt UV sterilizer is good for up to a 125 gallon tank, and capable of handling 100-200gph but more realistically a max of 187.5gph with a slight variance depending on water temp, the uv sterilizer design, sunlight, fish load, etc. Which is why 200gph for a 9watt uv bulb may be ok in some scenarios.

For a level 1 UV sterilization you want to turn over your entire pond/tank water 1.5 times per hour.

Now Im not sure if you see where Im going with this or not yet, but you have a 27gallon tank you said.

So you want to only put about 40.5 gph through the actual UV filter going by the actual size of your 27gallon tank, and your doing 370gph which would be completely fine for a tank 4-5 times larger than yours.

With that being said your cycling your tanks water almost 14 times per hour and that UV is killing so much beneficial bacteria off due to how small your tank is.

For actual filters (not counting the UV filters) over filtration excessive media etc is never bad or as critical like UV as long as your never exceeding the filters gph.

But one thing to look out for with filters is a lot of times the rating they put on the box "for example for tanks up to 125 gallons" is not always 100% true.

Sometimes these ratings do not include the fish count (how many fish you have).

Sure a empty tank with no fish it may handle 125 gallons fine, but if you drop 10 fish in the tank it may struggle rather hard to keep the water quality.

This usually holds true to your cheaper brand filters kind of like how boss amps do 5000 watts...

I have no idea if the filter you have is a good brand or not.

I dont follow the fish tank stuff because I do ponds, but things like UV for a fish tank is the same but at a smaller scale.

This is stuff I learned the hard way dealing with ponds rebuild after rebuild, where you think more UV and more GPH is what you need, but you find out your 7000gph pump is literately just pushing dirt through your media without filtering it.