Do we even need high end decks anymore?

I'm gonna run my iPhone to my EPX2 via pin out to input b. Input a is being used by my alpine 7897 phantom face

I just don't see how running signal (mobile device) through an active device ( radio) and then to another active device ( processor) is beneficial. The cleanest path between two points has minimal processing. Running iPhones into a radio does something to the signal b4 it gets to the processor. I want the processor doing all the work thus I'm bypassing the radio. And since my epx2 had the RDAT I get the best of both worlds in my application

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

Pioneer AVH 8500 + HTC EVO 4G LTE + ARLIBERATOR! 7 inch screen, DVD, full mirroring and touch control of my phone, music, Internet, email, Facebook, GPS navigation, angry birds, etc, etc. I can live with that!

Several systems, several vehicles. Always changing!

DCSig_zpsgm88292n.jpg

2013 MECA State Champion (trunk 1)

2014 MECA State Champion (mod 4)

2014 MECA state Champion (Park and Pound 4)

2014 DBDRAG 6th place North America Finals (SS1-2)

2014 BASS RACE 6th place North America Finals (139.9)

It would be hard to give up all my cd's though 75% of the time I do use the ipod. If I was doing a tablet I would go hdmi to rca and not use the 3.5. There is also the question of output voltage. I don't know that much about it but can see a benefit of 4 volts from a HU rca's rather than .35 ish from a tablet. Someone with expertise in this please chime in.

With FLAC. files is there any difference in between them and cd's? The need for a deck may be unnecessary. Need some experts to chime in.

2005 Ford Focus zx4

AMT's and Planars

18" Infinite baffle

• 2 weeks later...

I think the question really is do you want features vs. sound quality. Most of the sources people mention are very feature heavy but have low voltage and very bad DACs in them so they will suffer in SQ. Remember most of tablets and IPODs were really designed to use a head phone out so SQ was certainly not a priority. If you have ever been in a system and done an A/b comparison of decks, you can hear the difference between head units so I am sure you would certainly hear the difference going to a tablet or iphone vs a quality head unit. There are still a lot of home audio guys that wont touch ipods because of the Sq difference and you even see home audio preamps now that will bypass the internal DAC of an ipod and use a quality one. For the average guy on the street, we may not ever notice the sound difference, but just be aware it certainly proven to be there. There was a super high end shop here locally that let you hear a system using an IPOD then they flip back to CD source. Mind you this was a 50k home system, but you could hear the drop off and change when they went to IPOD. You could really hear the change on the highs because they werent as crisp and seemed muted compared the CD.

Im an old school head unit guy. I give up BT and being able to stream audio so I can have a better sounding deck. I run my decks through a processor so I can get stuff like T/A and Xovers. I have an IPOD and use it, but if I really want to hear my music, I pull out the disc. Like I said, a regual guy with a regual non comp system will probably never notice the difference.

The main reason people go from CD to Ipod (or something similar) is because the fear of CD skipping during SPL competitions ...

Seen it many times ...

Personally, if you can find a headunit (like the kenwood 9980 or the pioneer 99rs) to take care of everything, then no need for processors ...

Processors come in very handy when you have these newer cars like my wife's 2013 Chevy Cruz that you can not remove the headuint and go aftermarket ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

exactly like I was saying... HU processing FTW!!!

The main reason people go from CD to Ipod (or something similar) is because the fear of CD skipping during SPL competitions ...
Seen it many times ...

Personally, if you can find a headunit (like the kenwood 9980 or the pioneer 99rs) to take care of everything, then no need for processors ...
Processors come in very handy when you have these newer cars like my wife's 2013 Chevy Cruz that you can not remove the headuint and go aftermarket ...

Pioneer Premier P880PRS ll Front Stage: US Acoustics 4060 - Random speakers currently ll Sub Stage: Crescendo BC3500D - 15" Xcon sealed @ 3.28 cubes ll Electrical: - Kinetik HC1800(front) NEW***DieHard P-2(rear)

beaker- I know this sounds like a lot of anime bullshit, but it is true.

I seen cableguy post, so I came here to learn

My old YouTube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/SwordLords1234?feature=mhee

My old build log : http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161872-96-accord-b2-sundown-sky-high-dc-power-re-re-build-for-heatwave/page-37

My New Build - http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/207041-2016-mazda-6-sql-build/

2016 Mazda 6 Touring

JL Fix 86 - OEM signal correction

B2 prototype DSP 6to8

B2 Ref63 - 3 way active set

2 B2 Class H quattro's

1 B2 Zero.5R @.5

2 B2 HNv3 12 d2

B2 SLIP40 - Lithium in the trunk

Northstar Group 35 under the hood

100ft 2/0 welding cable

30ft 4ga welding cable

20ft 8ga welding cable

All stinger OFC speaker wire

Soundrive custom RCA's

Tons of attention to detail.... Can it be perfect?

LOL .... Thank you Sir, but honnestly, I try and keep things VERY simple ...

Most of my music is on a 32 gig flash drive connected to my Kenwood ... Doesn't nowhere near hold all of my music, but does the trick most of the time (I do not use mp3 or any of that, Mostly windows media lossless)when going down the road ...

But when giving demos and competing SQ, I always use a well recorded CD or 2 ... My vehicles are not loud enough to make my well installed CD player skip ... LOL

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Yes we still need qquality H/U if you want to keep music quality and standards up

Garbage in is garbage out with a DSP or not

I can't stand how crappy mp3s sound if anybody like cable guy has a sq system worth a damn knows how bad mp3s really sound

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

I agree with cable guy. I was planning to run my pioneer 80prs to a Rockford 360.3 to run my iPad mini.

But after much debate and research and talking to other audio professionals, they 90% agreed that it would be best to either run the Rockford 360.3 or the pioneer. Running both is a bit too much processing and it would take for ever to get the tuning perfect since ur processing information twice and it is just cleaning to go thru one source before the amplifier

Scion tC SQ Build
iPad mini, lots of fabrication, daily driven
Ford Explorer C Pillar Wall Build

Just a cheap car to destroy with bass :D

Archived