Sundown Audio

Amp to Match to Single Sa-8 v2

wrexxy

I'm putting together a system for my new ride, and had a few questions.

1.) is it more efficient to run an amplifier at higher ohms compared to lower?

-i'd rather not draw unnecessary current, and i'm just trying to decide on the resistance of the voice coils

2.) i've been reading that the sa-8 v2's can handle more than the stated max rms of 500, so i was wondering how much head room i should get when looking for an amp.

-such as, i'm assuming its better to be able to run one amp at say half gain (for heat and other reasons), instead of a different amp at 3/4 gain to achieve the same desired level of output. This also ties back into question one, is it better to run a higher resistance with more over head? instead of running say 1 ohm with little to no overhead?

setup thus far: 0,75ft^3 ported enclosure tuned to 35 Hz (by dave the box guy), car is a WRX hatchback, sub SA-8 v2 (haven't decided on coil resistance yet), and still looking for an amp obviously.

The Alpine MRX-M55 i'm using makes my SA-8 v2 MOVE!

Certificate with the amp says it does 581w @ 2 ohms.

'07 Ford Ranger - DM-608 I E700.4 I SA-CX6.5 v2 I SAZ-1500D 15th (x2) I Zv6 12" D1 I SB500-34 I JP40 I

On 5/21/2015 at 7:07 PM, boom50cal said:

of course he gives no fucks. it's a ford ranger.

only bad mother fuckers drive ford rangers

Is this your first system? Do you think you will stop with the single sa8, or upgrade to a more powerful system down the road? If you think you'll upgrade later (like most on here do) you may want to look at a larger amp and just run it at a higher ohm load on the single 8. For instance, a BC2K puts out 700 @ 4ohms which would be perfect for a single sa8...but also give you the option to bump up to over 2K down the road without having to buy another amp. Just food for thought.

Basically your amp purchase is more important than your sub you choose for headroom down the road. If your pretty sure you'll never upgrade then get something close to rated power of your sub. The less ohms the less efficient the more draw usually. Good luck and keep us posted.

opps forgot to add that stuff. this is my second system. my first was a previous gen alpine type-r 12" in a custom ported enclosure tuned ~ 32Hz. had an alpine m-500 running it, definitely could have taken more, it hit that low note in "Put On" by Young Jeezy like a champ though. Sold that with my old car.

I probably won't be upgrading in the future, i'll be adding power mods however, and don't want to have to upgrade to a larger alternator so that'll deter any upgrades as well. With that said though, I do love my bass.

My budget for an amp is ~$300, can't justify spending more than that on one. However, I'd rather spend a little more $$ and get a more power efficient setup (i.e. 900 rms @ 4 ohm load) and just have the gain turned down so the amp doesn't turn into a hot plate.

---- and on that last post above ^^^ every amp should come with that clipping indicator, genius.

SAZ-1500D @ 2ohms

You need to make sure you set your gains properly. None of that 1/2 gain or 3/4 gain bs. Find someone with either an o-scope, dd-1 or set it using DMM

VbjgkeI.jpg

F6CNB9e.jpg
Team Sundown Audio / Team XS Power / Team SHOK

SMD Super Buyer/Seller

www.sundownaudio.com

www.shokindustries.com

www.4xspower.com

www.excessiveamperage.com

Archived