I am on my 3rd set of bearings in my front left wheel. The first set was bad after an accident. The second set was replaced by the dealer in January. The third set was replaced under warranty by the dealer today.

They told me nothing looked bad (other than the bearing) and I should be good to go. After having it replaced a second time I am not nearly as certain as they are. SO my question is...

What could possibly be causing that bearing to go bad? So the first bearing was probably bad from the accident...I get that. The second one they (dealership) says it was probably a faulty bearing that got put into the car when they replaced the first one. Hopefully that was the issue. But for a second lets assume that it wasn't, and something else is causing that bearing to go bad. What could it be? The car drives just fine at all speeds (I get up to about 80 on the interstate). There are no obvious problems with the steering, suspension or drivetrain. They said the hub looks fine...whatever that means :)

Any ideas?

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Alignment not quite right after the wreck?

Also maybe the axle nut wasn't torqued right? (speaking of which, I need to check mine since I didn't have a torque wrench when I replaced it)

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

Alignment seems to be fine. It isn't perfect but it's no worse than any other non wrecked car I have ever owned. Do the bearings sit inside a hub? If so they said that was ok.

Also I got on the interstate today and I couldn't make out any weird sounds so maybe it is ok.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Someone not capable of installing bearings causing them to fail prematurely by not heating or cooling the hub and knuckle, and applying too much force can cause the bearing surface to chip or crack allowing one or all of the balls to fail, or even a ball to chip or crack leading to failure down the road. Simply put though if it has happened multiple times i would get a JY knuckle and replace that with something that is known to be in good working order.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

if you have replaced 3 bearings in a short amount of itme there is a problem, i dont care what your mechanic said...Now the first one went out ok thats kool, and maybe you got a dud when you put the next one in. But the third one that went in was no reason for that unless something is not right. I think maybe something is bent so it is putting pressure on it at an akward angle and it just knt take it...there could be a couple different things

whats wrong with fat chicks? they are like mopeds, as long as your friends dont see you riding it, they are a blast! hahah

I am dumb as a stump. I live in the south and we are all dumb here.

Alignment seems to be fine. It isn't perfect but it's no worse than any other non wrecked car I have ever owned. Do the bearings sit inside a hub? If so they said that was ok.

Also I got on the interstate today and I couldn't make out any weird sounds so maybe it is ok.

Something could still be slightly bent, though, as said before.

In my case, the bearings on my Rendezvous were built into the hub so I had to replace the whole assembly, similar to this one (has ABS sensors built in)

auto-part-2006-2007-buick-rendezvous-cxl

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

if the knuckle got damaged in some way during the accident, that could be doing it.

That would be my best guess, seems like if you crashed, the knuckle could easily get fuckered up a bit as iirc it messed your wheel up to shit?

I hate long signatures....

...what the fuck is wrong wiht you you fucking fuckity fuck fuck head...

Mtnbikecrazy55 Feedback

Archived