Sundown Audio

Why people not like strapping amps?

Karkov

As title states, I see a lot of people on here swearing up and down they will never strap 2+ amps together. I am curious as to ALL the reasons why?

Truly trying to learn here, not argue.

Thanks in advance. =)

On a complete side note (instead of making new thread) do DC Audio amps do rated? The one(s) I am thinking of going with for a project would need to do what they say they would do rated to be feasible in that application. I.E. under rated? (proper electrical of course)

Never read that people don´t like strapping amp´s. Gainmatching is not beliked, incase it´s difficult.

"in the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty" Bob Marley

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok I will give one reason, the best reason for why you should run strapped. It has to do with ACV and ACC, when strapped you run a much higher ACV, voltage is a good thing keeps stuff cooler. So since you are running a 2 ohm load, your ACV is much higher then running two amps at 1 ohm each unstrapped, meaning the coils run cooler. Due to higher output voltage and lower output current. This is due to shifted power curve since you are now running at a higher impedance overall.

Good write up. Makes sense to me now. Also reinforces my plan to link my amps.

Is there anything RF does differently using the BD sync vs strapping AQ's any other brand??

Personally I have never like strapping amps and have not seen any gain over strapping them vs un-strapping them. I have seen more competitors having issues NOT strapped than strapped.

AMI,

You lost me on the coils running coolers because in the end you are still getting the same power. If your amp does 2000 watts at 1 ohm or 4000 watts at 2 ohm strapped the amps are still running at 1 ohm each. You are still getting the same amount of power to each sub yes?

Some people strap amps and have no issues while others do but I can only go by what I have seen in the audio industry ( which ain't much as I am a nobody).. I have never heard of anyone being able to play longer because their coils are cooler with having their amps strapped vs not having them strapped.

but then again wtf do i know :unknw:

:ninja:

4000 watts at 4 ohms is a lot less current than 4000 watts at 1 ohm. Coils die from too much current, not too much wattage. Higher current just "usually" means more wattage.

I have strapped many amps I don't like to and only strap if ii have to unstrapped amps for me have been more stable no protect problems and allways sound cleaner none strapped now for wiring down or up in ohms strapped miht be the way to go to get your desired ohm load it really depends on the amps how well they do strapped vs not strapped

Also you can not just say strapping amps lowers your ohms I've had amps that raise ohms when strapped

Have you ever had your woofers blown?

If you understand ohms law, you will realize why strapping is better. Do some homework, I can't give all the answers, makes it to easy lol.

once upon a time i read about ohms law on the12volt.com one day i shall reread this piece of wisdom.

AMI customs is louder than you ever will be and you're being a sarcastic dick towards him.

4000 watts at 4 ohms is a lot less current than 4000 watts at 1 ohm. Coils die from too much current, not too much wattage. Higher current just "usually" means more wattage.

correct. for example, 15 amps at 120vac is 1800w.

lets pretend there are no losses just for ease of understanding.

7.5 amps at 240vac is 1800w.

its much more efficient to run house electronics off of 240v. i envy europe and their 240 use lol.

but no really, thats why your electric ovens and central air conditioning systems run off of 240. makes them run more efficiently and lowers your power bill at the same time. 120v window AC units are horribly inefficient when compared to a central AC system that runs off of 240.

If you understand ohms law, you will realize why strapping is better. Do some homework, I can't give all the answers, makes it to easy lol.

This is a very bold statement

You really think 2 amps running strapped at .5

Is better than each amp gain matched an at .25 each?

SCSB

Santa Cruz Speaker Box

Build logs:

Daily Driver Lemon Marquis

2 american bass 750.1s

350.4 on 14 focal 6.5s

sq 945 on 4 hertz tweeters

Mystery subs peepwall.gif

http://www.stevemead...__fromsearch__1

The Mustang 'dubbed' Shirley the project from bullet holes to badass

http://www.stevemead...cond-skin-time/

correct. for example, 15 amps at 120vac is 1800w.

lets pretend there are no losses just for ease of understanding.

7.5 amps at 240vac is 1800w.

its much more efficient to run house electronics off of 240v. i envy europe and their 240 use lol.

but no really, thats why your electric ovens and central air conditioning systems run off of 240. makes them run more efficiently and lowers your power bill at the same time. 120v window AC units are horribly inefficient when compared to a central AC system that runs off of 240.

umm but when you are strapped each amp is still running at 1ohm is it not ? Being strapped at 2 ohm have amps running each at 1 ohm no? so have each amp running at 1 ohm or have each amp running at 1 ohm from being strapped at 2 ohm in which its still running at 1 ohm.. yep fack dis shit iz out

:unknw:

:ninja:

Archived