Second Skin Audio

Ported enclosure for Sundown Audio SD-2 10s?

audiofreak9

Instead of flaming people, why not help them by letting them know what it is about their comment that isn't correct?

It is quite true that larger cabinets will yield better low end response, given that a few other factors are considered.

For sealed boxes, larger volumes lower F3 but, there is a point where the box can be too large and that point is different for each driver.

For ported boxes, larger volumes also allow for lower tuning. A large box can also be tuned high and a small box can be tuned low but, physical limitations limit how low you can tune a small box.

The trade off off larger enclosures is lower power handling and, obviously, the space they take up.

In the end, any time you model a box only for the driver, it will always be much larger than we're used to seeing and, it will be tuned much lower.

So, Speedy's comment wasn't altogether incorrect... it was altogether incomplete.

This forum is here to learn from and teach others as well as to have fun. I'm pretty sure it is not here for the purpose of mocking people for petty self aggrandizement.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

Based on the Subs being used (SD-2 10) which is a shallow mount, I would not recommend going too much bigger than the Sundown recommends. I own an SD-2 and you have to remember they are not designed hit the lows like the X-series. That pre-fab box would probably satisfy your needs. THe SD-2 gets down pretty well.

Archived