IT Jobs/Career...or too late? (IT guys)

Just looking for some advise here. Been in the Army a long time. Will retire in about two years or less I think. Currently working on my BS in IT from an online school (American Military University). So here I will be retired with a few options. I can go into law enforcement/security, some areas of business management due to my experience in the military, a government contract job of some sort or when I finish my degree, the IT field somewhere. My question is this. I understand that I will not be in charge and will be at the bottom of the pole to start in the IT field, but with the market the way it is, will it be possible to find a job that will pay me enough to provide for the wife and two kids still? I will be getting a retirement check every month so that does help at the end of the day but I cant start working at best buy in the geek squad and live, lets just be honest. What do you guys think? Should I get the degree just to say I have one and go into one the other fields I mentioned above or is it possible I can start a job in the IT field and make a decent amount (that amount would probably need to be around 50 to 60 depending on the state and cost of living). Thanks for any input and I am open to any ideas or sites to research things. Just about finished all my general classes so going to dip into the IT area next month.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177477-slowboring-07-trailblazer-build/

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
PRV 8MR400-NDY (eight)

PRV TW350Ti (6)
Sky High 1/0 OFC, 12 gauge and 8 gauge
TM Metalworkz battery terminals

120 sqft Hushmat
XS Power D3100 (6)
Singer 350 Amp Alt

Singer 320 (2)
American Bass SQL3200

JL Audio JX360/4

Crossfire XS 8K (2)

DC Audio XL 15s (6)

VbjgkeI_zpsc016cd1e.jpg

Without experience in the IT field it would be hard to find a job with a starting pay that high unless you are really talented and can show your worth right off the bat. Most of the higher paying jobs require specific certification and/or job experience. You should try to specialize in to security, networking, programming, ect... If you can get in to database design and development that's where the $$$ is but its also a PITA and difficult.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

So there are lots of IT positions that would meet your 50 to 60 (some even more after a few yrs of experience). I was a windows server admin for years and then decided I like cisco routing more. THere is also the security side which some people love and people like me run from. A friend of mine's son is making over 50 writing code for applications. So in IT you gotta pick your track, the money is there.

Its definitely possible with work. As mentioned there are a plethora of things you can do. I'm in the infosec side. One thing you'll want to think about. Coding and application development sounds cool and all but there is always some kid fresh out of school who has the same skillset as you willing to do it for less. Or even worse. Some idiot in india with a manual. Those of us who have been in it a long time tend to be in fields where your experience can not be replaced by some pimple faced kid out of school. We had some interns who thought they were top of the food chain and I had to hand them their ass in a bag.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Cant get a cissp withiut 5 yrs experience and they audit everyone that comes through. Not to mention its a monster of a test.and its not exactly something anyone can do. It tskes a certain mentality to do infosec

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

Cant get a cissp withiut 5 yrs experience and they audit everyone that comes through. Not to mention its a monster of a test.and its not exactly something anyone can do. It tskes a certain mentality to do infosec

Why do they have a minimum amount of work experience in order to apply for the CISSP ...

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

Because its a high level certification. To do work in my field and be paid well for it you need to have it or your resume goes.in the circular file. You can get a jr position without it but alot of companies have a stipulation thst you mist get your cissp within a yr or 18 months etc.infosec is one area that is huge on certs. There are dozens of them. Sans offers like 50 different ones. Theres comptia sec+ and now casp. Cissp cisa cism ceh and on and on. Is it a god field to get in? Absolutely. I dont think 90k is reasonable to start though. Thats where im at and im not a beginner and I am a cissp. Maybe if you are in nyc or la etc you could pull it. I know I told people I wasnt taking less than 125k to go to nyc and they said it was doable.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

Beaker youve got me curious. Do you knoow someone who actually is a cissp that doesnt have any experience and still was certified? They audited me extremely difficult even thiugh I had way more thsn the requirements. I cant see someone managing to get certified without the experience unless they and their sponsor lied.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

My issue will be that my military experience will translate to management since infantry doesn't really have a civilian counterpart, unless hit man or something else is out there but I would prefer to do something legal. I'm pretty sure I'll be a fish out of water at first. I have a few connections also and seems to be a lot of times that its not what you know but who you know. Not sure how true that is for IT though. If I don't end up in the IT field somewhere I will at least have some knowledge of it and can mess around with things at home for a worse case scenario.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177477-slowboring-07-trailblazer-build/

Pioneer DEH-80PRS
PRV 8MR400-NDY (eight)

PRV TW350Ti (6)
Sky High 1/0 OFC, 12 gauge and 8 gauge
TM Metalworkz battery terminals

120 sqft Hushmat
XS Power D3100 (6)
Singer 350 Amp Alt

Singer 320 (2)
American Bass SQL3200

JL Audio JX360/4

Crossfire XS 8K (2)